Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Being asked to remove a Buff at airport security?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

This is tongue in cheek but am interested if anybody knows the rules around this?

I fly a lot and at one airport I am often asked to remove my buff, I actually wear it because it keeps my long hair out the way when I climb and then leave it on cos its a cool look and easier than messing about. Clearly it’s material and not going to set off alarms. It’s like a turban but I technically don’t wear it as a religious thing. At heathrow I never have been asked to remove but at this regional airport they always ask. The inconsistency is a worry.

But anyway the question I have is what more could I be concealing in a buff versus down my trousers? And thankfully nobody asks me to remove them. So what’s the difference? Does anybody understand the logic??

cynic-al
    Free Member

I actually wear it because it keeps my long hair out the way when I climb and then leave it on cos its a cool look

pics please 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Errrr no. 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

a buff looks cool, **** off its a giant scrunchy for IT men!

maccruiskeen

There’s probably no specific reason as people wearing buffs in airports probably isn’t a common enough occurance to warrant a rule. Generally you’re asked to remove things like hats scarves and coats so subjectively some might consider a buff to be like a scarf.

Maybe the airport staff think you’re trying to hide a dreadful hickey and want you to remove the buff so they can have a laugh. They might find it just as funny that you’re not hiding anything. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Errrr no.

But you think it’s cool… 😐

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Trust me, when my 8 year old daughter says its cool, it’s cool, no matter what!!! 🙂

smell_it
    Free Member

Buff……cool look….???

A buff is a great piece of kit for a variety of activities, but a soon as you stop doing the activity it makes you look a douche.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

You’re clearly not parents. :-).

Maybe my buff can represent my religion.. The religion of biking and climbing, of the great outdoors, mother nature, and then I could get it treated as religious headwear and not remove it?

And yes, in the census I did say my religion was Jedi. Tongue in cheek but I’d like to find out the rules and inconsistency.

cookeaa

Most likely they won’t care but they will probably ask you to remove it because wearing a buff as part of your normal day to day ‘look’ is a bit ****… like having long hair once you become a grownup with a proper job…

I believe the only people legally allowed to even attempt that look are Italian footballers or lower tier russian pimps, who’ve actually had their fashion sense surgically fixed in “bad guy from a Jean-Claude Van-Damme film circa 1992” mode…

If smuggling C4 the best choice of headwear is a sombrero. Its roomier and underpants have been done already…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt you’ll find an answer. I’ve had a regional airport be right fascists about bike parts/tools that others let through fine.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Cynic, maybe they spot the ti bikes in the hold and pick on you!

cynic-al
    Free Member

It was probably due to my cool look as I was wearing a buff at the time 😉

maccruiskeen

If smuggling C4 the best choice of headwear is a sombrero. Its roomier and underpants have been done already…

C4? That’s sooooo 1980s. No point hiding that in your hat, detectors will be able to smell it before you even reach the security gate. I had to carry a get out of jail card after using it as it can be detected on you for months afterwards.

donsimon
    Free Member

Trust me, when my 8 year old daughter says its cool, it’s cool, no matter what!!

Oh, that kind of cool. 🙁

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My daughter would concur you’d look cool in a buff, when we climb she recently asked for one !

Spin
    Free Member

If we take this to its logical conclusion you’ll be in the buff not a Buff at airport security.

Taff
    Free Member

Depends how it’s worn I suppose. I wear scarves every now and again and got aske to take it off in hearhrow but not in Gartwick. Suppose it’s individual policies but better safe than sorry

hels
    Free Member

You should email the people at Buff and tell them about your experiences, it may lead to a new design, sort of ginghamy. They could call it “The Yasser”.

GW
    Free Member

Cool! 8)

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Where and when are you riding next, I want to be in your company !

theblackmount
    Free Member

>because it keeps my long hair out the way<

What about Ti Kirby Grips? It’s what all the girls are wearing…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Most likely they won’t care but they will probably ask you to remove it because wearing a buff as part of your normal day to day ‘look’ is a bit ****… like having long hair once you become a grownup with a proper job…

I believe the only people legally allowed to even attempt that look are Italian footballers or lower tier russian pimps, who’ve actually had their fashion sense surgically fixed in “bad guy from a Jean-Claude Van-Damme film circa 1992” mode…

So many rules in your world. Shame really.

fasthaggis

A buff is a great piece of kit for a variety of activities

This is very true ,once some activities are over,there is no need to be in the Buff.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Were you rocking this look?

m1kea
    Free Member

Ignoring the sartorial aspect to this thread, airport security around the world is full of stunted individuals who failed to get a proper security job and are on some twatty little power trip.

Consequently there is no consistency in their approach but the higher ups have to support the knuckle dragger’s decisions for fear of loosing face. Logic and common sense are three words in a dictionary somewhere as far as these people are concerned.

bwaarp
    Free Member

but a soon as you stop doing the activity it makes you look a douche.

Using the word ‘douche’ makes you at best look like a bit of a cock and at worst an American.

cookeaa

So many rules in your world. Shame really.

Rules are there to be broken…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

M1kea, so true. In the States there’s even signs about not making jokes as you go through security, like stop having fun or else… Which just makes me laugh!

Oops. 😉

hexhamstu
    Free Member

So efing cool!

m1kea
    Free Member

^^^^^ so effing wrong 😆

When the first big round of scaremongering / slapping the plebs down started in 2008, we took perverse delight in wondering why UK security was so locked down compared to the Egyptians, who allowed at least one person on our flight with a massive thick carved walking stick. – You’d have needed to tape 4 pool cues together to get a similar size weapon.

Not actually had a problem with the Yank’s TSA staff but it’s very obvious that they’ve employed some people who just about managed to sign their own name.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Being asked to remove a Buff at airport security?’ is closed to new replies.