Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Beginners guide to walking the West Highland Way
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

The wife and I would like to walk the West Highland Way in late May – but as neither of us are walkers we don’t have any gear at all.

Fitness wise we should be fine to do it in a few days, but what realistically do we need gear wise?

We’re aiming to do the holiday on the cheap, so bare essentials will be rounded up from Decathlon.

And any top tips from experienced walkers?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s been a few years since I walked it with friends, in May, from Glasgow to FW. We did it with big camping packs, but there was a company doing bag shuttles too. You can do it lighter if you book B&B/Hotels. It’s a great scenic walk, especially from Crianlarich onward. Footwear needs to be well worn-in and reliable on a variety of surfaces. I still don’t think you can beat lightish leather walking boots. Weather can be highly variable from winter-summer so you need a bit of everything from good waterproofs to sunscreen. Individually, each day’s walk is relatively easy, but the efforts add up. The most important thing is to prepare yourself. I hope you get good weather and have fun!

oldbloke
    Free Member

WHW site

If you go to the WHW website, there’s plenty in the planning section on what to take. You may get away with less. Late May should be before the worst of the midgies.

Biggest issue will always be what’s on your feet. Whatever you choose, buy it now and wear it in. Long distance walking is no place for new shoes. There’s nothing technical on it, so decent lightweight boots will do.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If you want to enjoy it, I’d allow 5-6 days. You can skimp on most kit, but i’d advise not doing that on boots and rucksacks. there is no “best” boot, there is the one that fits you best. i’d keep and eye on go outdoors rather than decathlon. i did it a loooong long time ago and stocking up en route was doable but you had to plan, might be a bit easier now.
    Planning guide here

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

especially from Crianlarich onward

oh yes, but going through the trees at loch lomond was a pain – i hitched a lift on a boat that dropped me up at the top of the loch. Crianlarich on – magic.

heuer27
    Free Member

If you have not done any long distance walking , then the WHW will come as a shock.
    Buy the best fitting footwear you can regardless of price. General approach shoes should be fine. Or some trail running shoes. Use two pairs of socks cool max liners with smart wool outer socks to wick away moisture and minimise blisters.
    A pair of flip flops/ sandals for the evening are a godsend the feel of cool air over your feet after a long day is divine.

Remember if you are talking about doing it in a few days that is over thirty miles a day. Five to seven days is the norm.

Use the carry forward service. It’s about 30 per bag for the trip and you nominate a new stop point at the start of every day. This leaves you to just take a day sack.

If the weather is dry and there is little wind then midges will be out in force. Buy SMiDGE it’s fairly new and it works.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve done the WHW a few times (twice wasn’t really the traditional WHW though, we were doing 20+ miles per day to take in hills/climbs).

The best advice I could offer is not to carry a pack if you aren’t already used to consecutive, long days carrying a pack over uneven terrain. You will most likely get FAR more enjoyment out of the week by using the carrying service. This is even more advisable when you have budget kit, since it tend to weigh more.

I have done it once with a big pack and by day 4 I was pretty fed up of it (i do lots of 2 day trips with full packs, but my bodily definitely needed a rest at around the 60 mile mark).

Do it over 6/7 days, it will be more enjoyable. not least because you won’t have to bust out 20+ miles days every day, but because most people do it over this length of time, which means you are with the same people in the pub at the end of each stage. This is the main benefit of the WHW – the pubs! The walking is pretty straightforward, but when you add in a raging hangover each morning it is more of a challenge 🙂

Take some ibruprofen if you are not used to long days in your boots, even though it is no a taxing walk physically, things do start to ache if you are not used to walking for 7 days straight.

If you are planning on camping, consider booking a wigwam for one night mid trip. This means if it has been raining non stop you will have a great chance to dry all your kit and get a proper night sleep for the 2nd half.

Email me if you want any more specific stuff, happy to help

It’s great fun though, make sure you pay special attention to the social aspect of it!

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve never walked the WHW but I’ve done a self-supported five day walk in Canada and skied the Haute Route, not to mention several others like two weeks walking acoss Knoydart.

Your biggest issues are going to be blisters then mental strength, in that order. You will find the walk daunting and mentally tough and if you get blisters you may well find yourselves beaten, so the advice to buy shoes now and wear them in is good advice. Wear leather boots in by getting them good and damp and walking in them. Prepare yourselves mentally for the culture shock of being outdoors in potentially unpleasant weather, away from all the little luxuries we take for granted.

If you are unaccustomed to long walks, carry some concentrated energy foods based on maltodextrin, these can range from Complan or Build-Up style convalescent soup or drink sachets to Cup-a-Soup to energy bars or gel sachets that you can get from cycling shops. Even jelly babies will help. If you are going supported, carry at least a lightweight brew kit, which can make all the difference when you stop for lunch. You should be able to drink all the water in the burns so no need to carry tap water. You could also get recovery drink sachets, which contain maltodextrin and whey protein and are pretty good to drink after a long tiring day out. The Goodness Shakes stuff is really nice.

Foot care is vital; a good wash every evening, allow to dry, clean socks and carry lots of Micropore tape for sore spots. Attend to any blisters or sore spots immediately; don’t soldier on.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Do not pitch your tent on the moors behind the Kings House Hotel, go to the bar without a torch and get blathered prior to wandering about in the pitch black looking for aforementioned tent.

scotroutes

I’ve done it a couple of times and the Mrs did it last year. She had just come back from Everest Base Camp and reckoned the WHW was tougher.

You can make it easier on yourself in a number of ways;

(a) Get someone to carry all your gear from point to point. You’re left with a small sack for snacks and spare clothing only.

(b) Take your time. No need to rush it in 5 days if you can afford to take 8. The latter stages (assuming you head north) are limited for accommodation so you’ll need a couple of short or very long days.

(c) Get some practice in. Any walking you can do between now and then will be to your benefit.

(d) Take Smidge with you. Midges are abundant, especially in any forested sections. They can completely spoil your enjoyment.

(e) Get the Footprint guide. This is a wee fold-up map showing all the facilities en route with mileage.

(f) Consider a booking service. Logistics can be out-sourced to someone like Walkers Ways They’ll book everything for you, supply maps and guides and arrange the luggage service, leaving you to enjoy the walking.

(g) Get some comfy “Approach Shoes” and a couple of pairs of nice, thick socks. Boots are over-kill.

I’m happy to answer any specific queries you might have if you want to contact me by email (in my profile).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Beginners guide to walking the West Highland Way’ is closed to new replies.