Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • beginner to medium trails/routes starting from glossop, anyone?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

my mate lives in glossop and is not much of a biker. we’re off up there in a couple of weeks, and he’s said i should take the bikes up as he’s up for a bit of a ride. anyone got any routes starting from there of a medium length and not too tough. sort of a moderate 3-4 hours sort of effort?

i’d be up for the cut gate route, but think that might be stretching his interest a bit!

TIA… 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Your best bet is simply to ride up Chunal, the road hill towards Hayfield, then pick up some of the bridleways above Hayfield from there. There’s some decent poaching stuff over above Hollingworth and Tintwistle, though not ideal for weekends, but Doctor’s Gate is a bit of a push rather than a rideable climb.

Loads of stuff on the Hayfield side though, eg, up the hill on the road – about 20 minutes – then over Middle Moor into Hayfield via the cobbled bridleway near the reservoir, up over the Jacob’s Ladder track past Edale Cross to Edale, onto Rushup Edge via Hollin Cross, down Rushup, Roych track back to Hayfield then back to Glossop via Lantern Pike and the Monk’s Road.

Lots more besides, have a look at the Vertebrate Graphics Dark Peak guide for more. You can always pick up a copy from High Peak Cycles once you’re up here.

I’d offer to show you around, but I think I’m away that week.

BadlyWiredDog

And if you want something more beginner-ish, stick around Hayfield side and off Jacob’s and the Roych. Easy trails heading over towards Mellor and Marple for example.

mt
    Free Member

Have a look at the tracks and cycleway up the Longdendale Valley then over the old snow road, salterbrook then down to Yateholme above Holmfirth, loads of intro stuff in area.

nbt

Longdendale trail (disused railway) if he’s a complete novice, or head up the pennine bridelway towards Mossley and loop back down the canal via a few pubs?

lollipop
    Free Member

There’s a map for a route to Mossley/Greenfield and back via the Pennine Bridleway for download from here. 16 miles, so reasonable, with the opportunity for a pub stop before heading back. And the Bull’s Head in Tintwistle is a great place to eat when you get back.

theflatboy
    Free Member

those are all excellent responses – cheers! i will go over them when i have more time. thanks chaps. 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Up from Charlesworth, Coombs/Cowm Edge, Lantern Pike, Chinley back via Rowarth?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘beginner to medium trails/routes starting from glossop, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.