Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Being Rod Hull. Ridge tile help.
  • singletrackmind

On a recent excursion onto my roof i noticed the hip and ridge tiles are not connected to anything.
    I was up there installing a new chimney pot and flaunching it in and noticed the gaps and chunks of concrete in the gutter that should be on the tiles.

Looks like it had been that way for years and i am amazed they survived storm Arwen given the 70 – 80mph winds we had down here.

Given the price of the new ones is so low, less than a fiver, my thought is to take another brave pill, wait for a calm dry day and then pudding new ones into place. Rather than faff around trying to chip the old muck off the existing ones.

I do have one of those over hook roofing ladders and access to fall arrest kit, and a chimney breast to secure on to.

Any thoughts and or recommendations would be much appreciated.

retrorick

I did my ridge tiles a few years ago. I did a nice neat job then it rained before the mortar had dried 😭. Had to go and neaten it all up in the next dry day.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Not a roofer but a dry ridge/hip system would be the way to go imo.

frankconway

Use a strong mix; 3 – 1

timba
    Free Member

Check the hip irons before you go too far, replace if necessary

the-muffin-man

Our last roofer used this stuff to fix ours – seemed to be a lot less faff than cement…

https://www.ashbrookroofing.co.uk/flexim-roof-putty-black.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqJPirM7G-AIVZ49oCR1ftg04EAQYASABEgLbO_D_BwE

frankconway

Good shout about hip irons.

redmex
    Free Member

I’m surprised that when you know about flaunching and confident working up on a chimney replacing a chimney pot then asking about ridge tiles. If they are undamaged and easily lifted why buy new ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.