Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Belper local knowledge?
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Ey up.

We're looking at a property in Belper which is in this area. We know there's the Vaillant works nearby but it doesn't seem that obtrusive – is there anything else that would put any of you off living round there? We noticed there'd been something (old factory?) pulled down recently – anyone know what they're building there?

Ta.

teagirl
    Free Member

Isn't that near the High School? Handy for the shops, cinema and deli's! Lucky you, but it's densely populated so may be noisy. We lived up Mount Pleasant until 4 yrs ago, Belper's a good place and my kids miss it still. Vet at Riverside is a MTB'er and there are some up Mount Pleasant. Good luck!

joemarshall
    Free Member

It's the old deb factory where they used to make Swarfega. The site is going to be houses.

Not sure about that side of the hill, we're on the side with the mill but I would be surprised if it was nasty being so close to the town centre. Local paper moans about pissheads going home from the pubs walking down Nottingham Road on Saturday nights but local papers are always moaning about something.

tron
    Free Member

The old dye works in Ambergate? Could go either way – light industrial if the site is contaminated / council want industry, housing perhaps if not.

Bream
    Free Member

Haven't been in the UK for 3½ years but use to live/work very close to there. My comments are that that road is very busy and where you have pointed is also on a hill. Depending on how close to the road it is it could be very noisy, if it is set back enough it could be quiter maybe with a nice view over the valley.

It's a nice area, we loved living there, you just need to find a quite spot 😉

the-muffin-man

If the house is on Nottingham Road then Its one of the busier roads in the town – next to High School, Primary School, Vaillant Factory and Leisure Centre so don't expect quiet roads. Also Leisure Centre is due for re-development in a couple of years so there will be disruption from that.

The old dye works in Ambergate?
    That's mothballed for the time being – I believe the developer went bust!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

That's really useful – cheers all 🙂 Nothing to turn my hair white so I'll cross fingers that negotiations over price go well 🙂

Thanks.

the-muffin-man

Cinema is great BTW – leather sofas and big seats, nice food and fancy cakes to buy, and you can have a glass of wine or beer while you watch. Trouble is its too popular and you can hardly ever get a seat!

Good luck with the house.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers Tim. If it all comes unstuck we've got a backup house in Ashbourne which is actually *in* budget so I'm not going to lose too much sleep!

Bream
    Free Member

PS – its close to Drum Hill DH push up trails as well 8)

joemarshall
    Free Member

Cinema is great BTW – leather sofas and big seats, nice food and fancy cakes to buy, and you can have a glass of wine or beer while you watch. Trouble is its too popular and you can hardly ever get a seat!

Yeah. Worth being a member as you get the program in advance so you can actually book things.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Lived in belper for about 15 years now and it's a sound little town, ever expanding tho, as said the old deb factory is going to be houses with a couple already going up on part of the site already. Gym at the sports centre is new and nice but rest of the facilities are pretty sh¥te such as the swimming changing rooms. From there you're 5 mins walk to two local pubs one with a huge beer garden! Every small town has it's number of arseholes an in ten years of living at my current house I've had one incident where someone lifted up my wipers. **** crime hotspot! Some great riding on the doorstep at a certain woods which if I mention I'll get flamed and also loads of other local spots! Anything else just ask! Oh and my house is for sale too so if yours falls thro let me know ha ha 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Why does that roady cafe by one of the the unmentionable riding spots close at silly early times on a weekend ?

the-muffin-man

Why does that roady cafe by one of the the unmentionable riding spots close at silly early times on a weekend ?

Thats the only time its open!! (8 till 2 I think).

cuckoo
    Free Member

At one time there was talk of a massive housing development at Cinderhill not too far from there which would further increase traffic and congestion. The idea may well have been abandoned now though.

The housing at the former Stevo's Dye works at Ambergate is off for the time being I think but is a good few miles away from you at that location anyway.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ha ha so you know of said riding spots! I've been flamed several times for typing their names out loud!! Oh and cinderhill is dead at the moment due to the cancerous tar pits I believe

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Oh and my house is for sale too so if yours falls thro let me know ha ha

I'll keep that in mind 🙂 Out of interest – why are you moving? Just asking cos you've painted a pretty positive picture of belper!

I've meant to visit some shining examples of local woods for a while now (on a quiet week day, natch), hope to get the chance soon 😉

cuckoo
    Free Member

I've meant to visit some shining examples of local woods for a while now (on a quiet week day, natch), hope to get the chance soon

I was walking at the weekend near the unmentionable riding spot and noticed that some of the latest routes have cut through the wildflower colonies again and a badger set which is what kicked off a lot of the problems before.

I was dismayed to see quite a bit of litter chucked down near the trails too. I picked up what I could but it certainly doesn't help.

Don't leave your trip too long though as the woods are in great nick at this time of year.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I rode up in the gleaming woods tonight and it was great. O and I'm only moving as it's a bit of an investment chance (hopefully), not too far away, in fact it's next door so I'm staying local 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

O and I'm only moving as it's a bit of an investment chance (hopefully), not too far away, in fact it's next door so I'm staying local

Lol. At least we'd know where to turn if the roof fell in 🙂
    We've got a second viewing lined up on Friday and I reckon the haggling will begin on Monday… if it all goes pear shaped there's always the Ashbourne one. And if not… how many bedrooms wrightyson? 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Three bed semi on a non estate location, about the same distance from the town centre as the one your looking at, countryside views etc etc.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Sounds crackin wrightyson – if t'other ones fall through and yours hasn't gone I'll get back to you about it. when you say next door's an investment – are you going to be developing it? sorry if i'm being nosey!

wrightyson
    Free Member

It's just a chance to turn a tired old house into what will probably be our last move, no major development really, it's just that bit bigger and we can see ourselves getting old there ha ha. Good luck with the purchase, keep us posted!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers man, and good luck with your sale – like i said i'll see how things go with the kilbourne road one and be in touch if it and the ashbourne one falls through

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Belper local knowledge?’ is closed to new replies.