Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Beer!
  • Vader
    Free Member

Right, help me out on this would you?

I am currently lining up a few bottles to accompany dinner and am ummming and arghing over whether to go chilled or room temperature. Now I am all for a cold beer – in the right circumstances – but in the main I like the warmer flood of headiness you get at room temperature. Mrs Vader disagrees.

We are talking Bitter & Twisted and Birds & Bees. Not pilsner or lager type beers, which I would always chill (yes I know the Birds & Bees has some lager hops).

So, room temp or chilled?

theotherjonv

what temp is your room?

I’d be aiming for 10-12C maybe, not chilled but not warm either

matt_outandabout

Bitter and Twisted is lovely cold…

I’ve a deep cupboard on and outside wall – it’s below 10*c most of the year. Perfect.

johnners
    Free Member

Yep, I’d say most beer styles other than lagers are best at “cellar temperature”, 12-14c sounds about right. Winter warmer type brews can stand to be a bit warmer but room temperature’s (23c where I’m sitting right now) probably too warm.

bsims
    Free Member

Cellar temp is 12*c so around that, maybe cooler on a hot summers day. Shirley you only drink things you don’t like chilled to hide the taste.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I love real ales ..golden ales are my faves..but wouldn’t dream of drinking them warm ..each to their own though ..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Real ale on draught at cellar temp, optimal approx 13 deg C
    Bottled beers? Whatever you fancy. A lot of the ‘ales’ are somewhat like lager and do better cold. Tonight I’m necking a Shipyard American Pale at whatever temp it reaches after the next 30 mins in the fridge door

CountZero

I love real ales ..golden ales are my faves..but wouldn’t dream of drinking them warm ..each to their own though ..

I’m not sure anyone here is suggesting ales should be drunk warm, just not ice cold like some lagers are, mainly to disguise the fact they have no flavour whatsoever! Cellar temperature is the norm, as above.

Vader
    Free Member

Well I went for ‘room temp’, which in my case is probably around 14c on account of where it is stored. And bloody lovely it was too.

yeah…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well I went for ‘room temp’, which in my case is probably around 14c

Too warm for anything out of glass IMO (& alcoholic drinks from cans)
    There again I’m a heathen & put red wine in the chiller.
    Coz I prefer it like that.

hodgynd
    Free Member

@countzero…then you obviously didn’t read the original post before jumping straight in and replying to mine..
    Unless you are living in Siberia then I would suggest that “room temperature” is equivalent to drinking beer “warm”
    “Warm”..being a word that the OP uses…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Beer!’ is closed to new replies.