Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Before I fit a new BB, anything I've missed?
  • fin25
    Free Member

Evenin’ all…

Been getting a horrible clicking and creaking coming from my cranks on my road bike (Genesis Volare 631). First just the left pedal, can now feel it in both. I have tried it with different (unused) pedals, cleaned and greased all the usual contact points (including seat and seat tube). I have removed and re-fitted the crank arms, inspected the frame for cracks and checked the clearance around the cranks (bottle cages, pump and front mech all fine).
    It has a full Tiagra groupset with a hollowtech II Bottom Bracket with about 600 miles on it, only about 50 of which in the wet. I have been guilty of using a little WD40 and Muc-off to clean the chainrings (no jewtwashing though), but am always careful not to get any around the BB.

Simple question…Anything else it might be before I replace the BB?

jekkyl

there seems to be a run of these at the mo,

take the chain off and try to get it to creak! if no creak then pretty safe to say it aint, the bb, the cranks or the pedals.

grease all round the mech hanger
    grease the rear axle and then when you put it back tighten it up good and proper.
    make sure all spokes are tight on rear wheel.
    make sure all bolts tight on front mech.

I’ve had the exact same problem with my bike recently, convinced the noise was coming from the bb area, replaced that and pedals at cost but to no avail. Searched for and read every thread on the web about bike creaks, did the above just last night and creak is gone.

bigyinn
    Free Member

jekkyl, did you just C&P your post from the other BB thread?!

fin25
    Free Member

Thanks jekkyl, will try that in the morning, nothing worse than replacing parts for no reason…

richardthird

Check cups are done up tight in situ.

Not a Fizik Alliante saddle is it? These click at the nose; suspend bike overnight nose pointing down, drip some light oil on to saddle rails so it runs down into nose, and nip up the nose retaining bolt too. Can easily be ruled out by standing up though!

jekkyl

Yeah pretty much, he might have missed it. 🙂
    There’s nothing worse than a creak/crick on your bike, it really puts you off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Before I fit a new BB, anything I've missed?’ is closed to new replies.