Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)
  • Being served in a shop while on your phone… wrong, right?
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’m sure having sex while on the phone is entirely acceptable. This is really, really important business stuff that just can’t be ignored. Your wife will be understanding about it. No doubt she’s also going to be on a business call, not a problem is it?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

If you’re on a business call, WTF are you doing shopping?

Some people need to take business calls outwith standard business times? Just a thought.

For example – say you’ve been waiting for a very important call, either personal or business, phone rings when you’re in the checkout queue, shopping on the conveyor, you need to take that call. I’d answer it. Titter & shit is different though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Taking, or continuing the call when interacting with someone in person is plain rude. Shows a lack of regard for the person in front of you.

It also bugs me the other way around when you’re in a shop and the assistant answers the phone rather than talk to the person directly in front of them. This seems to be a regular occurrence at trade counters in particular.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some people need to take business calls outwith standard business times? Just a thought.

I regularly take such calls. I find somewhere quiet to take them, somewhere outwith a supermarket, perhaps.

atlaz
    Free Member

I do frequently, but I try not to do it when my personal appreciation of manners would put me over a line. So:

1, Not at the checkout or at a counter waiting for a coffee/food
    2, Not sitting at a restaurant table, I either reject the call or move away from where people are eating
    3, Not on the train in a quiet zone, again either I don’t take it or I move

aaaaaand so on.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’m with the checkout assistant on this one and the property manager sounds like an arse.

Mind you, its not half as annoying at the people wondering down the high street texting and not looking where they are going.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I regularly take such calls.

Its great that you can plan exactly when such calls are going to come in.

binners

I’ve heard that in the future we’ll have such services available as being able to leave recorded messages so that people can call back. Your phone type device will even store their number

Obviously, that kind of cutting edge technology will only be available to early adopters – maybe absolutely indespensible businessmen who are really, really, really, really important – and who’ll therefore be prepared to pay handsomely for the privilege

hora
    Free Member

It also bugs me the other way around when you’re in a shop and the assistant answers the phone rather than talk to the person directly in front of them.

..and then has a long conversation on stock/checks computer for a suggestion whilst you are stood there like an idiot.

A ‘I’m with a customer right now can I take your number and call you straight back’? would be great.

In some stores they just let the phone ring and ring and ring… thats worse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well yes, because if I’m expecting such a call, I wouldn’t be doing my shopping. I’d find a nice cafe to sit in and wait. Or, if an urgent call came unexpectedly, if possible I would make my excuses, leave and take the call. Or, how urgent can it really be? Can it not wait the few minutes it takes to finish what I’m doing, listen to the voicemail and then call back saying, “Sorry I missed your call, I was tied up. Thanks for your message, now…”

bearnecessities

I’m sure having sex while on the phone is entirely acceptable

It’s a precondition for many.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I take business calls, at all times of the day 7 days a week. Nobody I’ve worked with has ever taken offence at me saying that I’m in the middle of something and would they mind if I call them back in a couple of minutes when i can be a bit more focussed.

MSP

I took a call from my mother at the checkout once, she had been to hospital and I had been waiting for the call, it took all of 3 seconds to acknowledge the girl on the checkout and say “sorry it’s my mum and it’s important.

DrP

It makes me cringe when people go through the checkout chatting away – I almost end up apologising to the checkout person, in order to reinforce to them the ‘whole of society’ aren’t self indulgent, blatantly rude twunts!

I hate it!

And don’t get me started when patients come in gabbing on the phone….

DrP

hora
    Free Member

I’m sure having sex while on the phone is entirely acceptable

Ever watch one night in Paris? 😆

ransos
    Free Member

Are you aware you just used the word ‘gotten’? You are not from Louisiana. Stop it!

“Gotten” is an old English word.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Well yes, because if I’m expecting such a call, I wouldn’t be doing my shopping. I’d find a nice cafe to sit in and wait. Or, if an urgent call came unexpectedly, if possible I would make my excuses, leave and take the call.

Ah ‘if possible’.

Nobody I’ve worked with has ever taken offence at me saying that I’m in the middle of something and would they mind if I call them back in a couple of minutes when i can be a bit more focussed.

So how do you do that without answering your phone?

If anyone is saying that they would never, ever, under any circumstances take a call while they’re at a checkout then I don’t believe you.

binners

Its a bloody stupid word!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

2, Not sitting at a restaurant table, I either reject the call or move away from where people are eating

Has anyone ever tried to take a call in a restaurant in France. Saw a fella do it in Paris once and thought he might not make it out alive, seemed to be very, very frowned upon.

DezB
    Free Member

And don’t get me started when patients come in gabbing on the phone….

It should be “Wow! People do that??”… but we know it’s true… sadly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah ‘if possible’.

Yes, because if it wasn’t possible, I’d simply not take the call. Voicemail. Amazing, isn’t it?

atlaz
    Free Member

Has anyone ever tried to take a call in a restaurant in France. Saw a fella do it in Paris once and thought he might not make it out alive, seemed to be very, very frowned upon.

Same thing where I live. Marks you out as a lout who should be given the birch usually.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Voicemail. Amazing, isn’t it?

And not always appropriate.

And how do the haterz know that the woman in question didn’t say to the checkout operator, ‘sorry but I need to take this call’

binners

If anyone is saying that they would never, ever, under any circumstances take a call while they’re at a checkout then I don’t believe you.

I think you’re massively underestimating what percentage of the countries population aren’t really self-absorbed, inconsiderate, bad-mannered ****s!

😆

Duggan

Don’t see a problem with this tbh and I’m speaking as somebody who still owns a Nokia from circa 2000 and hardly ever uses it.

It’s a Sainsbury’s, not somebody’s funeral. I’ve worked at Supermarket checkouts before and people being on the phone whilst I served them didn’t bother me.

If you’re holding the queue up then of course it’s rude but otherwise what difference does it make if I’m on the phone? It’s not like I was going to invite the cashier out for a pint otherwise.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So how do you do that without answering your phone?

I’ve a choice if it’s really inconvenient I can either let it go to voicemail or I can take the call make my excuses personally then carry on with what i was doing. i.e If I was actually being served I’d let it go to voicemail, if I was in the queue I’d take the call, make my apologies and call them back once I’d been served.

Cougar

It also bugs me the other way around when you’re in a shop and the assistant answers the phone rather than talk to the person directly in front of them. This seems to be a regular occurrence at trade counters in particular.

I’m glad you said this because it’s prevalent round here, particularly with female staff in petrol stations; gabbing away on their Blackberry to a mate about what they’re doing tonight and suchlike, while they give you half a glance and try and serve you one-handed. Properly brings my urine to 100’C, I can tell you.

Mind you, its not half as annoying at the people wondering down the high street texting and not looking where they are going.

I commented to someone only yesterday that the old “walking and chewing gum” adage is “using a phone and looking where you’re going” these days.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Not really binners, I’m sure we could all think of a situation where we would take the call no matter where we were.

hora
    Free Member

Not really binners, I’m sure we could all think of a situation where we would take the call no matter where we were.

Your Audi is ready for collection?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I suppose it depends upon how important you are. Its very easy to forget about the important people y`know !

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bloody hell there are some sensitive folk on here.

Whats wrong with talking on the phone whilst shopping?

The check-out queue hardly necessitates a formal introduction for crying out loud.

A please & thank-you absolutely but doffing the cap & a “How do you Ma’am” are hardly a requirement for buying a pint of milk!

binners

Our records show you could have been mis-sold PPI, and are available for compensation?

Houns

The few of you saying that this is acceptable behaviour, I bet you take calls in quiet zones on public transport too?

If I ever come face to face with someone on their mobile whilst I want their service I talk to them very loudly and try and engage them in conversation

hora
    Free Member

The few of you saying that this is acceptable behaviour, I bet you take calls in quiet zones on public transport too?

I hate being overheard on a phone call. Just feels weird so I keep it short and sweet mainly.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

How much?

If I ever come face to face with someone on their mobile whilst I want their service I talk to them very loudly and try and engage them in conversation

How very rude.

somouk
    Free Member

I agree with the folk saying it’s bad manners, I’d normally wait until I’ve finished teh call to go through check out or hang up and call the person back.

The poor check out folk have to deal with 100s of folk a day so a few common courtesies probably goes a long way to making their day more bearable.

DrP

A please & thank-you absolutely but doffing the cap & a “How do you Ma’am” are hardly a requirement for buying a pint of milk!

“Manners maketh man…”

You’d be surprised how you can make someone’s day by being ‘a bit more than polite’ to them.

This is a machine:

This is a human:

DrP

patriotpro
    Free Member

The fact that using your phone whilst being served is rude is not in debate is it?

Saying that it seems to that the employee had made the rule/enforced it on the spot.

Verdict = Both in the wrong, but the employee wronger because one is paid to be there and the other pays to be there.

These massive profit organisations haven’t got where they are by turning custom away…

DrJ

Has anyone ever tried to take a call in a restaurant in France

No, but in France I’ve often been behind some arse who is bagging his groceries while on the phone and doing it slowly so it holds up the queue. And behind some other idiot who just goes through the Metro turnstile and stops deads to continue his conversation.

And in Greece I’ve heard people answer their mobile in the cinema.

Bloody foreigners!!

DrJ

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htnmr81EygE[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Being served in a shop while on your phone… wrong, right?’ is closed to new replies.