Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Bee's In My Soffit What Am I Going To Do?
  • singlespeedstu

Just seen that a round soffit vent has fallen out and there’s a steady stream of bees going in and out the hole.
    What’s the best plan?
    If i just leave them bee will they do any damage?

momo

checking in as i have a similar problem and MrsMomo is convinced that they will get in to the loft and eat the house, or something

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sing them a song

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-vxAFcQIU[/video]

Cougar

Make honey.

fasthaggis

Whatever you do,Bee careful

Cougar

Someone asked a similar question the other day. IIRC the conclusion was that a bee-keeper will happily take away honey bees and can relocate non-honey bee nests. I think.

andysredmini
    Free Member

You’re gonna fix those bees that’s what you’re gonna do

rkk01
    Free Member

My father used to collect swarms and re-home them…

Local council probably the best bet – I know that local bee-keepers used to register with some councils

momo

I spoke to a bee keeper on thursday last week, wouldn’t touch them as they’re not honey bees, would only intervene if they posed a threat to someone or were inside the house (not just loft)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I started a very similar thread last summer.

Ours turned out to be tree bees, a fairly social kind of bumblebee. We left well alone. Come mid July, they’d all disappeared. They were a lot more welcome than the wasps who moved in the year before.

If its honey bees, phone a beekeeper (however if the swarm is properly moved in, there isn’t a lot they can do). With other bees, I can’t imagine they’d be a problem, they’re not aggressive/annoying like wasps.

The main danger with live honey bees is the comb can drip and get everywhere. And when they move out/die/get poisoned/etc, lots of other creepy crawlies start getting very interested in the remaining honeycomb.

footflaps

Just leave them bee

dannyh
    Free Member

From the grammar of the thread title, I wouldn’t worry. One bee isn’t going to cause a problem.

singlespeedstu

Thanks danny.
    Most helpful.
    Just spoken to a swarm collector who said not to bee worried about them as they’d not bee able to cause any damage and they’d bee on their way soon enough.
    I was kind of hoping there might bee a few more puns and song references. 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Thanks danny.
    Most helpful.

No problem. Maybe it’s a spelling bee(?)

andysredmini
    Free Member

It doesn’t appear many got the song reference.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It doesn’t appear many got the song reference.

U Bee 40?

dannyh
    Free Member

Something by Sting, perhaps. Mind you, even if it was the best pun in the world, I don’t think I could bring myself to link to anything by the second most egotistical man in pop.

BigJohn

Have you checked the other side of the house (the A Side)?

footflaps

Something by Sting, perhaps

Bee Bee, let them Bee
    if you love somebody, let them Bee….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

We have some that have moved into a bird box. We’re leaving them there; it’s nice to have them to be honest.

madxela
    Free Member

So that’s how you teach kids about the Birds and the Bees 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

said not to bee worried about them as they’d not bee able to cause any damage

No damage but the stripey arsed feckers will steal the nectar from your flowers, if you let them be.

Marin
    Free Member

They could be masonary bees which like to live in walls in which case they very rarely return to the same place to set up home. It could be a swarm that’s looking for a new home, the bees will swarm, find a stop gap home for a few days and then move on to somewhere more suitable. If they are honey bees and have decided to set up house in yours wild colonies unfortionately rarely survive a winter by themselves so no worries there. You could ask another local beekeeper but going up a ladder to the roof to collect a swarm is not a very appealing idea even if you know what you are doing. Let them do their thing and it will sort itself out. Bees really are suffering at the moment from pesticides and invasive pests. They are fascinating and beautiful little beasts and mine produce great honey!

singlespeedstu

They’re tree bees apparently.
    I’ve seen them in the garden for a few years running but they’ve never stopped before.

going up a ladder to the roof to collect a swarm is not a very appealing idea even if you know what you are doing.

I went up the ladder and had a poke around in the vent hole before i realised they were in there. 😯

mick_r

We had bumble bees last summer and they are back again this year. Student at work keeps bees back home and not interested in moving them…. They’ll be gone in a few months and don’t do damage.

Ours are crawling up the wall behind soffit and doing a fair hike to end up under loft insulation. Buzzing away on top of ceiling plasterboard directly above our bed – Alison’s side luckily :-). They got noisy enough to consider extermination last week but now gone a bit quieter. Once gone will be plugging up any gaps and getting rid of nest remains.

Marin
    Free Member

haha look before you poke. Not heard of tree bees before. Seen regular honey bees nesting in trees. Have to ask my bee guru next week.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They’re tree bees apparently.

Leave em alone… But, report them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27701591

mike_p
    Free Member

They could be masonary bees which like to live in walls in which case they very rarely return to the same place to set up home. It could be a swarm that’s looking for a new home, the bees will swarm, find a stop gap home for a few days and then move on to somewhere more suitable.

Now that is interesting, we had this a few weeks ago, swarming under the soffit, but no sign of them now. Learned something! We had wasps last year on the other side of the house, they got the poison gas treatment. But I’d have left the bees to themselves. Bees are cool, m’kay?

Xylene
    Free Member

When we moved into our new house, first evening I popped out to do some shopping to receive a call from Mrs Q that we were under attack from a swarm of angry bees who had been attracted by the light.

Got back to find 1000s of bees all over the house and garden. After battling with them and the spray, turning the lights out, we all left the house for the night and called the bee people from work.

What I had thought was an old bee hive hanging from the tree, was in fact a 1m+ long bee nest, a good 20cm thick at it’s base, covered in bees, from the ground it looked like it was just dark brown and dead, turns out the dark brown was covered in little curious bees.

Bee guys burnt the nest. Couldn’t really leave it there with the swarm going mad whenever the lights were on, and it was too high up to cut down.

Looked like this photo

Marin
    Free Member

Wasps get angry as they feed off their young who produce a sugary type substance but stop doing this as they mature. So mum and dad wasps are like crack heads with the supply cut off hence annoying you in the pub beer garden later in summer,especially if you have a sugary alcohol style drink. Bees on the other hand are well cool and do everything for the greater good. You’ve started me off now, pity poor Geoff tonight on our two pint Tuesday meet up.

jonnyrockymountain

what would you rather bee or a wasp!!!!!!!!!!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do?
    When they come for you?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Bee's In My Soffit What Am I Going To Do?’ is closed to new replies.