Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bees
  • richmars

We had three huge bees in our kitchen yesterday, before any windows had been opened, so I don’t think they came in from outside. These were big, I mean, really big.
    I guess I need to look for a nest somewhere in the kitchen? Or do bees hibernate individually over winter?
    Thanks,

gears_suck
    Free Member

When you say really big. What’s your base for comparison? Because a really big bee, in my mind, would be about the size of a VW bug.

soops
    Free Member

I saw a huge bee yesterday out side my local pub. It was a whopper!

lemonysam
    Free Member

When you say really big. What’s your base for comparison? Because a really big bee, in my mind, would be about the size of a VW bug.

wwaswas

One for the hive mind? 😉

Some types of bees are solitary and will hibernate.

We’ve had a couple of zeppelin sized ones droning around the garden and house in the past few days so I guess the lengthening days are waking them up.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bumble bees as opposed to the honey/hive type?
    Saw a few ourselves yesterday in the garden.

These will help you,

Bumbles

racefaceec90

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU[/video] 🙂

footflaps

Or do bees hibernate individually over winter?

Mason bees do.

I have a nest box for them, in the garden:

richmars

Not honey bee, Zeppelin is a good word (thanks wwaswas).

wordnumb
    Free Member

Different bees behave differently. Most likely, having just woken up, they’re bimbling around snacking out before buzzing off. It takes a little while for them to come out of hibernation and fuel up, which often prompts people to think that they are in direct contravention of the man vs nature health & safety agreement, and so deserve to die.

You don’t need to look for a nest. You don’t need to kill them.

binners

Our front garden was full of the big buggers, bumbling around this weekend too. Lots of butterflies as well. Spring does appear to have sprung. BOING!

richmars

You don’t need to look for a nest. You don’t need to kill them.

We haven’t killed any. Luckily we can close the internal doors, open the back door and gently guide them out.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Quality move, well technique.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Bees are good. Bees are good…

richmars

Latest update is that there were no more bees since yesterday morning, so maybe panic over.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Lots bumbling around here too yesterday. Must have been the bee equivalent of flying ant day?

ononeorange

This time of year’s great! We’ve had the start of the bee rush as well, just wait until the lavender gets going. And as I was getting up this morning I was struck by the sheer noise of the birds, about half an hour before dawn. Stunning.

CountZero

Had two wasps in the house yesterday, one buzzing around the kitchen, trying to find a way out, and the other one crawling along the back of a chair in my living room while I was looking for some old CD’s behind it.
    Both were carefully ushered outside.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bees’ is closed to new replies.