Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Being electrocuted by my car ’97 Peugeot
  • tom84
    Free Member

Every time I get out my old run around it gives me a little electric shock to say good bye. It is a very old Peugeot: the possible issues I have identified are that I recently made a botched attempt to fit a new stereo and the electric sunroof controls are kaput. Of course, these might red herrings. Aside from this not being pleasant, my other concern is that, since buying the car, I have never used the ‘code’ in the little pad by my right knee, is it the immobiliser code? Anyway, I ‘think’ I found the code number for it in the old service history but haven’t tried it yet, nor am I sure what it actually does. I don’t want my electrics problem to immobilise the car by itself.

MrOvershoot

Static is my guess, had it on an old Rover from a combination of velour seats and clothing.
    Used to shut the door with the sole of my shoe.

rickmeister

Is it your brown, elastic waisted flares creating static on the beige velour ruched seats?

jam-bo

I don’t want my electrics problem to immobilise the car by itself.

late 90’s french car? i’m suprised its made it this far…

tom84
    Free Member

All hilarious, thanks all for brightening up my morning, I shall go with mrovershoot and stop worrying.
    EDIT how did you know about my flares???

parkesie
    Free Member

Try one of those old ground straps you to see dangling of old cars.

thols2

It’s static electricity. Your clothes and possibly the seat coverings in the car are the problem. A simple workaround is to hold a metal part of the car with your hand when you get out, before your feet touch the ground. The sparking will happen between your shoes and the ground, which you won’t notice.

alric
    Free Member

isnt it just static electricity?
    mine zaps me too, at times

chrishc777
    Free Member

Had a same era 306 that did this. I just knocked the door with the back of my hand before touching it properly to discharge it

timbur
    Free Member

It’s the flux capacitor discharging.

slowoldman

Static is my guess, had it on an old Rover from a combination of velour seats and clothing.
    Used to shut the door with the sole of my shoe.

I used to use my arm. That was a Rover too.

Cougar

Your arm was a Rover?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ha! I get this too. Every time I get out of my ancient decrepit german car. It is annoying, but then one forgets about it two seconds later… until the next time… and then you forget… until next time… ffs! when am I going to do something about this?! Should buy one of those dangly rubber things from the 1970’s store. But I probably won’t… until next time…

plastercaster
    Free Member

Apparently static shocks from cars are particularly prevalent when the weather is cold and dry, as it is at the moment.

This may be a rare case of not blaming the french, and waiting for it to rain again.

ransos
    Free Member

This may be a rare case of not blaming the french

Sacre bleu!

whitestone
    Free Member

Just hold a metal part of the door before putting a foot to the ground.

Oh, and I doubt you were electrocuted, you wouldn’t be writing here if you had been.

oldnick

The keypad in the centre console is the immobiliser, you should need to use it every time you put the key in to start it. But if the car is right hand drive and the keypad is by your right knee I’ve no idea.
    Still, apart from the zappings the car is working, don’t touch the keypad!

reeksy

It’s Brexit revenge … they saw it coming even back then.

… check the spare wheel for rotting onions!

joshvegas
    Free Member

How sure are you that its not you giving the car a shock? coul dbe handy if you get a flat battery…

slowoldman

Your arm was a Rover?

Erm, no I always kept my hands to myself. Honest guv.

DezB
    Free Member

I doubt you were electrocuted, you wouldn’t be writing here if you had been

Interesting one:
    Miriam Webster/Wikipedia etc: Definition of electrocute
    transitive verb
    1: to kill or severely injure by electric shock

whereas Cambridge dictionary: electrocute
    verb [ T often passive ]
    UK /iˈlek.trə.kjuːt/ US /iˈlek.trə.kjuːt/
    to kill someone by causing electricity to flow through their body

so, I guess, like “literally” actual poor usage of the word has caused it’s meaning to change.

Olly
    Free Member

’97 Peugeot

its a feature. you pay more for that.

CountZero

My Ford Puma was a great car, and I really miss it, but it was the worse car I’ve known for static shocks! I used to flick the edge of the door as I opened it with my fingernails, which would discharge without giving me a jolt, if it was quiet, I could hear the ‘snap’ noise the spark made.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Being electrocuted by my car ’97 Peugeot’ is closed to new replies.