Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Being an average racer – worth it?
  • Kryton57

Because the amount of whinging you do on here about it would make it seem like someone is forcing you to do it…

I’m not whinging I said earlier I don’t intend to stop and there’s many motivations for carrying on.

I’m just interested in discussing other’s thoughts on some of the effort racing & training requires, or not in some cases.

I can see why the pro’s do it, its just as hard for them I guess but at average level is it worth the effort?

Discuss…

From my op, see? Discussion, driven but the ups & downs of my last 2 weeks.

lazybike
    Free Member

Don’t overlook the mental side of racing, lots of people concentrate on the physical aspect, it takes a completely different mindset to be able to go faster than everyone else..

flange
    Free Member

As per normal, my initial post was a bit…harsh. Apologies.

Regarding your motivation, is it to stay trim and fit or is there a burning desire/need to win? When I was racing I couldn’t have cared less about how slim and trim I was, I just wanted to smash the faces in of everyone I was racing. Obviously weight was a concern, but the net result of ‘being fit’ didn’t even register. I even downloaded pictures of my racing peers and had them stuck of no the wall in my ‘turbo cave’ – a bit weird but did the job when all I wanted to do was get off, watch TV and eat cake.

I still stick by the coach thing. Apparently Bottril was ‘only’ doing 8 hrs a week training when he was winning national 10’s and 25’s. You sound like you’re putting the hours in, maybe you need to look at the quality of those hours.

As for is it worth it – the first time I stood on the podium I properly choked up. In fact, the first time I did ‘well’ (in this case, 23rd out of 180 at a VERY muddy round of the Thetford Winter series) I actually cried as I walked back to the car after finding out my result – not sure i’ve ever felt happier. Previous season I’d been in the bottom 5…

dragon
    Free Member

Its a race, so unless you win the race basically all your efforts have been wasted.

I completely disagree with this you can use races to build form, to get more ‘street smart’ or simply to race for fun. Most of the time in bike racing you are a loser and that goes for the pro’s as well.

Kryton57 how do you square I’m not a powerful rider with I’m better in the flat.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

No offence Kryton but you were no spring chicken when you started, most of the guys at the pointy end have been at it for years, your body just wont adapt enough (in all likelyhood – statistical outliers exist etc…) to match theirs. You can look at it two ways:

I’ll never be the winner so there’s no point

or

I’ll beast myself to beat myself

If you’re going to continue to race it needs to be about you enjoying getting faster/better against yourself/beat the guy who beat you last time cos the chances are you won’t be troubling the podium. With regards to levels of training/’sacrifice’ etc only you can decide what’s too much but i get the feeling you’re the kind of person who gets as much out of obsessing over the process as the results, me I just CBA with all that.

BoardinBob

I trained my arse off for the EWS last year. Proper 6 days a week on the bike, turbo and gym. No booze, healthy eating. I felt great on the bike (relative to my norm).

By the time the race was over it was the worst result I’ve ever had! Nerves plus the fact I was in the midst of splitting up with my wife meant I rode like an absolute donkey.

Standing at the start of the 1st stage. Oh look there’s Nico Voullioz, Cedric Gracia, Fabien Barel etc. Maybe I’ve bitten off too much here 😕 About 3 corners in I almost pulled over to vomit with nerves then proceeded to spend the rest of the day crashing.

Finished the first day 260th out of 263! Gave myself a good talking to at night and managed to do much better on day 2 coming in at 237th that day and 245th overall.

Regardless, all the training in the world becomes pointless if your head’s not in the game and since then I’ve learned to relax a lot more and to care a lot less as it doesn’t matter at the bottom end of the field, as long as I’m not dead last!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I used to do a bit of MTB racing in my 20’s and enjoyed it, I was never great but at least came top half of the field.

I’ve not done any for roughly 10 years.

Last year I did 3 Peaks Cyclocross, and came in pretty much at the back of the field. I was embarrassed by that. However people said that with the amount of time I had to be able to train I did pretty well.

However – I am now thinking do I want to do it again? I loved the course, and the race itself. However I couldn’t see myself doing the level of training needed to get even half way up the field, to me it would take away too much time from family. Also spending hours on a bike each week (just to get fit) doesn’t really appeal in any way.

So either I enter again and accept I will do pretty badly, or accept being the worst of a good bunch, and enjoy the opportunity to enjoy taking part. However the competitive side of me still wants to get out, do more, etc etc…. who wants to come last???

LS
    Free Member

The hot cross bun – I’m not a powerful rider so the weight part of w/kg is quite important to me, plus I can gain serious weight at the bat of an eyelid so I do need to take care.

Neither am I, far from it, but if fretting about eating a hot cross bun is what you’ve been reduced to then you need to have a serious word with yourself. One of the joys of cycling, and particularly hard training, is the facility it gives you to eat pretty much any damned thing you like.

crosshair
    Free Member

Focus on the process goals not the performance ones.

http://www.derekshanks.co.uk/2015/03/its-all-about-process.html

Go back to page one of your cat 4 racing thread and see how far you’ve come (or not) then change your processes to give more achievable outcomes.

Write a plan too! For all the stick he gets about Z2, Friels MTB training bible gives a really clear road for identifying weaknesses and really focussing your attention on the key A races. Even if you then use a different set of workouts- his planning stuff is invaluable IMO.

If pinning on a number isn’t giving you a buzz at the mo then lay off until you start to miss it 🙂

Northwind

I sometimes rise to the dizzying heights of average, and really enjoy it. TBF I seem to be having more fun than most of the top 20%. But I generally do this by investing no more effort than an entry fee and actually turning up- my racing’s just part of my riding. I wouldn’t do it if I felt I had to work on diet, real training etc. (I suspect if I did, I could rise a decent distance up the results but I’d never be actually fast anyway)

Lots of different approaches to this, maybe if you’re not happy with the one you’re using you could look for another?

Kryton57

Kryton57 how do you square I’m not a powerful rider with I’m better in the flat.

I don’t know. I have this weird way of being able to turn big gears at pace on the flat on an MTB course, yet struggle up hills.

From what I’ve read before, I think its because my physiology is more geared towards fast twitch aka sprinter rather than climber – Wiggins vs Cav as an
    extreme example.

Friels MTB training bible gives a really clear road for identifying weaknesses and really focussing your attention on the key A races

I do this. The race I just did was a B race, the prior one where I came 13th was a C race where I didnt give a toss about the result.

No offence Kryton but you were no spring chicken when you started

None taken! 41 when I started seriously 44 now.

I’ll beast myself to beat myself

If you’re going to continue to race it needs to be about you enjoying getting faster/better against yourself/beat the guy who beat you last time cos the chances are you won’t be troubling the podium.

A valuable piece of thinking, thanks.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

You always seem to dwell so much on the negatives and once you get into that mindset it is going to impact on your motivation as you are now finding. From my own perspective if i do worse than expected in a road race then it is extra frustrating because it takes weeks to ‘rectify’ things simply because it can be weeks for the next race to come along. That frustration can sometimes be channeled into training but sometimes it means the motivation goes too because the gap to be made up feels too big.

It might be strange to recommend that you try yet another discipline of cycle sport but if you want to try and develop a racing mentality then take up track cycling. Get your accreditation done over the summer then you will be ready for the autumn and winter. With a track league you’ll get 4 races a night, that gives the luxury of trying new things, trying new tactics, being able to make an arse of it then 20 minutes later get another chance and being able to get the frustration out the system rather than letting it stew in your mind. The progress riders can make over the course of a few weeks is vast, and so much of that is just gaining experience rather than increased fitness.

scaredypants

Don’t underestimate the service you’re providing to us really fast guys

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thinking back to your “credible 4th cat” post, it seemed you were disappointed to have done a tough club run and then got dropped in a crit straight after? Or similarly tough sequential rides?

About the time you started, I was on that same sort of journey.

I like the process of learning – in training and racing. Its hard graft, but before I always wondered “what does it take”.

Anyway, from what you describe, it sounds like you (still) totally batter yourself in training right up to an event and are then disappointed when it doesn’t go well.

I used to absolutely hammer it in training and much more than 1 easy day between hard days was an alien concept. How can you improve if you’re not pushing on, I thought? But in the last 12 months, since getting a coach, I’ve realised it is training smart. Not just to certain zones but also not necessarily super high intensity even if you’re time bound. Improvements still come and you don’t have to feel wrecked all the time.

And I keep thinking I should look at my nutrition but I like cake and sweet things way too much.

If you didn’t complete a session then why was that? Maybe you need more of a rest? Maybe you need to build up to that session, giving your body time to adapt during the build process.

What will success on the TT look like? Getting back safely with a time on the board would be my success criteria. Next time after that “success” is to beat your previous time.

Or perhaps success is just feeling the burn, crossing the line and knowing you couldn’t have done any more.

Kryton57

What will success on the TT look like? Getting back safely with a time on the board would be my success criteria.

It is yes.

Anyway, from what you describe, it sounds like you (still) totally batter yourself in training right up to an event and are then disappointed when it doesn’t go well.

Its odd, because I knew tapering was important but guess didn’t have the confidence to move away from my Trainerroad plan for the week before. Lesson learned, I shall be have an easy week next week before Battle of the Beach.

Anyway, this wasn’t supposed to be “about me”, I was interested in how others approach life in the mid-pack, so I’ll leave it there and watch with interest – I think this thread has useful content for many others as well, so thanks for the contributions so far.

adsh
    Free Member

3 months of slow/appropriate weight loss to a target w/KG and diet discipline, 3 months of no booze, 3 months of turbo training only to come 33rd in a Regional A XCO race.

It’s about realism. Any expectation that that amount of training and devotion on an alloy FS while slightly overweight could get you better than average at a regional event is surely misplaced.

Anyhow this is how I coped:-

1. I set realistic staged long term goals. First year take part, second year mid pack, third year top 10, Fourth year podium. I got a couple of podiums in year 3, one a small field, one well deserved.
    2. I got a coach
    3. I got help from STW about a year ago when I was pissed at picking up 2 places in the Gorrick 100 (my third) after a years serious training.
    4. A wake up call is good – I got some more hours in and rode more XC courses as part of my training.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I race a few times a year – PMBA Enduros and last year (and this), the Ard Rock. Might try and squeeze some of the Welsh Enduros in as well if they’re in North Wales.

Why do I do it? I enjoy it. I certainly don’t do it because I’m good at it but I like looking back on a weekend and being half disappointed I end up about 2/3rds of the way down the field usually but half knowing I could do better and knowing where I could have made up the 15/30 seconds overall which would put me slap bang in the middle of the field which, to be honest, I’d view as a great result!

I admit, it isn’t cheap. It’d be really cool if some underground Enduro type stuff popped up here and there for a tenner – mates race type things. I’m sure there are but very few of my mates race!

Back in the day I used to race downhill. Hated it. So full of idiots it was unreal. Sacked it off for ages and then had a go at a 24hr solo race and loved that, then the ST Classic Weekenders (come on guys, do it again but at Gisburn or somewhere) and then moved onto the Enduro stuff. That mix of excitement and fear as you roll up to the start gate – its addictive (and scary at the same time).

chum3
    Free Member

I don’t think what you describe is a mid-pack thing at all. Not fulfilling your potential / seeing your training reflected in your results is going to impact anyone.

I’ve got a coach for the first time this year, and have been pleasantly surprised at his attitude towards training. Very pragmatic, focus on sustainable training and the big picture, and actually being ‘allowed’ mentally to miss a session or rework a session if life gets in the way, means that I feel less pressure to train now, than when I was training myself.

I’m not saying you need a coach, but your training has to be sustainable. You can’t sprint a marathon…

ferrals
    Free Member

Re-reading your inital post, it sounds like your just fatigued? also if training hard you can’t watch your food intake too much – have the bloody cinnamon bun. I’ve just had an almond slice and a raspberry and white chocolate cake. I’m counting it as carboloading.

digger95
    Free Member

Krypton,
    There’s a whole other sport (and probably more i don’t know about) where you have a much better chance of podium glory on your MTB:
    The terrain can get surprisingly technical in some regions (I do welsh ones but I bet the Peaks are good for MTBO). You need to think on your feet which adds another, rewarding/frustrating, dimension.
    I’m racing the Gorrick XC this weekend and expect to be bottom 1/4 of the Sport field but my motivation is knowing just getting to top 1/2 would probably make me equal to some of the best MTBO riders…

MTB-Orienteering

sbtouring
    Free Member

If you love racing, then regardless of the result it is worth it.
    I’ve won road and xc races. But had many years of injury, illness and work getting in the way, and now don’t train as much as previously and nowhere near as fit as I once was. But I still love to pin a race number on. I now really enjoy racing cx. I have had some races where I feel like the brakes are stuck on, and in the past I would of just quit in that situation, but now I remind myself that no matter of how bad I do in the race I am still racing and doing what I want to do.
    So if it is what you want to do, just enjoy it, forget the latest result, as all the hard work will be worth it in the long run. You will have some great results which will make all the suffering and sacrifices worth it.

crosshair
    Free Member

Kryton, if you don’t taper then your plan isn’t worth the paper it’s written on really. You need to focus! After a good taper, you feel like you’re flying and your legs are superhuman (relatively of course).
    You’re a classic over trainer- all your rides meld into mediocrity.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve raced and come nowhere and loved every minute of it.I’ve raced and podiumed at regional/national level and pretty much hated every minute of it.
    As long as I’ve felt I’ve ridden well (regardless of position) I’ve always felt like it was worth it.
    However after a year of full year of racing/training I was VERY glad to see the back of it.I got some good (and very surprising to me) results.I had some great times and on reflection enjoyed the experiences of being at the pointy end of proceedings.But I also had just as much fun when I was in the cheap seats and did’nt have the guilt/pressure/constant hunger of being competetive.
    I’m glad I did it.
    I don’t regret stopping.
    I like riding bikes.
    I quite like competing….with myself.
    I quite like pies too.

ferrals
    Free Member

Sounds like a pie eating competition might be the answer then 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ohhhh…..I’m winning that right now.

Yak

Pie competition?! I’m in, and not mucking about mid pack either. No sireee, I’ve got this won 😀

phil40
    Free Member

I am just getting started with XC racing, last year when I rode a couple of events I managed to come dead last in one round of the southern XC series……..in the beginner class! EVERYONE else that day was faster than me 🙂

If I looked at things by comparing myself to everyone else I would have thrown my bike in the bin and gone back to eating doughnuts! Instead, thanks to a mate who handed me a healthy dose of MTFU I set these targets: (some of which are nicked from motivational posters)
    1) Every time I race I beat everyone who didn’t show up
    2) I have lost 10kg since I started trying to get xc race fit, which means I can run round with my children more = BIG WIN
    3) I can call myself an XC racer, even if I am last!
    4) I make everyone else in the race look that little bit better 😀

I am doing the Southern XC rd1 in a couple of weeks, I am hoping not to come last, I have been doing some training, and weigh a lot less! I also treated myself to a 2nd hand Scott HT as that will make all the difference!

If you do the race, then I can promise you, you will kick my arse all over the course…..I will still be having fun!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Kryton, have a read http://shedbrewed.blogspot.com.es/2015/11/above-all-else-or-quitting-because-it.html?m=1
    I’ll see you at battle on the beach, I’ll be easy to recognise as I’ll be too fat for my Pontypool skinsuit after spending this week relaxing in the sun and eating cake.
    Sometimes it’s not a case that cycling is suffering is improvement. Sometimes it’s just shit and you need to recognise those times and put them down to experience.
    Good luck.

Oh a fwiw my sister was fighting stage 3 breast cancer when she did the great north run as alluded to in the blog. Puts a cracked wrist into perspective.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s entirely up to you OP.

I enjoyed progressing and making the podium (Scottish xc Masters) but after that no.

I like to maintain some fitness and have done OK in the few tris and marathons I’ve branched out to.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

On the subject of tapering, I’m finding that it sometimes takes more than an easy week to find the ‘form’ the training has provided. Its often well into the next week of training after an easy week, when I start to feel good.

Take it up a level or so. 200 riders in the Tour. Only 1 is going to win it each year. A couple more on the podium. A few win the other jerseys. A handful will win stages. The rest will come away with nothing. They may even ride their bikes for a whole career and never see the finish line first. Ask them if it was worth it….

For me it started with being able to finish in a team in the top quarter of a 12 hour race with no real structured training. That was fun but there was no great progress from one event to the next year on year. I didn’t really mind back then, I felt lucky I could ride faster than most of the field without much preparation. Now I’m training properly and I can see progress in the numbers. I’m enjoying seeing what structured effort in training can do for race day. If anything.

To me its worth it. I feel better mentally. It relieves the stresses of the rest of life.

But ultimately its probably pointless. Its not saving the world from apocalyptic disaster, or feeding the starving families in the 3rd world, or saving lives as a doctor.

scotroutes

Yeah, but the Tour is a team event. The whole idea of one person winning it is complete nonsense. It’s like saying that Wilko won the Rugby World Cup.

Kryton57

Phil40 and Shedbrewed, thanks for your posts, both very apt.

Any expectation that that amount of training and devotion on an alloy FS

…has got bugger all to do with it. Would me popping out and buying a Trek Procal SL earn me any more places? No. My bike is fine, is now 24lb and designed/purchased more for the longer event comfort than 90 minutes blast.

All of which has reminded me of how I felt when I stood on the Torque12 podium for 3rd pair last year – after an inclusive Carribbean holiday… (although I did do spin bike workouts every other day for an hour in the gym). Its a good point that remembering those time is important.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m another racing for fun and against myself/the course at local grassroots DHs. Two runs- I’m chuffed if I get down in one piece and I get down in a faster time on my second run. I will never, ever trouble the sharp end but I’m content in pushing my own little bit of the performance envelope, albeit the sticky, gluey bit 😆

chrishc777
    Free Member

My best result was recently at a cross race, easily the event I enjoyed the least! Signed up for loads of enduros this year, my objective is to get better and beat some mates, simple as that!

sirromj

One of the joys of cycling, and particularly hard training, is the facility it gives you to eat pretty much any damned thing you like.

Yay! I’ve been doing it right! (Well maybe not the hard training bit)

vickypea
    Free Member

I love the atmosphere of races and events. I’m not very good but that doesn’t bother me. It’s fun and helps me to improve my fitness. I’m fiercely competitive with myself.
    I do a few TTs and a few XC events each year. For TTs, I don’t bother with tri bars or aero kit bit I still give it all I’ve got. Last year I did a 50-mile TT and I’d only been back on my bike a few weeks after spinal surgery but still managed to beat half the women, a tandem, and a bloke on a tricycle 😀

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok bad example Scotroutes, but team event or not – there are hundreds of pro’s that are essentially “average” in relation to their peers.

scotroutes

Pros – they get paid. So, “is it worth it” has a different dimension.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tough time of year to be asking that question.

I’m still quite new to competitive cycling and am amazed at how bloody hard everyone works at it. Reckon being average, certainly in a regional vets xc race, is a considerable achievement.

Anyway sounds like your niche is long solo xc stuff so I’d not be too devastated if you’re not smashing XCO races or TT’s or crits or whatever you’ve got lined up this week 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Being an average racer – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.