Beginner guitar advice please

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Beginner guitar advice please
  • Premier Icon riklegge
    Subscriber

My son is taking rock guitar lessons, he’s been doing it for a year or so and is now finding his current 3/4 size squier strat is a bit small.

I’d like to get a full sized electric guitar, budget is up to about £100 (unless spending a little bit more gets something significantly better). Doesn’t need to be new, but if second hand then I would probably also need advice on what to check.

So, any recommendations?

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

There is an ongoing thread on guitars but, Andertons do their own range of strat style (EastCoast) for 100 or the bullet squier is about the same price. Andertons do a basic set up before shipping and are a reputable dealer.

but if you hunt on FB marketplace etc for a squier strat or an Epiphone then should be ok with those, as long as the pots feel ok and there’s no big scars or damage. consider a setup from a local repair shop.

good luck 🙂

Premier Icon chipps
    Subscriber

I found a Squier Affinity Strat in a local shop for £109 or something silly to play around with pickups and things. Great guitar.

Drop me a line if you want, Rik, I might be able to put it back to stock in time for Christmas… 😉

mariner

Definitely check out the local Guitar shops used guitars section but also check out how and where the instruments are set up and repaired. If it is part of the deal and onsite by their own people feel more confident about them. Mail order is fine for undercutting prices but you will still need to have it set up and some decent strings. Setting up a guitar is well worth the money and if it is part of the deal you might get a better value instrument.

Once you get a good base model you also have something worth upgrading in future. Lots of legendary guitars start out as regular models and get customised and upgraded over time..

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

I got my lad a Washburn Win14 (?) second hand from Rimmers in Bury for £50, including a warranty. We just went in to see what part-ex kit they had.

I have a Washburn WIN14, great guitar for the new price of £150, even better for £50.

You could also look at the Harley Benton range from Thomann.de – they’re getting great reviews in the budget price bracket. Strat, 335, Tele, Les Paul, SG, PRS, ESP & Ibanez body styles so plenty of choice

136stu

Yamaha Pacifica (S/H at your budget) was always a highly regarded entry level guitar.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

You could get a 2nd hand fender strat, mexican for about 250. which, will probably won’t lose much if anything in value over the years.

Plus the wee yin is likely to be a happy chappy with that!

Premier Icon riklegge
    Subscriber

Thanks all for the information so far. @chipps thanks, I’ll message you back shortly…

AdamT

Ask your son’s guitar teacher for any 2nd hand instruments that they know of. It’s possible that other students might have instruments to pass on. I’d really recommend 2nd hand if you can get advice on avoiding duds. You can get a lot of guitar for little money this way.

wolfrider

Have a look around local cash generators and pawn shops they usually have some lightly used bargins, my first guitar was an gio ibanez from cash generators for 60 pound and to be fair it had a nice action and neck and was great to get started.

Premier Icon tall_martin
    Subscriber

I bought a squire affinity with amp for a present for £100 from someone on basschat.co.uk. Basschat is more or less singletrack for bass guitars, with a bit of guitar chat thrown in.

I bought myself one of these from Thomas for ~£100 as it was b stock. It came with a slight scratch.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cst_24t_emerald_flame.htm?o=1&search=1575660597

Premier Icon riklegge
    Subscriber

Thanks all, some great advice as usual. I had asked his teacher about this, but I think he’s either forgotten or it’s low on his priority list!

In any case Chipps has (metaphorically for the moment) delivered the goods so looks like I’m sorted for Christmas.

Premier Icon supercarp
    Subscriber

Second the Yamaha Pacifica 112 very good guitar. For example this is on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133262462617

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.