Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • benefits – disability allowance etc….
  • sadexpunk

never had to claim anything in my life before, so never looked into these, but my lads got mental issues, is in a local MHU and just turned 18 and sorting these out. from what he says, to me the system seems as tho it chucks money at people for no reason. he may be wrong in what he says so thought id ask on here, just out of general interest.

basically i think he says he gets ESA or something, which seems to be what everybody on benefits gets? ’employment support allowance’ is it?. hes also classed as unable to work due to his mental issues, so will eventually get DLA? ‘disability living allowance’ possibly? at present theyre looking to get him in some rehab/supported housing where he will be buying his own food. he says he will get a bit more then for that.

firstly, why does he get anything at all now? he’s in MHU so is fed and watered, he has clothes, and no bills.
    secondly, ok, lets say hes entitled to whatever it is you get when youre out of work. why then would anyone be entitled to a DLA just because youre unable to work? you would have exactly the same outgoings and needs as if you were able to work but unemployed. you dont have to pay out any more bills, buy any more food just cos youre too ill to work. surely you should just get the same as if you werent ill, except you wont be hassled to look for jobs?

he mentioned someone in the MHU who he says has admitted being there just for the mental illness diagnosis so he can claim DLA extra.

can anyone tell me if what im hearing is correct? ive always heard about ‘spongers’ claiming loads and being on more than people at work, and believe thats probably true, but thought thatd prob be people with a fair few kids.

am i ignorant to whats going on? i made these points to him earlier, about why he should get anything at all when hes got no outgoings (apart from his baccy that is) >-( and he said the social probably feel sorry for people with illnesses, and you have to have a bit of spending money dont you 😀 bless. nice caring government.

anyone care to give a quick overview as to how the system works? if only i were prime minister! id save this country m(b)illions! 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your lad has problems .All I know through a relations experience is that he goes through all sorts of assessments to try and get him able to work and to try and work out which benefit ie DLA he is entitled to

munrobiker
    Free Member

The system has to be relatively general to cover the majority of circumstances- and that means a system that will sometimes be inefficient but generally does good.

Although the current lot seem to be doing their best to punish the 95% who are in genuine need of support in order to stamp out the 5% spent on scroungers and people who are in situations like your son.

scotroutes

FTFY

Philby

There’s lots of info here on the different benefits and qualification criteria for people with some form of disability:
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_sick_or_disabled_people_and_carers_ew.htm

Hope this helps.

munrobiker
    Free Member

druidh- I didn’t want to be so bold, but you’re right. But I’m sure there’s some swivel-eyed loons on here that would prefer to read 95/5 than the truth.

bails

You think someone with a serious, ongoing disability (not necessarily your son as I don’t know the full situation there, obviously) should only receive what is intended as a ‘stop gap’ benefit to tide people over between jobs?

I would assume living in a MHU is a short term measure? So the benefit is appropriate for the majority of people the majority of the time, but the small % that are in a MHU receive the benefit while not having the outgoings of other people. Frankly, as a taxpayer, I don’t particularly worry about that!

Junkyard
    Free Member

s he gets ESA or something, which seems to be what everybody on benefits gets?

Most get Income support

’employment support allowance’ is it?.

Which is essentiall long term sick and unable to worl

hes also classed as unable to work due to his mental issues, so will eventually get DLA?

Depends but it is not related to employment – ie you get it whether in work or not in work
    Mental health tends to be a strange one as it usually does not affect your ability to walk or do basic tasks

you would have exactly the same outgoings and needs as if you were able to work but unemployed. you dont have to pay out any more bills, buy any more food just cos youre too ill to work

Say you are in a wheelchar – you need a car , taxis . house additions etc, It is designed for meeting those additional needs so yes they do have more bills

ive always heard about ‘spongers’ claiming loads and being on more than people at work, and believe thats probably true

No offence but its pretty clear you know nothing about the system
    a single person gets about £75 a week and is unlikely to get all their rent paid for example
    FWIW it is basically set up so you are always better off in work – the difference may be negligible but that is Daily Mail type BS

Go and see a welfare rights adviser locally if you want proper advice

Sorry to hear about your son

iolo
    Free Member

I am bipolar and get dla. Cab visit the mhu unit. Tell him to ask his social worker to sort it out. Dla is on top of whatever else you get.
    Anything you need to know mail is in profile.

sadexpunk

No offence but its pretty clear you know nothing about the system

correct. totally ignorant. only just starting to find out how its set up. social worker is on the case, so i dont actually have to sort anything myself, but it just didnt sound right that he would get extra for stuff that wont cost him extra.

right, so ESA is a long term sick unable to work jobby is it? and DLA is for extra (wheelchair users, cabs, visits to hospital etc)
    thanks, understood.

ill have a look at that link too thanks philby.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘benefits – disability allowance etc….’ is closed to new replies.