Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Beinn a’ Bhuird – To sensitive to ride?
  • fergal
    Free Member

Am i being irresponsible and selfish by riding here, fragile ecosystems etc.

What would you do.

tjagain

We had a big debate about this a while ago and the consensus was its fine  ( I changed my mind during this debate)- especially as in this case there is a track up it.

Personally I doubt I would but given the track, the few numbers of bikers and large numbers of walkers then I cannot really see any moral difference to walking up it.

duckman

You aren’t getting all the way up on a bike, and the path resembles a road in parts so why not?

fergal
    Free Member

Thinking of a traverse including Ben Avon, i got the impression the terrain above the sneck on Avon is very fragile, will  probably just leave the bike here and walk to the top, then go  over N top of Beinn a Bhuird.

PS. i just read a snippet of that debate, looking for info, certainly got me thinking.

legend
    Free Member

The terrain might fragile, but you’re staying on a well established track so what’s the issue?

fergal
    Free Member

Just thinking it would be bad form descending, i’m a pretty smooth rider, but skidding will cause damage.

I have no qualms about riding on an established path, that debate just got me thinking about my own use,  wrong in the eyes of  some Walkers? or conservationists.

PS. my moral dilemma is i am not planning on descending the established track.

bajsyckel

I’m not sure what the ethical case against this specific route/mountain would be. Clearly there is the well publicised removal of one access track from the other side, but I don’t see cycling on the replacement as particularly contentious. Heading in from Tomintoul or Corgarff Castle, I’ve always thought of Ben Avon as the more “sensitive” hill. As you apparently have your wits about you and are happy to walk rather than skid down easily/already eroded steep bits (down to the sneck, for example), I would say take care and crack on.

PS – did you report back on your Macdui trip from the other week?

PPS – just seen your edited post – I’m not clear if you mean the problem being “riding” to and back from the North top from Avon, rather than the usual south approach, or descending a mysterious alternative to these?

fergal
    Free Member

Had a great day on Carn a mhaim, Big Mac if a tad on the warm side 31 degrees in Braemar!, the Etchachan descent is fantastic, not my first time but first into Glen Derry. I have no problems with this as they are on very established paths.

PS. Up to the sneck via Sluggain, top of Avon then south on Beinn a Bhuird sure you can guess where i’m heading?

redmex
    Free Member

I must have been a fit bast back about 1988 as im sure i rode all the way up to the south top my wee granny ring screaming, it was a while ago so maybe had a wee dab on the floor

Coming down with no suspension, canti brakes and grand control tyres my arms were shot, must go back sometime although id be puffed out after the first ten minutes now

fergal
    Free Member

It was just reading that thread, got me thinking about riding in fragile locations and whether it really is quite iresponsible to cotemplate riding there, as many bikes would cause a problem if it became more popular, i have seen paths get more and more eroded due to the popularity of Munro bagging over the years.

PS. i will not be using that track redex, thats the one that was Bulldozed, now reinstated as a path..

chickenman

Beinn a Bhuird no longer has a track up it from Glen Quoich but a beautifully built path (would make a great but easy descent). Can’t see any issue with riding the path along the top either. Best to descend the steep strip of grass 150m S of the path to the Sneck. Ben Avon, descending back to the Sneck would rip the path up a bit. There are no paths beyond the munro summit but easy riding on grassy terrain where a bike would be no worse than boots IMO. The descent NE down to Linn of Avon/Inchrory is a peach and not too hard; return via Glen Gairn very ridable but hard work when knackered.  When you regain the Quoich Water there is great singletrack (not on map) high above the N bank.

Did you do Derry Cairngorm Fergal?

fergal
    Free Member

In the end i opted for Etchachan as it was a given, being such a hot day flogging through another boulderfield didn’t appeal, although i’m sure ive picked up  somewhere that the descent is really good, i will be back.

Thanks for the info was planning on descending to Carn Fiaclach little bit of exploration, or selfish c**t you choose.

chickenman

That’s the descent I meant Fergal. I take the approach that it’s wrong for folk to ride on the high tops of the ‘Gorms but it’s fine if I do it!…a most enlightened approach I feel, works wonders for Arthur’s Seat too…

Sanny
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t worry. Ridden it several times. Chicken man is bob on about the route over Ben Avon.

The path up from quoich is the easiest way up with the least hike a bike. Oh and the trail through the tree from Slugain to quiche will be perfect in this weather!

sweepy
    Free Member

On the odd occasion I get off my arse and get up to the tops on a bike I don’t see why I should be regarded as any different to a walker, I’m careful to minimise any damage, avoid boggy ground, stick to paths where they exist and whatnot. I’m not aware that I cause any more damage than someone on foot. To be honest a fair bit of the time I’m on foot anyway.

fergal
    Free Member

Hi Sanny have you ridden down from the southern end of Beinn a Bhuird?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Beinn a’ Bhuird – To sensitive to ride?’ is closed to new replies.