Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Being a good Samaritan is pointless.
  • cyclingwilly
    Free Member

I had planned to go for a quiet pint or two with a mate last night, there is a fairly new tenants in there and they seem to be doing well, the whole pub was busy, with familes and couples enjoying a bite and a beer. We’d been in there a matter of minutes and had just been served, when in walks a couple of idiots, they were causing havoc even before they’d ordered a drink.  They were swearing profusely, every third or fourth word started with “F”, and they had gained the attention of everyone, I even witnessed one woman covering her young sons ears. There was a lot of disgruntled customersThe landlady and other staff just carried on serving, without telling any of them to quieten down and stop the swearing or leave the premises.  After 10 minutes, myself and my mate decided to have a word, we were given the same tirade of foul language, but my mate is a lot bigger than me and “assisted” them outside to discuss their behaviour, the landlady followed him straight out, she was followed by at least 12 customers who’d been enjoying a pleasant time. The landlady started berating my mate for upsetting two or her customers, he pointed to the people who were walking away from the premises, some I would assume, will have been disgusted by the two idiots and the landlady’s lack of interest in removing them in the first place, I reckon several not paid their bills either.

Both these clowns were a gallon of beer beyond ridiculous and one had some white powder on his nose, the landlady said, “that’s nothing to do with me”,  I replied, “that is true, but how many of your customers have witnessed what’s happened, have left without paying and will not be coming back, if this is the way you run your business, plus, what are the reviews going to be like if they decide to put them on Trip Advisor and the like, how will your business look then?”

She went very quiet and went back inside, closely followed by the two idiots, my mate and I just looked at each other in amazement.  My mate went into the pub, the idiots had started with the foul language again, my mate reached to get our pints, but they’d gone, the barmaid said, “I thought you’d left, so poured them out”, my mate asked for two more, picked them up and came outside, seconds later, the landlady arrived and took them off us, claiming we hadn’t paid for them.

We sat outside for a few more minutes, watching the majority of the remaining customers leave, the dining room had emptied and apart from the idiots, there was 3 diehards still in there. I would hazard a guess, that at least 40 people had left, this would put a big dent in the takings for the night and leaving the place with a very poor reputation, at this, we decided to go home.

One good turn, gets thrown back in your face.

Alpha1653

Sounds like the landlady needs to grow a spine or get out of the pub trade.

Did anyone complain to the staff before you stepped in?

tomhoward

Tbh, my first port of call would have been to point out the behaviour to the staff, specifically saying you were unhappy with it, rather than assume they would think it was unacceptable. Then if assistance from them wasn’t forthcoming the chaps would be invited to discuss their behaviour.

ajantom

Chalk it up as a pub not to visit again. I suspect most of the other punters will do the same, and tell their mates not to go.

You could put a shitty review online, and if you feel strongly then report them as it is illegal to serve alcohol to people who are already drunk (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/2010-to-2015-government-policy-alcohol-sales/2010-to-2015-government-policy-alcohol-sales)

They could lose their license if enough people complained, and based on your story I suspect it won’t be too long.

revs1972
    Free Member

Sounds like these idiots may have been friends / relations of the landlady ?

funkmasterp

I was just thinking what revs1972 has posted. Thier business, if they want to run it in to the ground, let them. I’d be giving the place a wide berth from now on.

handybar
    Free Member

Landlady is going out with one of them, she has a weak personality and fondness for bad boys would be my guess. May also be on the dickhead dust too.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I’d have definitely gone to the staff before confronting the idiots, it’s their business after all. I imagine the staff (and families) were worrief seeing a big bloke confront a group of drunks in their pub as it could have kicked off.

I wish the morons would stick to the shit pubs though, rather than ruin the nice/ family-friendly ones. The owners should be ashamed of how they acted by not dealing with the double makers.

sirromj

The <b>parable of the Good Samaritan</b> is a parable told by Jesus in the Gospel of Luke.<sup id=”cite_ref-1″ class=”reference”>[1]</sup> It is about a traveler who is stripped of clothing, beaten, and left half dead alongside the road

Not sure swearing really compares does it?

cyclingwilly
    Free Member

I should have added, that two people had already complained to one member of staff and the landlady, she is married, he husband was in the kitchen, came out, saw what was going on and went back to cooking. From what I heard this morning, they’d spent all day on the sauce at a Wetherspoons somewhere else and the landlady was refusing to serve them, until they’d paid off their tabs, which I think is illegal. The loudest one paid her £268!

I’m keeping well away, they’ll be gone by christmas I reckon.

mikeyp

Flat roof?

CountZero

I’m keeping well away, they’ll be gone by christmas I reckon.

Quite likely, problem is, who takes over, and how will they deal with the poor rep created by the current incumbents. Is the pub an Enterprise pub? It may be the people running it are new to the trade, and have no idea how to deal with that sort of situation.

My regular pub in Corsham has zero tolerance for any sort of misbehaving, and anyone infringing will be shown the door. I was in there with a mate one evening and there were two blokes at the bar while I was ordering drinks. I have a preference for large tankard-style glasses, and the person serving was fairly new and went for a sleeve glass, so I pointed to the ones we usually have, when this bloke at the bar started making snide comments about my insisting on a particular glass. I just sort of ignored him, made some comment and he kept on, so I grabbed the drinks and we went and sat down. Anyway, he must have kept it up with someone else, ‘cos a few minutes later it got heated and verbal, and all of a sudden the two of them were grappling, went over the wooden divider, crashed into people the other side, drinks went flying, some glasses broke, then they were both grabbed by the landlord and his brother, and thrown out of the door into the street! It was obvious the one there first was deliberately looking to wind someone up, for whatever reason, but he’s never been allowed back, the landlord got everyone fresh drinks, including us, although ours only got a bit spilt.

Thats the way it should be dealt with, and regular visitors appreciate it. The pub is the Flemish Weaver at the top of the high street, opposite Church Street, where they filmed some of the first series of Poldark and an episode of The Suspicions Of Mr Whitcher, for anyone who might find themselves in Corsham and fancies a pint or two, they have an excellent and constantly changing range of beer as well.

binners

The regulars in my local, who finish work then prop the bar up all night are a bunch of bottom-feeding, UKIP voting morons. They basically treat the place like a personal drinking club. The landlord, landlady and bar staff have allowed them to do so as they all drink like fish.

One evening I’d had as much as I could take of loud conversations blaming all the worlds ills on “****ing ****’s, n*****s and queers”, and absolutely saw my arse.

I explained to them, in small words that they might actually understand, why what they were saying was unacceptable to most civilised people and I was sick of ****ing listening to it!  I finished my rant, and signed off with “you’re just a bunch of ****ing bigots!!!”, and left

Another one of the less dense locals said what happened next was comedy gold.

A silence descended on them for about 5 seconds while they digested my offloading, then a voice piped up….

”what’s a bigot?”

That’s the intellect we’re dealing with here. Self-awareness not being a strong point.

Anyway… the upshot is that apparently I’m the bad guy for ‘kicking off’, and I’ve never been back in since (a couple of years now), nobody I know will go in there for the same reason, I know for a fact that the landlord and the brewery have received numerous complaints about it basically feeling like a BNP meeting when you go in there, but it’s still the same gang of gammons sat around the bar every night.

garage-dweller

Binners

You cannot use the term gammon to describe that kind of oxygen thief!

Gammon is a delicious highly desirable and easily digested form of nutrition.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Gammon has been cured and these types are incurable and certainly not good for digestion. </span>

As for the OP it would be complaint to the brewery if a tied house / leased / chain pub.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t wanna wade in on a pub thread particularly, but in the spirit of all good characterful hostelries I’ll give my two penneth.

There’s a pub for everyone and on certain occasions I’d probably even prefer to chance my arm with a barload of gammon than to sit in a genteel establishment with everyone minding their p’s and q’s.

Not every pub has been gentrified.

I know you were acting in good faith, but what you’ve really done is escalate a situation from something mildly obnoxious but relatively benign, to something far more menacing and likely to turn ugly.

Doesn’t matter whether you’re a foul mouthed radge or a polite and courteous fellow with a stout heart and honest intentions, you’re nothing but a troublemaker once you start throwing your weight around, especially if you’ve taken the law into your own hands and acted without the express consent of the landlady.

Perhaps the punctilious daytime demographic had already outstayed their welcome?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have never seen asking drunk people to do xyz in a “firm” manor work, only esculate the situation.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Thats the way it should be dealt with, and regular visitors appreciate it

No, it isn’t.  Decent bar staff should be aware of the idiots and deal with them before it escalates into violence.  In my local, drunk people don’t get served and people who look as if they’re trying to start something but have already been served will have their drinks taken off them and told to leave.

nickhit3
    Free Member

OT but, the n-word not on the swear filter, or ‘queer’ for that matter?  quite a shock to read it there above- did it need to be used there really? the phase ‘racist abuse’ not enough?  I got the context but seems odd that its allowed. surely more offensive than the f’ing used in the rest of the post.

//Blanked out for you now. Chipps//

tomhoward

n-word not on the swear filter, or ‘queer’ for that matter

Are they swear words?

nickhit3
    Free Member

Are they swear words?

if i called a black person that, do you think they’d whip out a dictionary and check the definition?

It didn’t need to be used i don’t think, and a substitution wouldn’t have changed the context of Binner’s anecdote. The characters he were describing were already painted as fools and bigots. dunno, just seems like ropey moderation.

cynic-al
    Free Member

On topic, I’d have spoken to staff then voted with my feet.

I’m not sure what you thought you would achieve, it’s the landlord’s responsibility.

Cougar

The swear filter is a blunt tool to **** out a few of the more common swear words.  It is not, and was never intended to be, anyone’s personal censorship filter.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m not sure throwing your weight about with somebody that wasn’t actually getting physical constitutes being a “good Samaritan”.

Not saying in the context I wouldn’t have applauded it, but it’s hardly helping somebody vulnerable and different to ones self out, is it? The staff may well have been dealing with things in a more subtle way (or not), but it’s their job, vote with your feet if you don’t like it.

Similar to the UKIP pub, those guys might be their regulars and much as they’ll be milking the hot weather, those families visiting for a quick meal and a drink now won’t pay the bills through winter, so whilst upsetting for the rest of the visitors, it’s just not good business sense for them to throw out their regulars.

A firm word might be a better idea, perhaps a proper word with the bar staff/landlady prior to taking things into his own hands might serve your mate better for the future.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Doesn’t everyone swear nowadays?

If you got upset about every sweary bugger around here it would be fight night every f******* night.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Are children allowed in pub’s nowadays?

Christ, I’d avoid anywhere like that like the plague.

w00dster

I’m with Yunki on this one. Not sure what was expected to be achieved in the Good Samaritan sense by going outside to talk to some drunks? So was the intention of your “larger” friend to get into a fight with them outside, just because they were drunk and their behaviour being loud and sweary (in a pub where this is pretty common behaviour and has been for hundreds of years)? His “assisting”them, I’m making a large assumption here, but did he physically assault them by assisting them?

I have to admit I’m not really a drinker and I don’t like drunk behaviour, but I also know its not a good idea to ask said drunks outside for a discussion about how they should behave. I may be a bit overly sensible, but if the staff were unwilling to ask the drunks to leave, then I know its not my job to get into an altercation on their behalf, so I’d sit in a part of the pub where I wasn’t affected or I would leave.

I guess there is a fine line between being a “Good Samaritan” and also acting like a violent thug. Just reminded me, The Equalizer 2 is out soon.

nickhit3
    Free Member

The swear filter is a blunt tool to **** out a few of the more common swear words.  It is not, and was never intended to be, anyone’s personal censorship filter.

lol explains a lot on STW. Finally a platform to bring back the word **** amongst our anecdotes, its not a swearword or offensive so I’m told above so its fine. I cannot think of any other forum that would not stamp on this type of language and not hide behind some BS ‘personal censorship’ argument. what a joke.

handybar
    Free Member

Pubs are always difficult to regulate because people are instinctively territorial in them esp if drunk. I know pubs where the landlords are too controlling; or where the space is controlled by the regulars – I’ve seen people picked up and thrown out of pubs by the locals if they were starting to misbehave; or where no-one really cares and they quickly go downhill.

But TripAdviser has undoubtedly changed the rules of the game and I’m surprised the staff put up with that kind of behaviour.

Then again, the people watching may have left as they didn’t want to see a fight start, and I’m always wary of the “come outside for a quiet word” tactic.

edlong
    Free Member

my mate is a lot bigger than me and “assisted” them outside to discuss their behaviour

I know there are different translations, but which version of the Bible has the Samaritan preempting the violent robbery by wading in with fists first?

What I’m reading is some people being loud and obnoxious in a pub and then you and your mate escalating the situation to actual physical violence while the landlady did nowt to stop it.

No one comes out of this one showered in glory imho.

Marin
    Free Member

Pub busy with families sounds like a rubbish pub anyway.

w00dster

“Pub busy with families sounds like a rubbish pub anyway.” And violent customers. One to avoid!

nedrapier

I have no idea what exactly the OP did, but stepping in to try and deal with unwelcome, antisocial behaviour while other people did nothing/crossed to the other side of the pub is a good thing, isn’t it?

It could be the OP was an utter **** in the way he went about it, we don’t know.  But I think that’s where he was coming from with the good samaritan reference

DezB
    Free Member

I think I’d be more like-  “Oi, prick! Are you going to shut up, or keep shouting and swearing like that?”

“Effin’ Shouting innit!”

“Ok, big friend, let’s go somewhere else.”

the end

njee20
    Free Member

I have no idea what exactly the OP did, but stepping in to try and deal with unwelcome, antisocial behaviour while other people did nothing/crossed to the other side of the pub is a good thing, isn’t it?

It was unwelcome to him, and he’s appraised that everyone else was so offended by it that they left. Of course it’s entirely possible that whilst the sweary drunkards were annoying, people were more put off by the OP and his friend “assisting” them, as that then just looks like a fight is about to break out, and that’s far less pleasant than some sweary drunk people, and that caused them to leave.

I’m with Yunki here, I’m not seeing the OP doing anything that constitutes being a good samaritan whatsoever, and can’t quite fathom a situation where I think meting out vigilante justice was something deserving of praise.

edlong
    Free Member

stepping in to try and deal with unwelcome, antisocial behaviour while other people did nothing/crossed to the other side of the pub is a good thing, isn’t it?

It might be depending on what “dealing with it” involves – competently using de-escalation techniques to calm a heated situation would probably be welcomed by all. Physically tackling an already loud and drunk punter and dragging? bundling? whatever “assisting” them outside entailed, doesn’t sound like it was ever likely to be the route to resolving the situation peacefully, if anything more likely to escalate from swearing and shouting to a full on brawl.

IME (including working in the only pub in Bow that would allow travellers through the door, which did involve dealing with one or two ‘interesting’ situations) getting hands-on with people who are already drunk and lairy is more often going to be akin to trying to extinguish a fire by pouring petrol on it.

DezB
    Free Member

Finally a platform to bring back the word **** amongst our anecdotes, its not a swearword or offensive so I’m told above so its fine.

Ooh, well done you on exercising your right to be offended. 😆 Did you not notice binners was quoting? It’s very different from using the words in a racist or homophobic way, which is when they actually are offensive.

Drac

Are children allowed in pub’s nowadays?

Women too the 50’s are over grandad.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Should have just leathered them, sold their coke to the other punters and finished off by knobbing the landlady.

Job done

nickhit3
    Free Member

Ooh, well done you on exercising your right to be offended. 😆 Did you not notice binners was <em class=”bbcode-em”>quoting? It’s very different from using the words in a racist or homophobic way, which is when they actually are offensive.

Thanks for the English lesson there chief, really enlightening. Please tell me why is it an issue for you that I was offended, and feel I shouldn’t have to read that term? I’m all ears.

DezB
    Free Member

Look, if you don’t leave politely, sir, I’ll have cyclingwilly’s mate remove you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Being a good Samaritan is pointless.’ is closed to new replies.