Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bees nesting in my compost
  • tyger
    Free Member

Well, got the usual Council green (dalek) plastic compost bin in my back garden mainly for my grass cuttings. Took the lid off yesterday to be met by a load of angry bumble bees. Seems like they’ve made it their home now!

Any advice and what to do about my grass cuttings?

intode_void
    Free Member

Put them in next doors bin, or put it down your trousers and release it slowly on your walk to work or better still just buy some sheep. HTH 😀

llama

phone the council it is their bin

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    turboferret

Depends on how keen you are to have bees in your garden.

1 option would be getting a hive for them to live in, although the exact process of coaxing them out of your compost and into said hive could be interesting. You can buy hives for about £30 from eBay.

If you don’t want to keep them, then the council will probably be able to remove them for you.

Cheers, Rich

tyger
    Free Member

I’m happy to keep them as they’re great for the garden but how long will they stay there? I quite like the idea of a hive though 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m sure a local bee keeper would be more than willing to take them off your hands. If you want to keep them then join a local group as you’ll want to learn what to do properly I think.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

bumblebees are great! if it was me id just get a new compost bin and let the bees have the old one.
    for this you will receive 10 nature karma points, which are redeemable at any UK trail for smiles and adrenaline

glenh
    Free Member

mmmmmmmm……bees

scu98rkr
    Free Member

We’ve got a bumble bee nest in our compost bin too. Been there 2 years I think. Not sure what I’m meant to do when I want to remove the compost though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bees nesting in my compost

As good a euphemism as I’ve heard in a while!.

tyger
    Free Member

LOL!

SD-253
    Free Member

Lucky you! I put a mix of chainsaw chipping and the pulp from my cider production in my composite bins. Should have made a top composite. As I obviouslly did it in the autumn when rats are beginning to get short of food….well needless to say still have the chainsaw chippings but no apple pulp

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bees nesting in my compost’ is closed to new replies.