Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Being a big fat porker into a headwind. betterer or worser?
  • binners

I’m going to have one hell of a headwind home tonight. Its going to be a killer. Now I’m a fairly substantial unit, and also not very bright.

So….I was wondering about the physics of riding into headwinds. Is being a bloater an advantage or a curse?

I reckon my rotund portlyness, in a weight sense, is an advantage. As I’m more difficult to be shifted by the wind. Or by one of those massive mobile cranes, for that matter

Or… will my more-than-ample, grotesquely-proportioned silhouette act as more of a sail. If you could make sails out of pies. I’m quite steamlined, as I’m generally round. And bald.

Or do the 2 things balance themselves out? What do you reckon? I’m confused

wors

Stop at every pub on the way home, this will get you home quicker. 😆

jimification
    Free Member

Wind tunnel: Fat guy in lycra vs skinny guy in baggies…

alfabus
    Free Member

big fat porkers are great in a headwind – as long as they are not you, and you can draft them.

ads678

Being a sizable fellow myself. I think it’s worse. big fellas make great wind breaks!

asterix
    Free Member

worserer

chojin
    Free Member

It depends if you’re travelling on a conveyor belt.

ononeorange

From experience I’d say worse. I seem to suffer far more in headwinds than my normal-sized fellows.

binners

I’m loving your work there wors! Can’t fault your logic! 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

The answer is to sit in the pub waiting till an evener larger cyclist goes past, then follow them home 😉

Edit: not to their house, that would be weird

D0NK

Alfabus beat me to it

mangatank
    Free Member

If you bear a resemblance to one of the vehicles here:

Aerodynamics

Then you might be on to something…

paulhaycraft

Frontal area is a directly proportional part of the aero drag equation so definitely worserer.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

alfabus – Member
    big fat porkers are great in a headwind – as long as they are not you, and you can draft them.

This
    😆

crikey
    Free Member

There is an ickle breeze binners, rather than a Force 10!

molgrips
    Free Member

Worse, cos you have a larger frontal area.

It does take more force to knock you off-line, yes, but when pedalling forward you still have to overcome wind resistance regardless of how hevy you are. And because you’re wider, you’ll have more resistance.

I did 2 road rides in the US this summer – one with a bloke about 5’7 and 60kg, the other with a bloke about 6’6 and 120kg. The difference when riding behind them was remarkable.

hatter

As a fellow larger gentleman I generally find that when riding home into a headwind my speed is affected less by the wind itself than by the presence and quality of the dinner that awaits on my arrival.

I’m also very popular on group rides as I apparently leave a hole in the air you could drive a transit though.

charliemort

I did a 3 up TT with 2 squirts last year. I’m about 15 stone, 47 inch chest

they only pedalled their bits at the front whereas I got next to no help drafting them

I’m also popular to swim behind

aracer
    Free Member

Everybody seems to have missed the important bit of his post

Now I’m a fairly substantial unit, and also not very bright.

I reckon the latter is going to help a lot more than the former 😉

avdave2

55kg here, not sure about headwinds but I’m stuffed when its from the side. I just end up wherever it’s blowing towards.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What you need is some sort of bulbous prow to help make progress.

fisha
    Free Member

As above. All I can suggest is to the little things to reduce the effect. On grinding headwinds, I tend to do hold the bars around the stem, bring the elbows in, and head down … kind of like a time trial tuck position … but on the cheap! Full tuck position definitely makes a difference, but its hard to hold for a long time.

crikey
    Free Member

You are familiar with the stick-carrot-donkey method of increasing power output?

Get a childs fishing net, a pie from Hollands and away you jolly well go.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Being a big fat porker into a headwind. betterer or worser?’ is closed to new replies.