• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Del.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Beer, I need lots of beer…
  • aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

afternoon all, I’m arranging a stag do for the weekend after this one, we’re staying in a camping barn near Rhayader and I thought it would be good to get a keg of beer, rather than loads of tins.
    What’s the best way to go about this then? don’t really want something that needs to settle for 24 hours etc, as we’ll be cracking into it fairly swiftly…
    Cheers
    Ad

andyl
    Free Member

you can get mini kegs that hold about 9 pints that should be okay. Butcombe do them for about £23 delivered but tbh you can get bottle deals that are better value e.g. but might be cheaper to pick kegs up up to save on postage. No idea about the bigger (eg poly) kegs with regards to your concerns though.

Or find a brewery local to you and pop in and see what they have.

Bit spoilt down here with Butcombe and Thatchers a couple of minutes away and Bath Ales up by a company I work at 😀

jamiea
    Free Member

A lot of breweries will sell pins (small casks, around 36 pints) in ‘bright condition’, that is it’s been fined and all the yeast has been removed. Ring round a few local breweries and see what they say. You’ll also need a tap and a big hammer.

Edit- expect to pay around £80 plus any deposit for the cask.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Sandwich

Adnams do small “party 8” (age alert) size kegs of most of their beers. Usually they have an offer on them when bought as pairs.

_tom_
    Free Member

Our local brewery, Potbelly, do kegs that hold about 35 pints I think. They never mentioned anything about letting them settle last time we got one.

geologist
    Free Member

Stop off en route at Ludlow, call in the Ludlow brewing company, they do all their beers in a mixture of ready to drunk barrels. Mmm I recommend the gold and the stairway. I get a 35 pint box of each when we have mates BBQ ‘s
    Ride the bringewood dh area when there too , only about 3 miles from the brewing company.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

nice one, thanks for the suggestions. bit of calling round needed then…

allthepies
    Free Member

Get the bag-in-a-box ploy-pins of bright beer. Any decent brewery should sell ’em.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t leave the empty barrel in the back of your car parked outside a magistrates’ court on Monday morning, like my late solicitor friend did. Worse still, he was so flustered at arriving late that he succeeded in leaving the keys in the ignition and locking the car with the engine still running! (This was before clever cars.) Suffice to say that once the court had re-convened after their twenty minutes in the car park, the mood of the day was so lightened and the magistrate so sympathetic to his embarrassment that he got his client off with a small fine!

singletrackmind

Yep , If you can organise it, get in a selection of mini – pins . These are 18 pint wine boxes of beer, with a thick polyprop bag inside. No tap or mallet needed as they are built in.
    All breweries will sell them. If you can go to a couple of breweries and get a nice ABV spread , not all falling over juice.
    No need to settle as racked bright , and small enough to move outside overnight ( if its hot weather ) so they cool down to ambient temps.

Del

as a guide i picked up a 72 pint keg, bright, for just under 90 quid a few weeks ago from a local brewery. paid 30 quid deposit on the stand and the tap. ready to go as soon as it’s setup and tapped and you can drink the lot.
    have fun.
    😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Beer, I need lots of beer…’ is closed to new replies.