Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Beating the sat nav eta!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I swear my sat nav lives in a dream world where we all own Ferraris!

MrNutt
    Free Member

my satnav is pretty much always right (it adjusts the eta continually)

Garmin Navigon on iPhone

seadog101

Nokia Drive on my Lumia is bafflingly accurate. Never more than a few minutes out for any length of journey where there’s no appreciable hold ups. Drove for home to Manchester airport, 3 hours+ of travel time. Arrived exactly when it said I would when leaving the house.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m on about the initial eta. I ageee she sneakily adds minutes as you’re driving. I’ve just driven spiritedly I would say to get from chesterfield to belper in the allotted 26 minutes 😯

Drac

The very rare occasion I use them outside work as think they’re terrible, I find that they all think we drive like Molgrips.

MrOvershoot

Drac – Moderator

The very rare occasion I use them outside work as think they’re terrible, I find that they all think we drive like Molgrips.
    Same here, I’ve even had one say 15 minutes ETA when I’m less than a mile from my destination!
    As an experiment I tried various units on my 1/2 hour drive home and some of the routes must have been sponsored by the petrochemical industry.

bland

Why don’t you adjust it to the average speed you travel at on motorways in the settings and then it will be pretty damn accurate, set it to 40 for motorways and you will clearly win each time

stevomcd
    Free Member

Managed to beat mine by over an hour driving the length of France/Luxembourg/Belgium/Holland to catch a Ferry.

Good job too as I’d have missed it otherwise.

GrahamS

Same here, I’ve even had one say 15 minutes ETA when I’m less than a mile from my destination!

For TomToms that generally means it doesn’t have any map for the last section and is assuming you will be walking. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Ours is usually very good. I hate them though. This generates some great arguments but if we’re going somewhere new, I’ll usually deliberately leave it at home and will rely on my superior man skills to find the place.

The good stuff happens when we’re lost, late and my wife asks why I didn’t bring the satnav.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    my satnav is pretty much always right (it adjusts the eta continually)
    Garmin Navigon on iPhone

That’s the clock you’re looking at. 🙂

singlespeedstu

I take it as a challenge to beat the original ETA.

Makes long drives a bit more fun if you stop a couple of times on the way.

andyl
    Free Member

I don’t think I have ever lost to an original sat nav ETA. Setting the sat nav is like accepting a challenge. Can’t lose to the silly little thing.

ross980
    Free Member

Garmins have very accurate Eta in my experience (for longer journeys). I did a 180 mile trip down the A1, early Saturday morning and not in rush so left the CC set to 65 mph. Added sub 5 min to the eta. On the return journey on Sunday evening (heavier traffic) I was doing around 85-90 whenever possible and only knocked about 10 min off the Eta but was about 15mpg down. Made me wonder if it was worth it

kimbers

Yeah since getting my satnav and eta fixating made me realize how much extra fuel you burn just to knock a few minutes off your journey time

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Waze on the phone is great, constantly tells Israeli geeks and now Google where you are but as a result of all that data. Mixed with a bit of historical data if no one has been your way recently, makes for some pretty accurate estimates and some frankly stunningly good escapes from traffic heavy city centres.
    I thought I know how to escape from Sheffield until it strung together a route whose components I knew, but would never have used that way. Pretty direct and traffic free, and not down every rat run going, I summer they were all busy 🙂

Houns

Sat nav??

You poor excuses for men

*wanders off shaking head*

CountZero

Houns – Member
    Sat nav??

You poor excuses for men

Yeah, well, trying to drive, while looking at an AA Road atlas, or scribbled notes on a post-it, is generally considered to up there with using a mobile phone as far as aiding road awareness is concerned.
    Of course, if you happen to have someone in the other seat who can actually read a map…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tom Tom with IQ routes and the live updates was nearly always to the minute except in really bad traffic where it sent you down the roads with no traffic monitoring.

After that if there is no traffic data anyway it’s can’t update and uses an average speed which falls over if there are other people about.

Houns – Member
    Sat nav??
    You poor excuses for men

I guess you still catch your food with a spear

bokonon
    Free Member

I guess you still catch your food with a spear

Catching all my meat with a spear makes it come alive on the plate.

Actually, no scratch that.

zokes
    Free Member

The only thing that having a sat nav in our car has done for me is double the number of women with no sense of direction or an idea of how to read a map yelling at me.

hot_fiat

My second generation TomTom rider’s stated ETA is easy to beat in the uk, take it abroad however and it becomes much more accurate.

I’ve taken ti using Waze in the car – crowd sourcing the traffic data is very effective and it generally can’t be beaten.

PePPeR

I’ll second hot Fiat, my Tom Toms easy to beat here In the UK but near impossible in my van at any rate once in Europe.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Beating the sat nav eta!’ is closed to new replies.