Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Benefits of having two cats ? Pros & Cons ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

New cat has been with us for 2 months now, on a whim we stopped off at the RSPCA cat home on Sunday afternoon and we all fell in love with another cat…

RSPCA lady thought it would be great if we took another cat (she would), what are the benefits of having another cat ? After watching the BBC2 last week theres no guarantee they’d get on then theres the extra food, insurance etc.

Pros ?

Cons ?

Many thanks in advance

legend
    Free Member

Pro: they can kill you quicker as a pair
    Con: they will kill you quicker as a pair

Jamie
    Free Member

You have a spare if one karks it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

When my mates cat went missing during combine season he wasn’t as bothered as he had a spare.

Yak

I’ve got 2. They came to us as a bonded pair. Whilst they live in very different territories once outdoors, they still spend time grooming each other and play fighting. I have no idea if cats introduced to your house will behave in a similar manner, but if there was a risk that they wouldn’t, then I wouldn’t, unless your house is massive and they can carve out their own territories.

saxabar
    Free Member

Cons: potentially double the amount of live “presents”.
    Pros: I’ll have to ask the cat.

doof_doof
    Free Member

It’s a slippery slope

wallop

Pros: they keep each other company if you go away for a weekend.
    Cons: none.

Drac

Pros: None
    Cons: It’s not 2 dogs.

votchy
    Free Member

Pros: none that I can think of
    Cons: double the sh1t for your neighbours to deal with

although the cons only apply to your neighbours, probably doesn’t bother you!

leffeboy

pros:none
    cons:twice as much sick/wee/crap to clear up. Your house will smell twice as bad
    (edit:I have two cats 🙁 )

loddrik
    Free Member

Got three Siamese, would have had 4 but we just lost one. Cats are great. Couldn’t imagine having just one, or two for that matter. Siamese aren’t like aloof moggies though, they meow constantly and want to be involved in everything you do. They are brilliant company and unlike dogs, don’t smell, wreck the house, can be left alone for as long as need be but are always pleased you see you just like dogs are.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Your house will be twice as disgusting and twice less welcoming to dinner guests

Pigface
    Free Member

Pros double the fun

Cons none

I love cats 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

Here’s our new one. She’s about 15 weeks now.

And the other two…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Pros:
    When we had one cat she got very needy.
    Getting another meant they keep each other company when we’re out.
    They are amusing to watch as they play/fight with each other.

Cons:
    Twice as much food, shit and vet bills.
    They might not like each other. Mine do, but I had some foster cats before and sometimes there are personality clashes that are unresolvable.

cranberry
    Free Member

If the cats get on ( mine are siblings )

Pros:

They keep each other company
    Twice the fun

Cons:

The occasional sound of banjos

grum
    Free Member

There was an article recently about the ways people stress out their cats and one was having more than one. Most cats actually don’t enjoy other cats company apparently. Our two certainly don’t.

Stoner
    Free Member

you can load both barrels.

northernmatt

Pros: You’ll have two cats
    Cons: You’ll have two cats

Also this
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKgfjiIvalk[/video]

Frodo

If you get another cat with one already well established there will be a bit of hissing and fighting. Best to introduce slowly and allow each of them their own safe space until they get used to each other.

I’ve done it twice and it always works out in the end.

Two cats are great, just remember slip over the threshold to 3 and its a slippery slope to the crazy cat man/women!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

They will kill twice as many birds, rodents, voles and insects. Another nail in the coffin for native fauna.

irc

Our 2 cats don’t get on. Best answer if you want a second cat is to tell the RSPCA you’ll take one on a trial basis to see if they work together. That way there is no problem if you need to give the cat back after a couple of months.

On balance getting our second cat was probably a plus for the first though. Cat 1 was bullied by other cats when outside. Cat 2 is a bruiser which has made our garden a neighbours cat free zone. So cat 1 can enjoy being outside more. He still avoids cat 2 as much as possible though inside or out.

zippykona

How about you don’t buy a cat and donate it’s running costs to a cat charity.
    Everyone’s a winner.

sandwicheater

More to go in a pie. No one likes a low ratio of meat to sauce.

VanHalen

How about you don’t buy a cat and donate it’s running costs to a cat charity.
    Everyone’s a winner.

how about you dont buy a cat and go to teh pub?
    you’re a winner.

am ‘looking after’ one cat would never get another

Marge
    Free Member

Pros: When your partner drives over one of them you still have the other one left.

Cons: when your partner drives over one of them the other becomes lonely

Sad (very) but true (with kids in car too) 🙁

mogrim

We’ve got two – got the first as a kitten, then the second followed me home about a month later. They get on fine, keep each other company, twice the fun. Do it.

binners

They can destroy your furniture in half the time. The little bastards!! 👿

There was a readers letter in Viz

Cats can be expensive to feed. Replicate the joy of cat ownership by not having one, then simply shredding your own furniture with a stanley knife

Anyway… we got our two about a year apart. The first as a kitten, the second as a rescue cat. They get on fine, generally follow each other about, sleep on the same bed, then have mad half hours every morning where they behave like feral teenagers, chasing each other about, pouncing on each other, and generally wrecking the house

Collectively they are furry angels of death to the local rodent population. Twice as many ‘gifts’ for you in the morning

hels
    Free Member

It kinda depends on the Cats. I had a brother and sister, they were great together. It was terrible when the brother died young, she looked for him around the house for weeks.

Cats who don’t know each other can be a problem, one may get quite stressed.

The younger they are the more likely they are to get on.

My cat’s current attitude to other cats is PAINFUL DEATH TO ALL INTERLOPERS.

DenDennis
    Free Member

pro – may get some mutual benefit, as:

may get some chance of some real affection- my (unofficially adopted) cat rather than the ‘pleased to see you ‘ type is more of the ‘I see you have returned- Feed me Now’ attitude

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, introducing a kitten you our seven year-old cat was a bit of a mistake really as the kitten is quite aggressive and has upset the older cat, although so far she hasn’t rehoused herself, probably because there isn’t a sweet old lady nearby who can be conned into feeding her.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Pro – You have enough fur to make a pair of slippers

Con – You have 2 cats in the house until you decide to make yourself a nice warm pair of slippers.

We have 2 tabby’s, brother and sister. They get on well, fill the garden with cat s*** and every item of clothing in the house is covered in cat hair. Oh, and when I am having a well deserved chill out on the sofa they walk over my lap and stand on my bollocks on the way past, every time.

VanHalen

Oh, and when I am having a well deserved chill out on the sofa they walk over my lap and stand on my bollocks on the way past, every time.

our loaned cat does this too. I’m sure its coz she knows i’d prefer to bury it in the pump track than feed it.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Woah, hang on. You have a pump track!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Benefits of having two cats ? Pros & Cons ?’ is closed to new replies.