Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Belgium Cyclocross WTF !!!
  • taxi25
    Free Member

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross/article/cyx20120129-cycle-cross-2012-UCI-Cyclo-Cross-World-Championships-Day-Two—Elite-Men-0

Whats it with Belgiums and Cyclocross !! Does any small country dominate a sport like they do, with riding bikes around muddy fields.

oldgit
    Free Member

Success breeds success I guess?

Donkeys years ago it was the Swiss.

MrSmith
    Free Member

they don’t win it every year. 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Two of the best cross riders in the World aren’t Belgian (lars Boom and Zdenek Stybar) but both are focussing on the road now. Part of the reason os the abuse they get from the Belgian crowds and another is that they get less start money at the big races than the equivalent Belgians.
    I think it’s a shame that the Belgian crowds and organisers are so partisan though I’m sure it won’t be long until the US dollar starts to talk.

JoB
    Free Member

the Dutch wren’t so shabby in the ”support races” 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

which goes to show that the talent is there from other countries (France last year for example) but the Belgian organisers aren’t interested in bringing them over for the big senior races when they move up.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

They dominated because of the sand. Similar to motocross, if it’s a sandy track you can always guarantee the Belgians would be at the top end of the field.

organic355
    Free Member

LOLZ

other

36. Ian Field (GBR) @ 3 laps
    Paul Oldham (GBR) dnf

brassneck

They do love it though – my flemmish workmate is a general sports fan rather than a cyclist, and his knowledge of ‘cross is astonishing, it’s like the pub football bore but with extra frites, Duvel and mayo.

davidjey
    Free Member

70,000 spectators according to CyclingNews.

Would love to go out there and see some races – must be a good atmosphere (especially fueled by beer and frites).

rusty90
    Free Member

If you want to soak up the atmosphere at a race in Belgium, try the Ghent Six (6 day indoor track race), an amazing experience. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJ4hLNAeDA

hammerite
    Free Member

organic355 – Member
    LOLZ

other
    36. Ian Field (GBR) @ 3 laps
    Paul Oldham (GBR) dnf

Apparently there was some sickness bug that swept through the GB team hotel (Alex Welburn one of our Jnrs suspects food poisoning). All the Jnr team pulled out before they raced, as did Steve James from the U23s. Paul Oldham started the race but was vomiting while on the bike so pulled out.

Our ladies managed ok because they’re based out in Belgium, so I guess they weren’t staying at the team hotel.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Our ladies managed ok because they’re based out in Belgium, so I guess they weren’t staying at the team hotel.

only OK?! Nikki Harris had a fantastic ride for 6th, getting involved with the group racing or 2nd for a lot of the race.

hammerite
    Free Member

Managed OK, as in they weren’t ill LB (with the exception of Gabby Day, but hers wasn’t related to the sickness bug), not their performances.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

gotcha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Belgium Cyclocross WTF !!!’ is closed to new replies.