Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bell Super 3r
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

anyone got one? I ride a lot alone so thinking of getting one and keeping the chin guard in my bag for when I’m on downhills. I can see them at a decent price these days, or are there better alternatives?

cheers.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I looked at these recently as I have to have a full face.  They look pretty good if they fit your head, main alternative is the Giro Switchblade which is reported to be hotter (not good for sweaty me) and also looks a bit motorcycle trials without the chin guard as the ears remain covered.  Bell also do the DH version now but that is a step up in weight and down in ventilation so a matter of what you prioritise.  Ultimately I went for a Fox Proframe which you can’t remove the chin guard from but is very ventilated.  Haven’t tried it out yet but will tomorrow. (As in worn it riding, hope I don’t test it’s protective properties ever)

curvature
    Free Member

I have a Super 2R as does my son and we both like them.

I have never used the chin guard but do rate the helmet and the way they fit together so would think the newer one is just good if not better.

mikeyp

I’ve got a 3R. Its a good bit of kit. Not too hot and not too heavy feels solid. I’ve only once managed to put the chin guard on without taking the helmet off.

stevextc
    Free Member

I really like mine and use with and without the chin guard… Jnr has the same but in small.

Ventilation is very good… even with the chin guard but protection is nowhere near a real FF…

There is of course the Giro and the DH certified version …. but to me its missing the point.  If Im riding uplift or pushing up I’ll wear a FF…. the 3R does everything else.   Only issue I have is the ear straps are fickle… (the bit that makes the triangle tends to come undone very easily)

The new Fox looks interesting though but then you don’t have the ability to remove the chin bar.

nicknameless
    Free Member

Good helmet.  Comfortable.  Not the most well ventilated though.  I do use the chin bar occasionally.

Will not suit some head shapes.  Got a small for my mrs and she doesn’t like the fit and wears another helmet all the time.  Don’t suppose you have a small head and like emerald green lol?!!!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

No my heads like a basketball! Sounds good and they’re heavily discounted all over the place.

markoc1984

After smashing my face up on a meaningless corner I got the 3r, use the chin guard on almost every trail, then take it off and hang on the handle bars when I’m peddling up hill. I got used to putting on the chin guard without taking the helmet off, and can do it in seconds now, I usually take it off without stopping peddling.

Potdog
    Free Member

Neither the 2R or 3R fitted my head very well. The Super DH was nice but could only find it in matt black at a decent price. Also tried the Giro Switchblade which I liked and is super comfy. Ended up buying the Switchblade when CRC had it on offer with 100 quid off the other week. Too good a deal to miss, I’ll live with looking like a “Kickstart” reject for that money 🙂

julians
    Free Member

Who has the best deal on super 3r at the moment?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Best I’ve seen is at winstanleys mate about £130

Gunz
    Free Member

Love mine.  I have a large oddly shaped head that normally only gets on with Giros but the 3R is really comfortable.  Construction is top notch and like markoc, I find it really easy to put the guard on with the helmet in place.  Judging by the amount of them I saw at BPW last week, a lot of people get on with them.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rule out the Super DH. I’ve tried the 3R and now use the DH and do not find it any hotter/warmer but do think it’s a better helmet for not much weight difference.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I got a 3R for a trip to Antur, it fits better than the 2R I tried and I also wanted to use it for trails where I can ride up and put the chin bar on for the decents. So I chose it over the switchblade because it was better ventelated. The Mrs got the switchblade because it fit better than the 3R, it is also really nice.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve pulled the trigger, I shall report back. Lovely grey and yellow one too.

nosedive
    Free Member

I got one for an alps trip last year, I use it pretty much all the time now. Never taken the chin guard off

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bell Super 3r’ is closed to new replies.