Bench press (the gym kind)

Home Forum Chat Forum Bench press (the gym kind)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bench press (the gym kind)
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Is bench pressing 90kg the same as doing a pressup from the floor if you weigh 90kg?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Only if you keep your feet off the floor during the press up….

organic355

you must have some man boobies to be benching 90Kg??

Think my max is around 60-65, but I am only ickle.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Hmm.. thinking about it.. it’s cos you are only moving your centre of mass half as far… Given your CoM is about half way down your body then your effective leverage ratio is slightly over 1:2 since your shoulders are not at the top of your head.

So maybe a pressup at 90kg is comparable to a bench press of say.. 50kg..

5thElefant

Only if you keep your feet off the floor during the press up….

They’d have to be directly above your head. Then it wouldn’t be like a bench press…

Not many people can bench press 90kg at all.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Not many people can bench press 90kg at all.

I used to think benching large numbers was impressive, but since discovering The Snatch, I’ve lost all interest in benching. However, it’s going to take me a few years (or possibly forever) to get to Snatching 90kg.

but since discovering The Snatch, I’ve lost all interest in benching

yeah, I lost interest in a lot of things after this…

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

🙂 @ Rusty

5thElefant

Not really comparable. Snatch is a skill more than anything. I could shoulder press 90kg in my meat head days. If I’d attempted to snatch 90 I’d have taken out half the gym…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The what?

mrmonkfinger

@ molly

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Snatch.html

pressup probably represents 50%-60% of bodyweight as a bench press.

More comparable, bench press own bodyweight ~= one arm pressup.

@ 5thelefant

90kg ohp is damn good going, chapeau

Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

Bench Press is a weird exercise and relies a lot on making sure you’re activating the right muscle groups by having the bar in the right place. A lot of people let the bar float up too close to their head which isn’t good and also limits how much they can lift.

As said above, if you weigh 90KG you would have to have all your weight over your hands so you’d effectively be hand standing which would engage your shoulders and back more than your chest.

If you need to do press ups but body weight ones aren’t challenging enough just throw a backpack on with some weight plates in it and do press ups with that on.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

OK 1st video seemed corrupt, so try again:

More snatching and cleaning / jerking that you can shake a stick at….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7TjBQ0CNTg[/video]

oli82

your effective leverage ratio is slightly over 1:2

That sounds about right – I was told that a press up is approx 60% of body weight as a bench press.

torsoinalake

Awaits a Molgrips ‘What is a rotator cuff?’ thread.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Bench Press is a weird exercise and relies a lot on making sure you’re activating the right muscle groups by having the bar in the right place. A lot of people let the bar float up too close to their head which isn’t good and also limits how much they can lift.

Ironically I was benching 95kg with the bar in completely the wrong place i.e. floating shoulders. It’s only in the last year I’ve learnt how to do it properly, although I’ve stopped now to focus on learning the Olympic lifts, which seems to take about three years to get half decent skill wise before strength becomes the limiting factor.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

I guess you could leverage your press ups by raising feet onto a low bench. That’s what we used to do to improvise a bigger effort.

one handed press-up FTW 🙂 could only ever really manage that with one side bizarrely.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’ve been doing pressups with my toes on a chair or the bed. Impossible at first but became no harder than normal presups quite quickly. Really works my abs, that.

I might try one-handed again. I have tried before but I keep falling over 🙂

wrecker

I’m loving working with the rings at the moment. Ring dips are ridiculously hard! Roll outs are the best ab/core exercise I’ve ever done.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I’m loving working with the rings at the moment. Ring dips are ridiculously hard! Roll outs are the best ab/core exercise I’ve ever done.

I bought a set, cheapest gym kit by far (about £15 off Ebay). Good for press-ups as well, really work the shoulders at the same time.

I’d like to try to learn muscle-ups, but need to mount the rings off the roof beam in the workshop, which means cutting through all the plaster board / insulation to expose it and drill some bolts..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI75pYZl-vA[/video]

akip

Also try some press-up variations, with and without your toes up higher than the floor.

Vary your arm-width, everywhere from both right under your chest touching each other to as wide as you can get them while still having some range-of-motion.

Vary the position of your arms from down by your navel (might have to turn your wrists outward, or do them using your fists) to over your head.

I found a great way to start approximating a one-arm press-up was to position my arms at shoulder height, wider than my shoulders, and then do the following. Start in the normal finishing position. Move your body over to one side (feet stay where they are). Lower yourself. Staying low, move your body over to the other side. Press straight up. Move body back to middle finishing position. Then do the same, but in the other direction. The off-side arm gets to help a little during the press-up, the amount depending on how wide your arms are.

wrecker

I’d like to try to learn muscle-ups,

That’s my aim, need to master the dip first! It’s so much harder than bar dips (can do >20 on the bar)

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

It’s so much harder than bar dips (can do >20 on the bar)

I think ring stuff is supposed to be twice as hard as using a bar.

I’ve been reliably told that to one one muscle up you need to be able to do something like 40 dips and 20 pull ups!

jools182

I still can’t do pull ups

Been trying the dumbbell squat press the last few weeks, it’s hard work but I think I’ve got a bit better

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Been trying the dumbbell squat press the last few weeks, it’s hard work but I think I’ve got a bit better

Like everything, you just need to keep at it.

A good intro to lifting weights is Dan John’s book: Never Let Go. Very readable and down to earth: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Let-Go-Philosophy-Learning/dp/1931046387

Keva

I’ve been reliably told that to one one muscle up you need to be able to do something like 40 dips and 20 pull ups!

I could do those muscle ups. I do a similar thing every time I climb into the loft hatch here at home. I can’t do 20 pull ups though, 15 would be a struggle. Not sure how many dips but probably more than 40.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Just tried handstanding against a wall and doing pushups with my whole bodyweight that way. Did about two!

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

2 more than i could do last time i tried 😀

you trying to do just bodyweight exercises mate? have you read ‘convict conditioning’ if so?

allthepies

ND wrote:

I’m loving working with the rings at the moment

Is this a response to the snatch approach ?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Just tried handstanding against a wall and doing pushups with my whole bodyweight that way. Did about two!

and it gave the other people at the bus stop something to watch whilst they waited too.

mrjmt

A progession from the decline (raised feet) press-up would be a decline spider press-up. Bring one knee close to your elbow as you lower into the press, then back to the bench when you raise.
    Either alternate during the sets or alternate legs per set.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

you trying to do just bodyweight exercises mate?

I thought I’d try a few, haven’t managed to get to the gym yet.

I found that the hotel bed is perfect for bench pressing – I can lie with my head under it and push it up. Not heavy enough though, I may have to lay my bike on it!

I’ll try those spiderman ones.. look good. The handstand thing seems like it’d be good for general conditioning, it’s quite hard to stay neat and tidy when doing it.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Just came across this video:

Roman Eremashvili 210kg Bench Press at 67.5kg

Rather impressive for such a small guy, although he looks a lot bigger than 67kg!

“This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria . I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.”

dobo

bench press aint that interesting or useful to me and not got proper weights so cant do snatch properly, i know very unfortunate!
    but recently been doing thrusters with 40kg thats pretty good workout, fairly easy on the legs but really gets your heart blowing. maybe snatch would be better?
    follow that up with a little burpee pyramid from 10 to 1 and then 5 sets of pullups for a tough little workout. its the base of my workout for my obstacle training

bamford

http://www.youtube.com/user/alkavadlo/videos

watch all of his workout videos, you’ll learn a lot!!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/user/nashmedina/videos

also

http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialBarstarzz/videos

they all possess ridiculous strength!!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bench press (the gym kind)’ is closed to new replies.