Viewing 27 posts - 241 through 267 (of 267 total)
  • Beloved relatives posting pish about homopathy on FB.
  • clubber
    Free Member

No, you need to dilute yourself. Jump in the sea.

miketually
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, but I’ve just taken a load of homeopathic medicine by mistake. Should I induce vomiting and call an ambulance?

You are at risk of dilutional hyponatremia or dihydrogen monoxide poisoning. Seal yourself in a tupperware tub with a load of dried rice.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

or sit near a load of those silica gel packets that come with electronic goods

Cougar

Surely an underdose would be far more dangerous?

wwaswas

Surely an underdose would be far more dangerous?

I suspect that there’s not enough atoms in the universe to create a situation where there’s an underdose of a homeopathic remedy.

Spin
    Free Member

diluting things loads means there’s virtually actually nothing left

FTFY

avdave2

Didn’t Hitler get started by not allowing anybody to hold views different to his own.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs not their own facts.

DezB
    Free Member

Late to this (sorry, I’m on holiday), but does homeopathy work on hypochondriacs?

wwaswas

does homeopathy work on hypochondriacs?

“Drink this, it won’t cure a disease that you don’t have.”

Maybe the double negative will work, like crossing the streams?

Houns

I dealt with someone recently who instead of giving their young child 5 drops of an homeopathy treatment, gave them 5 drops of olbas oil by accident.

Olbas oil is highly toxic if ingested

molgrips
    Free Member

Hang on. What about all the bad poisonous things that water has come into contact with? How long does this memory last? Does commercial water purification technology get rid of it? How come my tap water doesn’t taste of fish?

plyphon
    Free Member

scotroutes

Are you Cameron Diaz’s doctor too?

miketually
    Free Member

Hang on. What about all the bad poisonous things that water has come into contact with?

You have to bang it into a leather pad ten times, so the water won’t have the memory of anything else.

You have to bang it into a leather pad ten times, so the water won’t have the memory of anything else.

Apart from a memory of being banged into a leather pad?

Spin
    Free Member

If it could be demonstrated that water has memory, that would mean the basis for homeopathy not working would have to be re-thought at least, shirley

I think the key part of that statement is “If it could be demonstrated”. If it were demonstrated – in a repeatable experiment, under strict conditions, by respected scientists in respected labs then yes, you’d have yourself a paradigm shift and I would join the rest of the scientifically literate world in re-assessing my views.

It hasn’t been and the link you posted doesn’t even come close to those criteria.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes if you could show something that no one thinks is true to be true then indeed the scientific community would easily have a paradigm shift.
    By easy I mean they would debate, replicate and re evaluate over time rather than just say no its not true
    That is why science is so powerful as it is a methodology not the answer that folk adhere to.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Re: the water experiment – if you had a microscope at home that would make it something you could repeat yourself.

As far as I’m aware I think homeopathic remedies are prepared using distilled water i.e. it’s not straight out of a tap.

This report http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmsctech/memo/homeopathy/ucm1202.pdf is evidence for homeopathy working in randomised controlled trials.

Therefore it is valid to explore how homeopathy works.
    Just in my opinion I think that the holographic universe idea will become the prevalent one to better explain our universe.
    http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic_universe.html

After all, everything ‘solid’ is made of molecules which are made of atoms which are made of mostly empty space and the particles in it are also made of empty space – so there is no real ‘solidity’. The screen you’re reading this on now is a holographic projection of waveforms from a source.

Wave/particle duality is solved because the particle is simply the holographic projection of the waveform information.

And this is why the dilution thing works. Here goes:
    The water holds the information of the original plant/mineral (it being what would cause symptoms of the illness to be treated in a healthy person). So it’s not the measurable substance anymore itself that is responsible for the healing – it’s the source information that enables realigning back to health. Diluting increases the potency because you’re getting more water to hold that information by volume.

The most obvious analogy would be Arnold J. Rimmer – we are all like him. Stay with me here… Physically he is perfect, so for him to have eczema or something would come from his projection unit. Therefore homeopathy is just an effective method of correcting the information in the projection unit to project the hologram in its full glory again. Except your ‘projection unit’ and that of the universe itself are invisible to us. We can only see a slice of the electromagnetic spectrum which is at best 4% of the universe.

I think in the next ten years this is what science will explore and explain better than I can.
    Was that really outlandish? Thanks for reading if you did.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware I think homeopathic remedies are prepared using distilled water i.e. it’s not straight out of a tap.

The water holds the information of the original plant/mineral (it being what would cause symptoms of the illness to be treated in a healthy person). So it’s not the measurable substance anymore itself that is responsible for the healing – it’s the source information that enables realigning back to health. Diluting increases the potency because you’re getting more water to hold that information by volume.

so does distillation remove the memory? and what stops the water from remembering the bottle or photons of light hitting it, or your tongue?

konabunny
    Free Member

Nutshell.

wiggles
    Free Member

What happens if you get water that was sexually abused and remebers it? Does that just make your worse?

atlaz
    Free Member

This report http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmsctech/memo/homeopathy/ucm1202.pdf is evidence for homeopathy working in randomised controlled trials.

“The author of this overview is Robert T Mathie PhD, Research Development Adviser, British
    Homeopathic Association”
    – sounds impartial

Even he says there is not really enough good research on this matter and recommends the same as an earlier report in terms of homeopathy following a standardised test framework.

Lifer
    Free Member

*Sigh*

That’s exactly the same report misrepresented by the woman in the guardian article you linked to.

In the majority of trials covered by it homeopathy performed worse or no better than placebos.

The first recommendation of the report is:

New and independently conducted RCTs are essential to confirm or refute the currently available research evidence in homeopathy for specific conditions. There is a need to enhance the quantity and the quality of research on the effectiveness of individualised homeopathy, particularly in chronic conditions, as well as on efficacy of specific homeopathic medicines compared with placebo. Future trials must be statistically powered to ensure conclusions may be made about clinically relevant effects

Not exactly glowing.

Spin
    Free Member

6079Smithw you waded in with this :

Are you the knower of all things in the universe and how everything works from a quantum level to astrophysics?

After this gem

Just in my opinion I think that the holographic universe idea will become the prevalent one to better explain our universe.

I’m going to throw that right back at you.

Make up your mind now: Is science a sufficiently reliable approach to support homeopathy or is all science bollocks because it doesn’t support homeopathy?

bigrich

don’t care as long as they vaccinate.

if they don’t, then shout at them for a long time.

wwaswas

This product, for me, is the best reason I’ve ever seen for putting health warnings on homeopathic ‘remedies’.

Not just daft, but dangerous too.

“tastes of water” would be a better description.

[Edit] Charging $127/pint for water is a good business model, though.

crankboy
    Free Member

“As far as I’m aware I think homeopathic remedies are prepared using distilled water i.e. it’s not straight out of a tap.” So irrelevent as distillation separates water molecules from non water molecules or if my understanding of distillation is wrong then proof that homeopathic remedies propperly prepared contain fewer healing memories than tap water. Or are we back to magic shaking and an old saddle being the secret ingredient.

Viewing 27 posts - 241 through 267 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Beloved relatives posting pish about homopathy on FB.’ is closed to new replies.