Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Bells to Brexit….!
  • alpin
    Free Member

Why TF is this being turned into an actual issue given all the real issues the UK is facing?

Listening to some politician earlier on R4 you would have thought that without these bells ringing then Brexit means nothing.

Bullshit of the highest order….

And screwed up thing is, this will become a burning issue for a certain group of little englanders.

Looking in from the outside, it really looks like the UK has lost the plot.

maccruiskeen

Dead cat on table

rone

Nothing Brexit based suprises surely?

martinhutch

Jingoistic Bells, Jingoistic Bells.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of this?

PrinceJohn

This to me is the equivalent of the orangemen marches in Northern Ireland, where the winners of something go & taunt the losers, way to bring the country together you thick ****

GrahamS

It does nicely sum up how out-of-touch some politicians are, that they think it is well worth paying half a million quid to ring a bell that only those in the very centre of London will actually hear live anyway.

Dead cat on table

Quite possibly, yes.

andytherocketeer

Maybe the bells are “ding ding ding round 1” for the massive punch up as remainer protesters bump in to kippers?

greenskin
    Free Member

Cardigan wearing ****.

arrpee
    Free Member

Anyone else got a nagging feeling they’ve forgotten something very important? I’ve got this dim recollection about some sort of…report? The words “Russian interference” keep popping into my head for some reason.

Probably nothing.

Anyway, about these bells…

kimbers

martinhutch

Jingoistic Bells, Jingoistic Bells.

Brilliant!

Drac

It isn’t they’ve made it clear it won’t happen it was a bunch of gammons who tried the raise £500k but managed £86

Klunk
    Free Member

#remainerplot

piha
    Free Member

And to make things even worse, faarange and his hateful cabal have secured public space to celebrate Brexit in Westminster.

maccruiskeen

The words “Russian interference” keep popping into my head for some reason.

I think it would be funnier if the Russians leak the report before boris can publish it

greenskin
    Free Member

@maccruiskeen

Now that would be expert level, international politics trolling!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Great. Another Brexit thread for all the moaning windbags to complain about how a democratic vote was so unfair (twice)!

greenskin
    Free Member

Great. Another Brexit thread for all the moaning windbags to complain about the moaning windbags to complain how a democratic vote was so unfair (twice)!

PrinceJohn

Great. Another Brexit thread for everyone who’s concerned about the direction this country is taking to have their say

FIFY

Loughan
    Free Member

Ahhh, thank you

Great. Another Brexit thread for all the moaning windbags to complain about how a democratic vote was so unfair (twice)!

Caher

First bells then a purge. It won’t end.

daveylad
    Free Member

gives you lot something to have a big old blub about & create another brexit thread though doesnt it.

MoreCashThanDash

Distracted the voters as they’ve quietly distanced themselves from various election pledges, the Russia report, various experts saying a deal can’t be done by December….

GrahamS

Actually @trailwagger I think this is (or was) specifically complaining about Boris’s “Bung a Bob for a Big Ben Bong” nonsense.

You can support Brexit and still think that raising £500k to hear a bell ring is a rather ridiculous thing to do.

geomickb
    Free Member

I think it is a great idea. I really hope that 500k is raised, then passed to a deserving charity.

kimbers

@trailwagger

not unfair, just a hilariously daft thing to do!

bell-end francois & all the nonsense around this are perfect examples of brexit

PrinceJohn

Just read the Go fund me thing & it finished with…

Yours faithfully,

Rebecca Ryan, founder of #StandUp4Brexit and Mark Francois MP

So it appears that Mark Francois MP is a character played by someone called Rebecca Ryan?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Actually @trailwagger I think this is (or was) specifically complaining about Boris’s “Bung a Bob for a Big Ben Bong” nonsense.
    You can support Brexit and still think that raising £500k to hear a bell ring is a rather ridiculous thing to do.

No-one brought up the cost when it was rung on NYE, or armistice day or any of the other times. But suddenly now its an issue for the point scoring losers.

kelvin

Compromise:

Use a recording rather than interrupt the ongoing repairs. Give everyone the day off to celebrate with a bank holiday instead. Landlords will be thankful for a January boost.

jimdubleyou

No-one brought up the cost when it was rung on NYE, or armistice day or any of the other times.

Perhaps, because at those times the project team had actually planned for the clapper to be present in the machine and wouldn’t introduce a delay to the already expensive restoration?

I’d rather they spent the money on an MRI scanner or something equally useful.

kimbers

NYE is celebrating something everyone likes

Brexit is something that at least half the country thinks is a ridiculous waste of time & money, that has already poisoned & divided the country & cost us £bns

us point scoring losers would rather not see the country damaged even more.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Perhaps, because at those times the project team had actually planned for the clapper to be present in the machine and wouldn’t introduce a delay to the already expensive restoration?
    I’d rather they spent the money on an MRI scanner or something equally useful.

Actually I agree with you, its a huge waste of money. What annoys me is that no-one caused a fuss when it has been rung before. Its only now that Brexit is involved that people are jumping on a bandwagon and getting all up tight about the costs.

jimdubleyou

Its only now that Brexit is involved that people are jumping on a bandwagon and getting all up tight about the costs.

It’s only now that an “extra” ring being added to a project plan costs money.

If they’d said (at the beginning of the restoration project) “we want to ring the bells on 31st January 2020” then it would have been built in to the project and they wouldn’t have taken all the gubbins away after NYE…

martinhutch

NYE is celebrating something everyone likes

Controversial! 🙂

kimbers

I think the problem is that Brexit has been such an expensive & divisive venture so far,

with the brexiteers orchestrating a relentless campaign of lies & BS, that us ‘point scoring losers’ will be pointing out the stupidities & saying ‘I told you so’ at each & every shambolic step for the next 10 years

GrahamS

No-one brought up the cost when it was rung on NYE

It was BORIS that specifically brought up the cost by coining his ridiculous “Bung a Bob” catchphrase: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51107646

Mister-P
    Free Member

Can we not just bung Boris at the bell?

trailwagger
    Free Member

NYE is celebrating something some people like
    Brexit is something that less than half the country thinks is a ridiculous waste of time & money, that has already poisoned & divided the country & cost us £bns

FTFY

kelvin

No one likes my compromise of us all taking the day off and going down the pub?

Anyway… it’s almost as if some people just want something to argue about…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Bells to Brexit….!’ is closed to new replies.