Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • Ben Nevis
  • somafunk

am certainly curious to know more, where should I look please?

Every single MRT in the country do not want such a scheme, good enough?, failing that then have a read of Cairngorm John – A life in mountain rescue, available for a few £, should satisfy your curiosity and put paid to the stupid idea of charging for rescues

trail_rat
    Free Member

a large part of their reasoning being that if it delays the call coming through till its a life and death situation because your worried about paying they dont want that on their conscience .

its much easier to bring back walking wounded than to carry out a body.

ads678

Reckon those that needed rescuing are a bit stupid of going out in those conditions. But the mountain rescue guys must secretly enjoy it when they get called out on a proper call in proper weather, When they can use their serious toys and stuff.

mashr

cinnamon_girl

Subscriber

Oh do stop it scotroutes!

You cant speak to him like that, he lives in the Highlands don’t you know!?

johndoh
    Free Member

Not really a black and white situation – and as i said who makes that call .

But the article we are discussing is a clear case of stupidity and that is what we are discussing here, yes?

They said the tourists who were caught in blizzard conditions had “no ice axes, no crampons and as far as we are aware no maps”. Three of them were wearing trainers.

Stupid. And dangerous.

Mr Harris said the people were on a day trip, rather than being experienced hillwalkers

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

who decides what was stupid and what was misfortune ?

Are you seriously suggesting that going out in the highlands in the middle of winter in trainers and ending up getting rescued is just misfortune and not stupidity?

trail_rat
    Free Member

no im suggesting that a pay per rescue scheme is stupidity.

zilog6128

But the mountain rescue guys must secretly enjoy it when they get called out on a proper call in proper weather, When they can use their serious toys and stuff.

+1 If they are apparently happy with the status quo then let it continue. I have no doubt it’s fun (even if Type 2 fun 😃) 99% of the time, just like being on the Lifeboats.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mr Harris said the people were on a day trip, rather than being experienced hillwalkers

so not educated in hillcraft and probably no idea what they are doing was stupid. its often witnessed.

easy to judge from ivory towers of experiance and knowing what your doing.

Afterall – how hard can it be.

edlong
    Free Member

Perhaps there should be a requirement to repay a proportion of the costs involved in their rescue.

I wonder if MRT charged the unprepared climbers people might be less inclined to go out in conditions they’re not prepared for?

No need to wonder, it’s rather like the situation in the USA if you’re ill but don’t have insurance.

People won’t call for help when they’re a bit in the shit, because of the cost. So they’ll wait until they’re up to their necks in the shit, and it’s even more dangerous for both them and their rescuers.

johndoh
    Free Member

Afterall – how hard can it be.

Agreed. So it was stupid of them to attempt it.

Just like it would be stupid for me to attempt to scuba dive without the proper equipment or experience.

scotroutes

You can have ALL the gear and still be stupid.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im not sure what your point is .

as ive said before – the people on ben nevis were stupid.

how ever my point is – to get into such a rediculous situation suggests they were unaware they were being stupid.

further to that and entirely separate (so lets not try dragging them together)

enforced pay per rescue for MRT is stupid – not just my opinion but of those qualified to comment.

johndoh
    Free Member

You can have ALL the gear and still be stupid.

Agreed, but at least you would be better prepared to cope with the conditions. But as I said, we (well me anyway) aren’t discussing the wider argument about what constitutes stupid. I am simply saying that I feel these people were stupid doing what they did.

to get into such a rediculous situation suggests they were unaware they were being stupid.

Perhaps. It doesn’t absolve them of stupidity though (IMO)

BadlyWiredDog

Can I suggest Grough as an ideal resource for those of you who like to indulge in a bit of bit of virtual Schadenfreude. It never fails to delight with its endless tales of hill-going misfortune and the brave deeds of MRTs. It really is the most miserable web-site ever:

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/

tomd
    Free Member

@tjagain

There is a big difference between those with the skills knowledge and equipment to be out in the hills who make mistakes and those without those three things.

I’m not really comfortable with this logic. If you look at the actual human errors people make when needing rescued, the experienced people often deserve the most blame.

Inexperienced walkers (like this lot) often make knowledge based mistakes. e.g. they don’t even understand the need to check the mountain weather forecast, never mind interpret it. They take a shortcut accross a snowslope not relaising the risk etc. Basically the **** up through ignorance.

Experienced walkers often make skill based errors (i.e. they don’t use equipment properly, or misread a map). They also make violation type errors – this might be things like stretching the daylight to get an extra summit, not taking an extra jacket to save weight, not leaving route details, using a crusty old climbing gear past it’s sell by date, going out for a walk with a bad hangover or when ill, ignoring the weather forecast.

Violation type errors, especially where the motivation is some sort of personal benefit, tend to be regarded as the worst kind of errors. As in, you know what you should do but didn’t.

nedrapier

“A little learning is a dangerous thing ;
    Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring :
    There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
    And drinking largely sobers us again.”

This was printed on the frontispiece of the book I (largely) taught myself to climb with, “Snow and Ice Climbing” by John Barry.

Much wisdom in those words and the rest of the poem if you can be bothered reading it!

Wise words, I’ll look up the rest. Ta!

Funny you should mention John Barry. I spent a few trips kicking about Chamonix with his son (also John Barry). I’ve got this photo of him on my wall from a day we got a bit wrong. We started too late, amazing route in amazing light – it wasn’t as dark then as this photo makes out, but we definitely finished benighted with some horrible/hilarious combat skiing through porrigdey snow, brush and stream crossings down to the MB Tunnel entrance.

null

Young JB called older JB for a lift home as it was so late. Request refused, probably to help us ‘Drink deep… and sober us again’ but I guess mostly as he didn’t fancy the drive and we were already down fine.

Hitched a lift back. Bloody great day, partly due to the adverturesome ending. Who knows how close we came to a wrong turn and a rescue, who knows what the balance of stupid v. unlucky verdicts would have been on our situation.

MoreCashThanDash

Do you want to be part of a society that punishes people, or even chooses to let them die, for making a decision that is judged to be stupid on some agreed scale, or would you rather we rescue them, and educate them and others through the experience?

That’s pretty much the options. I know which I’d rather choose, and it’s why I donate to the rescue services, and spend time supporting groups that help educate young people to get out in the wilds safely. (And I’m sure most of the rest of you do, though it’s all too easy to go all Daily Wail at this level of stupidity)

tjagain

tomd

Experienced walkers often make skill based errors (i.e. they don’t use equipment properly, or misread a map). They also make violation type errors

cite?

– thats not my experience or understanding of the majority of accidents at all.

Yes its the holey cheese theory but things occur to even the best equipped and most experienced folk on the hills.

The rescues that really annoy me are the ones enabled by modern phones. ie those that a generation ago would have been self rescues ie broken collar bones type of thing

BTW – Scotroutes is perhaps one of the most experienced hillwalkers on here bar perhaps Matt OAB?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The rescues that really annoy me are the ones enabled by modern phones. ie those that a generation ago would have been self rescues ie broken collar bones type of thing

Not even on the same scale as the amount of nitwits that take their dogs into the mountains and the dog needs rescued! 😂

johndoh
    Free Member

The rescues that really annoy me are the ones enabled by modern phones.

I think the people in this event would be dead if it wasn’t for their mobiles (specifically the app What3Words).

tomd
    Free Member

In incident investigation human errors (eg. deciding to take to the hills in a winter storm) get categorised into diffent buckets. A common set used the UK HSE are https://www.hse.gov.uk/humanfactors/topics/types.pdf

The errors made by Grade 1 Numpties are very often “inadvertent”. Whereas for more experienced people you will often see “deliberate” errors creep in. People violate rules and practices for all kinds of reasons but often its because of some kind of benefit, either to themselves or others. And that’s why it’s often the most blameworthy kind of error.

Anyway, just another perspective on it. I get to lead investigations into industrial accidents as part of my job and I generally have quite a bit of sympathy for the common or garden reprobates.

ayjaydoubleyou

Publicise* the cost of the rescue and give them a nod towards the donation bucket.

* not in the tabloids, please. Maybe MRT and Ben Nevis visitor centre facebook page.

Might inspire decades of sponsored walks from the rescued and their descendants now that the have a “saved my life” story.

I wouldn’t be comfortable on any compulsory payment** unless fat layabout do-nothings get charged for their inevitable slow NHS death.

** by which I mean an out of pocket fine for being rescued, which seems to be some peoples comments. The european insurance system is a rather different kettle of fish – paying a 2 figure sum annually whether you use it or not doesn’t have the same discouraging effect does it?

tjagain

So tomd – where do you get your stats on mountain incidents? I understand theory of errors as used in a medical context but I would like you to back up your statements on mountain incidents please.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

or would you rather we rescue them, and educate them and others through the experience?

I’d rather we rescue them, give them a right royal bollocking and threat of police charges against them, then educate them through the experience.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’d rather we rescue them, give them a right royal bollocking and threat of police charges against them, then educate them through the experience.

what will that achieve other than rising death tolls ?

tomd
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’ve called on any stats about mountain incidents TJ, just some reasoning that the moral judgement being made on the ignorant seems to excuse the often more reckless behaviour of experienced outdoorsy people. Folk killing themselves in the mountains by and large are not tourists wearing flip flops.

I’d suggest that there’s an element of tribalism – as in at its core mounatin rescue was set up to help fellow mountaineers. When people need rescured who’re outside of “our group” we have negative perceptions of their actions.

matt_outandabout

BTW – Scotroutes is perhaps one of the most experienced hillwalkers on here bar perhaps Matt OAB?

I’ve barely been in the hills. Far too bloody dangerous.
    If ever I twist my ankle on rough ground I’ll be before the firing squad for making such an elemental mistake.

Futureboy77

@tomd I think you are stretching things applying HSE HF guidance to a “recreational” incident.

Firstly, I understand that those involved in this incident were not UK nationals so may have been wholly ignorant of anticipated conditions on the Ben (and potentially unaware of the issued weather warnings, English was not spoken by the group according to a member of MRT on the radio this evening).

Also, HF guidance assumes a level of task based experience, training and competency before a violation occurs. Again, given my para above, this was potentially lacking or at best inappropriate in this case.

I have shaken my head at some MRT reports over the years, but on this occasion I get an impression it was just the ignorant being caught out.

As recommended by others, Cairngorm John is a great book for those interested.

My perspective on this one comes from being a lead incident investigator and HSE professional in a major accident hazard industry who has been involved in writing HF guidance docs for said industry. I also like walking in the Highlands in winter 👍

I have also never referred to anyone as a numptie or reprobate following a proper investigation.

tjagain

Tomd

Experienced walkers often make skill based errors (i.e. they don’t use equipment properly, or misread a map). They also make violation type errors – this might be things like stretching the daylight to get an extra summit, not taking an extra jacket to save weight, not leaving route details, using a crusty old climbing gear past it’s sell by date, going out for a walk with a bad hangover or when ill, ignoring the weather forecast.

Where do you get this info from? Its certainly not what I understand but my info is only anecdotal. Stretching the daylight and not having an extra jacket would not lead generally to an MRT callout

tjagain

Matt – you need to change your name you charlatan!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stretching the daylight and not having an extra jacket would not lead generally to an MRT callout

Where are you getting that from?.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stretching the daylight and not having an extra jacket would not lead generally to an MRT callout

That is the attitude that often leads to those factors being fundimental in some mrt call outs.

They seem inconsequential but darkness falling and hypothermia are prime reasons for nav errors.

redmex
    Free Member

I think it’s a case of know your limits, what looks a short distance on a map can take you ages to walk if tired, cold, hungry,wet and the mood has dropped big time . They didn’t even take a map to see where the orange lines are very close almost touching. A walk up to the cic hut would have been great in the storm but even that wearing trainers would have been scary. I’ve a lot more respect for the guy who’s tent fell out with him and run off with the wind, he made fundamental mistakes but hopefully learned from it a wee while back

tomd
    Free Member

Futureboy, I think we’re at cross purposes I said it was very unlikely that the people in this case violated any rules because they wouldn’t know what they are. I was making the point that experienced outdoor people do violate rules all the time and potentially are more morally accountable for the ballache they cause.

The human error model translates pretty well to all human task based activities, recreational or not. It doesn’t assume any particular knowledge of a task it just affects what types of errors are likely. Like you I’m speaking about this as an experienced incident investigator / hf lead at the pointy end of uk comah sites.

Tj – those were examples of errors that experienced people make that get them in the shit and contribute to needing rescued.

Spin
    Free Member

Tj – those were examples of errors that experienced people make that get them in the shit and contribute to needing rescued.

Most of the mountain rescue reports I’ve seen suggest slips, trips and stumbles are the main reasons for call outs among experienced hill goers.

Some of the stuff you mentioned might contribute to that but many of the things you mentioned don’t.

tjagain

Those things can exacerbate other errors. They will not be direct cause bit could be exacerbating factors

Mistake driven accidents usually need multiple errors before they become critical

Accidents usually just the accident

thegreatape
    Free Member

A January day few years ago, but nonetheless…

Caller – ‘Hi, I just wanted to check, is there a road to the top of Ben Nevis?’

Me – ‘Er, not really, there’s a footpath’

Caller – ‘Can you drive to the top though?’

Me – ‘No’

Caller – ‘But there are streetlights all the way up?’

Me – ‘Er, no.’

Caller – ‘OK, but it’s still open isn’t it?’

Me – ‘….hang on….Sorry, I’ve just checked, and Ben Nevis is closed until the spring. Maybe come back in the summer’

Caller – ‘OK, cheers mate’

You’re welcome.

Waderider
    Free Member

Was last up Ben Nevis a week ago tonight, alone. Lovely, but if I twisted my ankle what would you have made of me?

These folks where foreign tourists and very innocent. What is needed here is to rename the “tourist path” the “roughty toughty mountaineers hard as nails path”.

These folks are culpable in spite of their innocence because of the weather at sea level on the day. It was gopping even for winter, violent squalls of hail and snow. Some thunder and lightning mixed in with it too.

Well done LMRT.

scotroutes

These folks where foreign tourists and very innocent. What is needed here is to rename the “tourist path” the “roughty toughty mountaineers hard as nails path”.

True, but there aren’t there warning signs on the approaches to the path?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Ben Nevis’ is closed to new replies.