Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • beer advice
  • andrewni
    Free Member

following on from a thread last week i’m going to give leffe blonde a go tonight. as beer goes i’m a bit of a philistine and my usual friday night consists of 8-10 cans of carlsberg. if i go for the 750ml leffe’s how many would be the equivilant to 8-10 cans. i’m thinking 3 with a 4th on standby??
    also, i vaguely remeber seeing 2 versions of this beer, whats the difference?

TooTall
    Free Member

If you just sit there and cane a pile of cans, why bother changing? You’ll get no more out of it.

Grizla
    Free Member

There are quite a few types of Leffe, and IMO all are good.
    Personal fave is Ruby.

Is it important that you get your 8-10 cans worth?

crikey
    Free Member

Do you have a special drinking vest?

binners

Stick to the lager. Carlsberg though? That’s cooking lager. Upgrade to wifebeater

Once you go onto the ale, its a slippery slope. You’ll be growing a beard, wearing a cardigan and moaning constantly 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had a bottle of Leffe 9 the other day.

Holy awoooooga! That’s a beer and a half!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

As a recent convert, I’ve found that I drink Ale alot slower than larger. I’ll go through only 2-3 500ml bottle of ale in an evening, but can easily go through double the amount of largers (Becks, Carling etc…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

many varieties, the blond is 6.6 so take it easy 3 should be safe, also you will notice a difference in the morning, prepare to be outside.

Kevevs
    Free Member

5 little leffes I reckon, dunno what that is in big leffes. Personally I’d go for the 4 for a fiver Old peculiar at ASDA (goes shopping…)

BoardinBob

if i go for the 750ml leffe’s how many would be the equivilant to 8-10 cans.

It’s strong stuff.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get the Leffe Brun, it tastes much better.

For those of you having a go at the lad for having a few cans of lager in a Friday night – get over yourselves.

I suppose some of you think a good idea of a Friday night is to bathe in warm assess milk, whilst sipping on a mungbean tea, listening to Enya?

Kevevs
    Free Member

this (and the big ole bike ride I’m just back from) is making me thirsty. Leffe is lovely stuff.

portlyone

+1 for Brun. Yummy stuff

djglover
    Free Member

4 bottles = 8 cans

rewski
    Free Member

Are you Homer Simpson?

chakaping
    Free Member

When you finish the third 750ml bottle please come back on here and tell us how it’s going.

Should be entertaining.

🙂

binners

andrewni
    Free Member

i wouldn’t call 8 cans a pile, my point was that i’ve not paid much attention to any alternatives to lager and i’m not sure of strengths etc and how they equate. it was lasts weeks thread on the virtues of leffe that got me interested in giving it a go. i didnt want to overdo it on the first attempt hence the comparison to quantities of lager.

on the above advice i reckon im about right with 3, 4 max

16stonepig
    Free Member

Brun is much nicer.
    But by the time you get to your 6th can-equivalent, you won’t care about the taste, and it’s pointless having spent the extra on it.

nickf
    Free Member

You do realise you’re having over half of the maximum weekly alcohol intake in just a few hours, right?

Edit: I undercalled it – by my calculation, a 750ml bottle of Leffe is 6+ units of alcohol. If you have 4, that’s your entire weekly limit used up in one evening. I bet you drink a good bit more during the week as well. Keep doing that for a few years, and say goodbye to your liver.

Your choice, obviously.

highclimber
    Free Member

Once you go onto the ale, its a slippery slope. You’ll be growing a beard, wearing a cardigan and moaning constantly

not to mention the conversion to single speed!

Spin
    Free Member

You do realise you’re having over half of the maximum weekly alcohol intake in just a few hours, right?

Killjoy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edit: I undercalled it – by my calculation, a 750ml bottle of Leffe is 6+ units of alcohol. If you have 4, that’s your entire weekly limit used up in one evening

Whats worse than a Kiljoy is a pedantic one who’s calc are wrong, it’s 5 Units (I had an empty one to check on)

yossarian
    Free Member

Edit: I undercalled it – by my calculation, a 750ml bottle of Leffe is 6+ units of alcohol. If you have 4, that’s your entire weekly limit used up in one evening. I bet you drink a good bit more during the week as well. Keep doing that for a few years, and say goodbye to your liver.
    Your choice, obviously.

BORE

OFF

😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whats worse than a Kiljoy is

someone who doesn’t know how to use an apostrophe.

😉

Haze

1 of each, report back your favourite later…

brakes
    Free Member

my usual friday night consists of 8-10 cans of carlsberg

genuine question… is this just sat on the sofa watching TV, or have you got mates round?

richmtb

I’m going to ignore all the pontificating above and try and answer the OP’s question

Think about it this way, it comes in wine bottles and is just over half the strength of wine. That should give you a good idea of how many to partake

Leffe blonde is good stuff. Prefer German Weissbier myself though Frankensicher is my favourite

nickf
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Ok, so 3 bottles is only 15 units, against a weekly limit of 21, agreed? And the recommendation is no more than 4 units in any one day.

So setting out to have 3/4 of a maximum weekly limit, possibly the entire amount (depends on whether that 4th bottle gets opened) is inherently stupid. It’s the OP’s life, but don’t expect everyone to say that it’s a smart idea.

Look at it another way. A bottle of standard-strength whisky is 28 alcoholic units. Most people wouldn’t dream of drinking over half a bottle of Scotch by themself in an evening, but that’s what three bottles of Leffe equates to.

Killjoy? Wait until a relative is told they’ve got cirrhosis, and that their life will be irreversibly shorter as a result. Not a bundle of laughs, let me assure you.

zippykona

I had a small bottle of the 9% leffe and I was monged out for a whole evening. I am a lightweight though.
    Enjoy your leffe with a nice chorizo salad, dont just neck it ,savour.

brakes
    Free Member

you don’t ‘savour’ leffe… it’s flippin beer, not a BJ

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Nickf off.

MSP

Most people wouldn’t dream of drinking over half a bottle of Scotch by themself in an evening,

Quite right, no point leaving the job half done.

nickf
    Free Member

GG – cheers for the hilarious comment. Still, someone who names himself after a child abuser is obviously a wildly funny guy.

Now go and get completely pie-faced. It’s clearly what real men do. I’m off for some tofu.

MrSmith
    Free Member

So setting out to have 3/4 of a maximum weekly limit, possibly the entire amount (depends on whether that 4th bottle gets opened) is inherently stupid. It’s the OP’s life, but don’t expect everyone to say that it’s a smart idea.

but it’s a sign of manliness and anyone who doesn’t think so is “Gay” and a “lightweight” and perhaps a “jessie”
    it may not be smart but it’s socially acceptable, lets your mates know you are ‘a Man’ and very cool.

Spin
    Free Member

lets your mates know you are ‘a Man’ and very cool.

I find whapping my wang on the table much more effective.

andrewni
    Free Member

Mr smith, the original post was not meant as any kind of boast, I’m a little surprised by the reaction as I don’t think it’s particularly excessive. It may not comply with our “guidelines” but I have never really paid any attention to or equated my intake to these guidelines. I work all week and have a drink on a fri night (don’t get s**tfaced) and don’t consider that irresponsible or detrimental to my health

GlitterGary
    Free Member

nickf- sort out your anger management issues before you come back please, judging other people must get tiring.

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m having some cider and I never drink more than 2x 660ml bottles of beer in a night at the very most.

I also mix my cider / beer with herbal drinks / tea’s + honey.

That shite most people drink is just for peasants, I’m to sophistoceted fo dat 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

i’m not judging you, it’s down to the individual what they imbibe.
    i was merely commenting on societies mores that have been acceptable for centuries.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘beer advice’ is closed to new replies.