Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Bells to Brexit….!
  • Premier Icon kimbers

trailwagger

NYE is celebrating something some people like
    Brexit is something that less than half the country thinks is a ridiculous waste of time & money, that has already poisoned & divided the country & cost us £bns

FTFY

that may have been the case in June 2016, but as the recent GE showed the majority of the electorate want a 2nd ref or to remain

its why the brexiteers were so terrified of a 2nd ref

Premier Icon slowoldman

It does nicely sum up how out-of-touch some politicians are, that they think it is well worth paying half a million quid to ring a bell that only those in the very centre of London will actually hear live anyway.

Yeah they should get all the church bells ringing across the land just like VE day. Oh and beacons, everyone loves beacons.

Premier Icon Drac

And now it’s turning into a berxit thread. Stick with the discussion on the bells or it’ll be closed.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Wouldn’t the sound of a Rolls Royce Merlin and the DAGGA-DAGGA-DAGGA of machine gun fire chasing Johnny Foreigner away be more acceptable?

I hope the tower falls down and squashes the lot of them as they party underneath it.

Premier Icon Cougar

Half a million quid because Big Ben doesn’t have a clapper?

I’m astounded that the brexiters can’t lay their hands on some bell ends way more readily than that…

Premier Icon martinhutch

Half a million quid because Big Ben doesn’t have a clapper?

They’ve taken the entire belfry floor out, so, perhaps fittingly given the circumstances, there is nothing solid to support the entire enterprise.

The rest of the money would be eaten up by costly delays to existing projects…

Premier Icon kelvin

It’s all just manufactured outrage…

Johnson is PM, with a majority in the commons, and the upper house nodding through all his Brexit nonsense because of his fresh election mandate. But still “Remainers” are holding the UK back from a patriotic bong.

Premier Icon kelvin

Premier Icon dannyh

If a load of nobheads want to spend their own money to ring a bell to celebrate their nobheadery then meh!

1st Feb will still dawn, nothing will have been achieved, nothing will have changed. Brexit was stupid, is stupid and will continue to be stupid.

Let them have their moment if they want to pay for it. Nobheads.

Premier Icon martinhutch

a patriotic bong.

Premier Icon Northwind

trailwagger

What annoys me is that no-one caused a fuss when it has been rung before. Its only now that Brexit is involved that people are jumping on a bandwagon and getting all up tight about the costs.

You’ve managed to miss the point here despite it being explained pretty clearly. It doesn’t cost half a million quid to ring big ben. It costs half a million quid (and a load of disruption) to get the currently partly disassembled big ben reassembled so that it can ring, and then immediately redisassemble it afterwards so that the refurbishment can continue. And much more so when it wasn’t planned well in advance like new year’s eve where it was part of the refurbishment plan.

If the bell was in working order this thread wouldn’t be happening, but it ain’t.

Premier Icon frankconway

It’s not for an event which unifies the country so, no, it shouldn’t happen.
    As for the cost and crowd funding to raise the funds, it’s not a given…..’The PM’s spokesman highlighted “potential difficulties” in using money raised from public donations’.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

If some clowns want to pay for it out their own pockets then bash on. I’d resent 1p of it coming out my own taxes however

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

that may have been the case in June 2016, but as the recent GE showed the majority of the electorate want a 2nd ref or to remain

Are you even living in the same country as me? If what you said was the case then surely Labour would of won the GE?

Premier Icon somafunk

I think its a great idea especially if the brexiteers fund it themselves as it will corral a decent amount of **** idiots in one place so they will be quite easy to pick off from a high vantage point.

Premier Icon Northwind

Nope. The majority of votes cast was for a remain or 2nd ref party. But First Past The Post ignores that, and means you get a majority government with 43.6% of votes.

The Lib Dems and Labour combined got almost the same votes as the Tories, never mind the SNP, Plaid, etc.

Premier Icon arrpee
    Free Member

Are you even living in the same country as me? If what you said was the case then surely Labour would of won the GE?

Most of the individual votes cast were for pro-remain, or pro-2nd ref parties, but of course, this didn’t translate to a victory for such a party, due to first-past-the-post.

Edit: ECHO! Echo! echo…

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

I’m all for a chance for boris to demonstrate nationalism through a public show.
    null

Premier Icon Kona TC

BREXIT day, isn’t important enough to make it a Bank Holiday but bells that >1% will hear is important. Really!

Premier Icon doomanic

So they want to waste a colossal amount of money to symbolise the wasting of a colossal amount of money? Makes perfect sense to me…

Premier Icon funkmasterp

It isn’t they’ve made it clear it won’t happen it was a bunch of gammons who tried the raise £500k but managed £86

Give me £500, ear defenders, climbing gear and a hammer.

Premier Icon kimbers

Your failure to understand UK elections makes me think we might not be in the same country 😜

Premier Icon somafunk

Give me £500, ear defenders, climbing gear and a hammer.

Right, that’ll deal with that little fat **** mark frenchy but what about the rest of them?

Premier Icon timidwheeler

Lol

Premier Icon TiRed

Two minute silence please. The fact that the most iconic time signature in the country is non-functional just serves to further impress the folly of the decision.

Premier Icon dannyh

If what you said was the case then surely Labour would of won the GE?

Would have won.

Premier Icon dannyh

I hope the tower falls down and squashes the lot of them as they party underneath it.

Nah, far too dramatic and martyr-ish.

I’d much rather it just pissed down, a hundred or so pillocks turn up and then jack it in after 45 mins, wandering off in little dribs and drabs looking like what they are – a joyless, bitter rabble looking for someone else to blame for their own underachievement.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d much rather it just pissed down, a hundred or so pillocks turn up and then jack it in after 45 mins, wandering off in little dribs and drabs looking like what they are – a joyless, bitter rabble looking for someone else to blame for their own underachievement.

So another march for brexit then?

Premier Icon dannyh

So another march for brexit then?

Yep, a similarly underwhelming fail from failures. Fitting.

Premier Icon AD

Arron has chucked in £50k… https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51149531

What an altruistic soul. Maybe he could donate an equivalent amount to Shelter.

National healing my arse.

When is the publication date for that Russia report again?

Premier Icon andytherocketeer

Should be legally obliged to match any such donation with a contribution to a fund to be distributed to every one who voted remain and/or is UK citizen resident in EU to cover all incidental expenses (eg for resident/work permits, any licences or other documentation etc. needed by haulage firms) that will be incurred as a result of brexshit too.

Premier Icon kimbers

If anyone can sort out a bong for Brexit

It’s gotta be this guy

Premier Icon fooman
    Free Member

The EU have a Cultural Heritage Fund for this kind of thing we should apply there for the money.

Premier Icon colournoise

Any chance of some ethical hacker grabbing the crowdfund cash and redistributing to a homeless charity or similar?

Premier Icon oldagedpredator

It would be better marked a by a few minutes of quiet contemplation of what has gone before and where we go next. Bit of reflection on how to handle this and maybe heal a few rifts. Jingoism isn’t the way but he’s playing to the massed Bori, I’d rather he wasn’t turning Big Ben into a divisive devision bell.

I’m surprised he hasn’t called for the clocks to be brought forward by and hour so be can prattle on about it being the start of a new day for Britain.

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

Don’t worry chaps, Boris has conceded it’s not going to happen.

INSTEAD they’re going to use taxpayer’s money for a fricking lightshow!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/17/boris-johnson-saves-face-over-failed-bid-for-big-ben-brexit-chime

Oh, and the commerative coin that got minted previously, then melted down, will be minted again.

**** me, get me out of this dumb-**** shit-show of a country…

Premier Icon dudeofdoom

Oh, and the commerative coin that got minted previously, then melted down, will be minted again.

Could have cast them into the Brexit Bell.

Premier Icon oldagedpredator

The farce is strong with the Bori.

Premier Icon dannyh

It’s all just bluff, bluster and manufactured outrage.

Bottom line is, was and always will be that Brexit is a stupid and damaging thing to do.

These quarterwits haven’t got a blind clue about what to do for the best of the majority of people in this country and they never did. Whether they actually care or not doesn’t really matter because on 1st Feb we start a race to the bottom.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.