Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bell Super 3r
  • hoberinos
    Free Member

Anyone using one of these?

Had a slip on the ice on my weekend ride and hit my chin on a tree root (biting my tongue in the process), luckily not hard enough to bite through it!

Got me thinking about face protection, particularly on trips to BPW and other uplift locations.

Has anyone gone down the removable chin guard route, or is a separate full face and trail lid a more sensisbe option? The super 3r is pretty expensive – could probably buy a cheap full face and a new trail lid for the same or less. Is it the best of both worlds or a comprise all round?

Or should I just stop sticking my tongue out when riding?!

stevied
    Free Member

Would all depend on the fit. If the Bell fits you and ‘feels’ good then go for it.
    I’ve got a normal trail helmet and a full face for uplifts etc. As you say, you could get 2 specific helmets for the price of 1.

Not sticking your tongue out would help though 😉

JPcapel
    Free Member

Just got the 3R for Christmas, with a view to using it in June at Tweed love enduro, where riding up hill minus the chin guard seems appealing and the event doesn’t demand a DH rated lid.

Wore it the other day at chicksands, and was impressed how light it feels.
    I suspect its level of protection isn’t comparable to a true DH lid, but the chin guard must be able to take some abuse.

Some crashes with face plant are just unlucky, I still choose to wear an open lid for 99% of all riding I do. Suspect when I loose some teeth or similar I’ll have a rethink…

Does seem a quality item worth the money in terms of its build.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I have a 2R (and before that a 1). The 2r is a lot more comfy for me than the 1 was. I’m not sure why. There is differences in the fittings, but it feels a lot nicer. If you can, try the 3 before buying it.

I don’t use the chin bar too much, but it’s nice to have it as an option. Also, it doesn’t get in the way of my breathing. It’s no harder to pedal up hill in, just feels a bit weird.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2r, I bought it after a slowish speed crash and hit my face, I always thought I’d be quick enough to put my hands out!!!
    Anyway bought one and I’ve used it every ride, never used it without the chin guard because I know the day I remove it will be the day I face plant again!!!
    I’ve used it in Spain at 30 degree and all winter here, it’s light and comfy. Not as comfy as a normal lid but cheaper than new teeth.

dvowles82
    Free Member

I have only ever had a couple of “proper” crashes. Even those were at fairly slow speed on relatively tame trails, where front wheel slipped out. Both times my face hit the ground (the latter wearing the 2R chin guard).

The first was on a small berm and my face hit the top of the bank. Almost lost teeth and needed gash above top lip glued together at hospital.

So for any descent, I wear mine. And I only ride trail centres really! And it’s not even that hot or restrictive on climbs, so sometimes I just leave it on.

doubleu
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2r – I find it really comfortable. Whilst its not any harder to breath in, I do remove the chin guard for any long (+30min) climbs. It doesnt take long and easily attaches to my backpack.

FYI – I’ve got seperate lids as well, Fox Flux, and a 661 full face. All depends what im doing and where I’m going!

poah
    Free Member

my boy has a 2R and its nice for his can capablities but the chin guard is pretty flexy and wouldn’t trust it in a big crash on a bigger person.

mcnultycop

If I’m going to an uplift I’ll wear a “proper” full face.

I stick to a trail helmet for most normal riding.

I did but a Met Parachute in the sales though for more remote solo riding (and for Cragg Quarry solo riding, where I always tend to fall off), but I haven’t done any yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bell Super 3r’ is closed to new replies.