• This topic has 30 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by LD.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ben Nevis…
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Looking at spending a few days in Fort William in the summer and was thinking about maybe walking up Ben Nevis.
    Who’s done it, how long did it take at what sped and how far is it?

Is it a “family walk” or a bit more than that?

Thinking about dragging wife and kids (7&9) up there, is that a daft idea?
    Thanks in advance

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My OH ‘made it’ about 2/3rds of the way up, the single dad and three kids (6 – 9 ish) that overtook us made it to the top and the kids seemed fine. So yes, it’s a family walk unless the most exercise you’ve done in years is play Candy Crush.

After abandoning her to the wolves in a scene straight out of the Revernant (as she tells it) I jogged to the top and most of the way back down again.

martinhutch

Take lots of bribes to keep the kids moving. There will be much moaning, and it is further than it looks. Take plenty of water and warm kit.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Depends which route you’re planning to use..

davidjey
    Free Member

Ben Nevis is, in my opinion, a bit of a dull walk, at least if you go up the tourist route. The microclimate means you are unlikely to see much at the top except cloud, and the top half of the climb is a seemingly endless trudge up featureless scree.

Unless all of you (the whole family, not just you) are dead set on walking to the highest point in Britain, pick another nice walk to do instead.

To answer your original question, allow all day.

matt_outandabout

David_jey is spot on, with the warning it is Britain’s biggest hill so is chuffing big, prone to extreme weather even in July, including fog that means you need map and compass.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree with previous two, it’s not the most inspiring of walks. Drive to glencoe and up buachaille etive mor, a peach of a walk and far better views imo. Shorter walk too.

Spin
    Free Member

Depends on how fit you and the family are. If you’re all quite active it shouldn’t be a problem but you can still expect to take somewhere in the region of 4 hours to get to the top. The path is rough, busy and not particularly interesting as others have pointed out. Also, the weather can be grim so pick a good day if you do go. It was snowing up there last week.

If you’re looking for a shorter, more scenic walk then the walk through Nevis Gorge to Steal Meadows and the Shoogly Bridge should not be missed.

For an alternative on the Ben that gives you spectacular views and is shorter then consider walking up from the North Face car park at Torlundy to the CIC hut.

If you just want to get to the top of something get the gondola at Nevis Range and walk to the top of Aonach Mor. Gives you great views into the north face of the Ben which is spectacular and unseen on the Ben tourist path.

BoardinBob

I haven’t done it, but sitting in the Glen Nevis campsite, it looks like a thoroughly miserable experience.

Nothing to do with the physical effort, scenery etc. Just the fact that the main tourist path looks like Oxford Street on the Saturday before christmas. Hundreds of people traipsing up and down. To be fair I am a bit of a misanthrope but the thought of hundreds of people milling around on the summit doesn’t really strike me as a particularly pleasant day out. Plenty of other quieter peaks in the area, that also offer a much nicer climb etc.

Spin
    Free Member

Drive to glencoe and up buachaille etive mor,

If you’re talking about the route up Coire na Tulaich I don’t think that’s suitable for inexperienced walkers with a 7 year old. No offence to the OP!

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been quite a few times most recently last month during what passes as Scotland’s ‘summer’. That particular day was spectacular but most of the time the weather on the hill is relentlessly, overwhelmingly, apocalyptically shit even when it’s OK-ish at the base.

If you go up the tourist path by the time you get to the halfway lochan you are nowhere near the summit. Seriously. Do not have a break and eat your sandwiches. There is nowhere in the UK where there is so much uphill. A reasonable start say 9-10 am will see you on the summit by 2 maybe 3 and then there is the mind-blowing walk back down. If there’s no-one around be careful not to walk over the summit cornice and fall 1000ft.

Obv there are other more interesting routes to the top but you need to know where you’re going and what you’re doing. good luck

globalti
    Free Member

It’s a massive walk especially for kids. Don’t do it unless you are all mountain fit; the climb won’t be too bad but the descent will kill your legs. There are so many other nce walks you can do. Drive down Glen Etive and find the swimming pool about half way down where the road meets the river.

muzzle
    Free Member

I did it a few years ago; trudged up the tourist route which was a bit of a dull grind, but then came down via the Carn Mor Dearg arete – which was spectacular (although probably not suitable for kids as it’s quite exposed in places).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

David_jey is spot on, with the warning it is Britain’s biggest hill so is chuffing big, prone to extreme weather even in July, including fog that means you need map and compass.

I’d agree with a map and compass, if it’s foggy on top you wouldn’t be the first person to walk off the wrong side.

But it’s not ‘big’ in the scale of mountains, and I actually quite enjoyed the walk, but then I do have a tendency to enjoy ‘type 2 fun’ more than most if there’s a target to reach. And despite the potential for death the most likely danger is probably sunburn. Do take layers/waterproofs though, I went from waterproofs + trousers -> shorts + t-shirt -> fleece, at least 3 seasons in a day.

VanHalen

its a long way but not hard.

the path at the top is quite well defined on the main route.

it is not interesting though. The walk up the north side to teh bothy/hut and traversing around teh around the side to the lake is much nicer. i just wished i had my bike.

cinnamon_girl

Avoid a weekend where there’ll be hordes of ill-prepared charity walkers coupled with arsey walkers using poles as weapons.

We went up late afternoon and reaching the summit on a glorious evening was one of the highlights of my life. The view was simply stunning.

First leg of 3 peaks 24 hour challenge – hangs head in shame.

spacey

Agree it’s a dull trudge. Zig zags through the boulder field in particular.

BUT it inspired my wife to want to do more hill walking. The sense of achievement of getting to the summit of Britain is not to be under estimated (particularly to the uninitiated!). More hills, lead to climbing and bikes and a love of everything mountainous. I trace it back to that trudge up Ben Nevis.

13thfloormonk

Drive to glencoe and up buachaille etive mor

Or even Buachaille Etive Beag, one of the quickest Munros I’ve ever climbed and yet amazing views and a fairly child friendly walk (good path onto good rocky steps onto final short steep gravelly push). If you want truly stunning views head for the summit overlooking Loch Etive (too lazy to look up the name).

For similar effort but less driving, the Pap of Glen Coe could be a good one, not a munro so a shorter walk but a good varied approach (fields beside a stream, open hillside, rocky summit cone), fantastic views and lots of amusement to be had explaining to children why it’s called the ‘Pap’ and why lonely shepherds named so many hills after breasts…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Drive to glencoe and up buachaille etive mor, a peach of a walk and far better views imo. Shorter walk too

Certainly not one for younger kids, and just where is the easy path up it??

This is the way I went up and down. The way up was a climb/scramble. The way down was only just not quite as steep.

Caveat – I did do it with a freshly broken wrist and knackered knee.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Walk into glen nevis proper and go swimming in the pools.

tillydog
    Free Member

the Pap of Glen Coe could be a good one

Within my group of friends, this is famously the least safisfying walk we have ever done together in almost 30 years – false summit after false summit, and when you eventually get to the top, you just turn around and come back down again. (Obviously doing it in miserable weather, whilst tired and hung over could also be a factor).

+1 to the tourist path up the Ben being really long + dull. That’s fine if you “want to climb Ben Nevis”, but not so good if you want a good, interesting walk.

MoreCashThanDash

I met my wife on a charity walk up Ben Nevis.

Do NOT attempt this madness, it’s not worth the risk.

scandal42
    Free Member

I did it two weeks ago in blazing sunshine, it was incredible and I enjoyed the walk despite the comments above.

Do not underestimate it though, its a long and quite hard slog at times and coming down is even harder on the legs due to the rocky and bouldery terrain.

If its bloody hot like it was when I went up then finishing with a beer at the Nevis inn is fantastic.

Its nice to say you have stood on the top of the UK, but take plenty of water, not just a little bottle of volvic like the fools I passed.

zippykona

Some pictures would be nice.

Spin
    Free Member

take plenty of water, not just a little bottle of volvic like the fools I passed.

Safe enough to fill up at the Red Burn just below the zig zags.

13thfloormonk

false summit after false summit

Are we talking about the same hill?? 😀

It’s virtually straight up from the Clachaig/Glencoe road, think you can see the summit all the way, rising traverse along the hillside then zig zags straight up.

when you eventually get to the top, you just turn around and come back down again

I’ll need to check but I think there’s quite a few summits like that in Scotland 😉

tillydog
    Free Member

Are we talking about the same hill??

Yes, same hill, different day. We went straight up from Glencoe village.

…think you can see the summit all the way

You *think* it’s the summit 😉

wilburt
    Free Member

Went up it about ten years ago in January.

Thought the kids would manage it up to the first level before the scree after that is dull and needs determination kids dont normally have.

Also I personally wouldnt bother on a summer weekend but then I dont like people much.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Never been up Ben Nevis, but I recollect running out of steam about 2/3 of the way up a Corbett as a seven year old.

Must have been the heat as there was plenty of fresh water nearby.

Humidity’s bound to be a problem too.

Though if the kids only make it halfway up at least the o/h can look after them while you bag the summit. 😀

Isn’t there a good path right up to the base of the north of the Ben, with a Bothy nearby?

Or would a hike to glencoes lost/ hidden valley be ok?

whitestone
    Free Member

Isn’t there a good path right up to the base of the north of the Ben, with a Bothy nearby?

There’s a good path from The North Face car park at Torlundy http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=214536&Y=776423&A=Y&Z=120 to the CIC hut – private, locked so not a bothy as such – http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=216703&Y=772230&A=Y&Z=120.

If you are walking then the only real “family” route to the summit is via the path to the halfway lochan (Lochan Meall an’t Suidhe) where you join the tourist path discussed above.

LD
    Free Member

Until today my advice would have been very similar to most others, ie don’t bother it’s a boring rocky slog. So today took my son (10) up planning to to halfway lochan then drop in coire for a wee peer at the north face. However turns out he really wanted to go up, so we did. 3 hours up and 2 down, down is nearly as hard. No views but he still had a great day.
    Almost worth it just for a laugh (if you can) at the “tourists”. It really is ridiculous what you see up there, jeans jumper trainers no bag, plastic pacamacs etc etc. Oh and it is really rather busy!
    Only real disappointment of the day was the state of the summit refuge, full of rubbish – disgusting.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ben Nevis…’ is closed to new replies.