Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Beer book
  • NZCol

I know there are some serial brewers on here so I’ll ask this. I don’t suppose anyone has a copy of the Graham Wheeler book Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Camra) ? Specifically i am trying to find a copy of the Deuchars IPA clone recipe as a mate is having a wedding and this is his fave ale so i thought i would run him one up – looking only for that recipe sort of 25ltr size i think is what it is in the book. I can’t get the book before I need to get a bulk grain order but have guessed it will be GP or Maris based. Cheers in advance if someone can quickly give me a copy.

john_drummer
    Free Member

For 25l:

3860g pale malt
    250g crystal malt
    125g wheat malt
    90mins mash at 66degC

66g fuggles 90mins
    22g styrian goldings 10mins
    3g Irish moss 10mins

Og 1038
    Fg 1009

NZCol

Thank you sir. Any specific yeast ? Have access to wyeast so was thinking Scottish ale or Lomdon ale 1318 or British ale ii 1335

john_drummer
    Free Member

I normally use Safale s-04 for darker ales, US05 for paler, and Saflager S23 for lagers. But I guess it’s up to your choice, GW doesn’t specify the yeast

john_drummer
    Free Member

having said that, I haven’t had a successful lager yet, from 2 attempts from grain. had to pour 4 & a bit gallons of Stella vinegar down the drain this evening 🙁

Kit lagers always taste of kit beer.

but my ales, pale or dark, have all turned out fine. Old Speckled Hen, Old Peculier, Hobgoblin, a couple of cascade-based blondes, Theakston’s Best Bitter and a Citra blonde have all turned out fine. but can I do a lager? can I buggery!

Haze

Deuchars will have their own specific strain so doubt you’d be able to recreate it.

I’d probably go for White Labs WLP 002 for no other reason than it’s always worked well for me, possibly 007 if he might like it a little drier.

I’m sure it’ll be fine whatever you go for…

NZCol

Yeah they have their own strain, i see the head brewer offered to send someone some in slurry form which is a nice touch ! I’ll crack on with the British Ale II i think as this is a known one to me and i have a starter for it. Slainte !

NZCol

John – lager according to my brewer friend is a b1tch to do properly due to the very low temps which unless you have a decent kegerator or similar can be hard to hold. He also said that it oftens smells off or bad but actually isn’t and needs a good diacetyl rest and then bottling at a very low temp (2-4 degrees). However saying all that i haven’t done one yet. I do however have a rather snazzy Kegerator inc 2 x 19ltr Corny kegs and a C02 system with double taps on the door – total cost – $200 !

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yeah, I know. I don’t have means to keep temperature low so I don’t think I”ll be trying lager again
    I’m going to try a San Miguel inspired “blonde ale” – Maris otter instead of lager malt, US05 instead of lager yeast, but otherwise the same grain and hop bill as for a Genuine San Miguel lager clone. Should be an interesting experiment.

BTW are you familiar with http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.UK ?

NZCol

Yeah and i use this site a lot http://www.brewersfriend.com/ it’s worth an account if you brew a lot as the timer etc all work now in the background so you can iPad it no your brew day and get all the alarms set straight off your recipe. Calcs everythign for you. Brillaint thing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Beer book’ is closed to new replies.