Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Being relatively new to this site – something noticed
  • lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

People telling others to just google it or use the search function.

The idea of a forum is to ask ideas etc. Where do people think things that are on google come from – usually forums or discussions. Without questions forums run dry, there is bound to be a cyclical nature.

If you like googling then google for the person asking rather than being a snidey, mardy bum.

If you know an answer(worst person to my knowledge is cynic al) tell the OP not refer to search, how easy is it to write the answer??

officialtob
    Free Member

+1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I know what you mean but the problem is that a lot of us have seen the same question or subject twice a week for 6 years…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

how easy is it to write the answer??

Not as easy as the OP doing a quick search before re-posting a very familiar topic. A lot of noobs don’t know the search tool is there or are unfamiliar with its use.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and on that note …what tires for.

i want tires to be really grippy in deep mud and fast rolling on dry days.

MussEd
    Free Member

I find the search function only ever throws up results for classifieds ads or nothing at all…

smell_it
    Free Member

Some folk are bellends, and the internet just makes them worse.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Specfic , dare i say niche, questions are fine but many are answered by google which is quite simple to do and quicker than starting a topic on here
    + what PP said

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No it doesn’t

Search for jedi

rewski
    Free Member

a lot of us have seen the same question or subject twice a week for 6 years…

that might be the case, but as the OP said it’s a forum not a database. I too have noticed narky comments, no need really.

And it’s tyres 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    and on that note …what tires for.

i want tires to be really grippy in deep mud and fast rolling on dry days.

google it fgs

officialtob
    Free Member

I know what you mean but the problem is that a lot of us have seen the same question or subject twice a week for 6 years…

Good point…

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Maybe you spend too much time on here then. I certainly think tha’s true of some individuals, who seem to spend nigt and day on her and pop up on practically every discussion to offer their opinion, regardless of whether or not thay actually have any knowledge of the topic or issues being discussed.

MussEd
    Free Member

You don’t need search function to find threads about Jedi – if you stare at your screen for two minutes someone will strt one saying how awesome his coaching days are, or someone will ask just how awesome is Jedi’s coaching. Like Clockwork!

brakes
    Free Member

a lot of us have seen the same question or subject twice a week for 6 years

perhaps you should spend less time on here then?

jonny-m
    Free Member

Well, you don’t have to answer them…..

beb

Some folk are just bellends, and the internet just makes them worse.

Haha made me laugh 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

This has been discussed many times before.

If you used the search function, you would have known that 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

mikeconnor speaks much wisdom

wwaswas

I suspect this may be prompted by responses to this thread;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/converting-a-dry-bag-to-a-pannier-any-ideas

where the OP ignored all the advice and appeared to just start shouting for an answer to the question.

I agree, that generally it’s fine to come on here and ask a question that’s been asked before but why do that if you’re just going to ignore all the answers that are anythign other than other people going off to Google and posting links you could have found yourself?

The advantage of askign on here is specifically that you may not get the answer that you expected but you will get peoples opinions and experiences that may not be what you were expecting to hear.

In summary, if you’re prepared to listen ask on here if you just want a link to a shop then google.

MarkN
    Free Member

I find the search function only ever throws up results for classifieds ads or nothing at all…

I have found using the advanced search function a better solution. There you can restrict it to forum and set a date range for instance.

We do frequently see the same question over and over though. Maybe a FAQ or a sticky as to how to post and search for 1st time posters may be helpful as a suggestion.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You don’t need search function to find threads about Jedi – if you stare at your screen for two minutes someone will strt one saying how awesome his coaching days are, or someone will ask just how awesome is Jedi’s coaching. Like Clockwork!

How true. I suspect he uses hypnosis/suggestion techniques 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

EDIT: as Mark N says, you need to use the ‘advanced search’.

MussEd
    Free Member

Come to think of it you never see derren brown and tony Doyle in the same room, do you?

logical
    Free Member

Maybe you spend too much time on here then. I certainly think tha’s true of some individuals, who seem to spend nigt and day on her and pop up on practically every discussion to offer their opinion, regardless of whether or not thay actually have any knowledge of the topic or issues being discussed.

Tandem Jeremy hasn’t been here for ages now though!

chvck
    Free Member

It’d be a neat if the forum had functionality like StackOverflow does, when you type in a topic name it shows other “topics” with similar names or that might be along the same lines so that you can check those first to see if they have the answer you need. Granted, on there posting something that has already been asked is a bit of a no no.

smiff
    Free Member

ok i’m gonna let y’all into a secret that will change your lives and give you massive powers to find good info (no joke). ignore the search on the forum.
    search with google, like this:

what tyres site:singletrackworld.com

is this a crack site:singletrackworld.com

tada. and it works for every site, for anything, yay. and gives you nice recent only options on the side too (last month, year, etc).

and if you want to know what mtbr, ctc etc thinks too, try:

what tyres inurl:forum

is this a crack inurl:forum

Note: actually asking ‘is this a crack?’ is often pretty stupid on a forum, best done at your LBS..

eoghan
    Free Member

Snidey, mardy bum.

Still patronising, still funny.

D0NK

Smiff, cheers didn’t know about : site search, you learn something new everyday.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

as someone who posts the “use the search function”
    1) I am exasperated that after 20years people cannot effectively use the internet and lack basic IT skills that probably hinders them in the wider world
    2) make a point of posting links to threads the function finds that the OP doesnt (I linked TEN threads about what flat pedal shoe…)
    3) am used to forums where such repetitive Qs are met with a reply of use the search and nothing more (other than maybe abuse)
    4) find searching is far more efficient at garnering opinion. In the time the OP takes to start a thread and get maybe 20 opinions, they could have searched and find maybe 100?
    5) seriously, stick around and you will realise that, as Ive said in replies, with 145,000 topics your “what flat pedal”, “what flat pedal shoe”, “what 150mm AM bike” question will have been asked repeatedly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i generally only use “Google It” when if you put the thread title into google the answers would be there in front of you. (in under 1s)

slowrider
    Free Member

smiff, thats wicked. ta!

CheesybeanZ

5) seriously, stick around and you will realise that, as Ive said in replies, with 145,000 topics your “what flat pedal”, “what flat pedal shoe”, “what 150mm AM bike” question will have been asked repeatedly.

products change/improve the answer from 6-8 months ago is probably out of date with current views .

devs
    Free Member

People will help you if you help yourself but if you expect people to take time out to reply when you can’t be arsed doing a little research then you’ll get the stock “use the search” answer. Or RTFM as we used to say in the olden days when forums didn’t have ads and smiley faces.

vorlich
    Free Member

Maybe a FAQ or a sticky as to how to post and search for 1st time posters may be helpful as a suggestion.

It’s 2012. The internet has been around for ages now. Do we really still need to handhold people to this extent?

Posted from my Amstrad E-m@iler

Woody
    Free Member

If you know an answer(worst person to my knowledge is cynic al) tell the OP not refer to search, how easy is it to write the answer??

Poor Al (he’ll be devastated 😥 ) and surely it very much depends on the question as to whether it is even possible to give a definitive answer?

aracer
    Free Member

LOL at new user creating a thread to complain about being told to google it when he didn’t get the answer he wanted.

Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ aracer ……and yeah, bloody upstarts 😉

MussEd
    Free Member

How about if you see a thread that you feel May (check my IT skills – italics!) have been raised before, ignore it, don’t read it, move on to something else that does interest you. That’s what I do…

wwaswas

MussEd – it’s fairly unusual for people to just be pointed at Google isn’t it?

Mostly people will give their experience with products and are happy to say ‘try x for a good price’?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Being relatively new to this site – something noticed’ is closed to new replies.