Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Beating King of Pop, The Eagles have No.1 album of all-time
  • DezB
    Free Member

“best-selling album of all-time in the U.S.”

Never had any taste, have they.

woodster

Greatest Hits are not albums.

And I say that as someone who currently has two Eagles albums on cassette in my car.

funkmasterp

The Dude is correct.

martinhutch

BoardinBob

Isn’t this very old news? I’m sure they’ve had the biggest selling album for some time

DezB
    Free Member

Isn’t this very old news?

It’s very old music. The news is from ‘Yesterday’. Whenever that was.

BillMC

I can’t imagine ever playing either of them. Ghastly.

senorj

Fwiw there is a very entertaining & long Eagles documentary I enjoyed.

It was on the beeb but I think it now lives on netflix…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the Eagles, good band for thier time. Latterly thier music got all a bit pop, but the early stuff is really clever and sublimely written.

No1 of all time?

Its a compilation, Shirley datdontcount 🤷‍♀️

footflaps

I’m with The Dude, can’t stand The Eagles. Thriller on the other hand, amazing album!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Greatest Hits are not albums.

Agreed. It’s cheating

hols2
    Free Member

Michael Jackson was a brilliant pop singer, if you’re into that, which I’m mostly not, but you gotta admit he was amazing at what he did. The Eagles seem mostly inoffensive to me, mostly pretty boring. Compared with the songs by Creedence and Kenny Rogers on the Big Lebowski soundtrack, the Eagles are fairly forgettable.

Nico
    Free Member

Michael Jackson was black?! Who knew.

PrinceJohn

And I say that as someone who currently has two Eagles albums on cassette in my car.

Do you have any means to play those cassettes?

funkmasterp

Michael Jackson was black?! Who knew

I thought he was a werewolf (that looks like a cat) or one of those pesky dancing zombies?

woodster

Do you have any means to play those cassettes?

Yes. Most of the cars I’ve ever bought have had a tape deck.

johnx2
    Free Member

…so what would you blame for Jackson’s relative under-performance?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Dude is correct.

For someone who defines himself by his ability to abide he can’t seem to manage it for the Eagles?

angeldust
    Free Member

Nice cup holder

Nico
    Free Member

…so what would you blame for Jackson’s relative under-performance?

Not touring?

These things go in and out of fashion, but whether you are a fan of either recording you have to admit there’s no filler on either. A greatest hits album is a bit of a fiddle though, but the comparison is for most sales (and downloads!) of an album.

As an aside I heard in the recent spate of Aretha eulogies that her dad was top of the charts for recorded preaching discs (I’m not quite sure of the name for these things).

DezB
    Free Member

recorded preaching discs (I’m not quite sure of the name for these things).

Records, we call em.

johnx2
    Free Member

Not touring?

Well I wasn’t going to blame it on the sunshine, moonlight or good times…

(Gotta work harder on my setup lines.)

llama

Your car is wearing Michael’s jacket

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah!

I thought that 👌

Are those seats velour ? Like red velour ??

Do you have a partner or are you single ??

🤷‍♀️😜

slowoldman

I’m sort of with the Dude on this one, but you can’t really hate Hotel California can you?

CountZero

It wouldn’t be too far from the truth to say Thriller is also a greatest hits album, considering how many tracks became hit singles. Personally I prefer it when bands would release singles which never appeared on any albums, apart from a greatest hits album, it encouraged fans to go and buy album and singles.

I like the Eagles, good band for thier time. Latterly thier music got all a bit pop, but the early stuff is really clever and sublimely written.

Music from the artists who became part of the Eagles is worth checking out, The Souther, Hillman Furay Band’s eponymous album has just had a shiny new CD release, which is great as my original 70’s cassette disappeared years ago. JD Souther is worth checking out if you like the Eagles, he wrote or co-wrote a number of their big hits, and he’s done a few albums of his own, particularly Black Rose, which is really very good indeed. I bought it after reading an NME review, in 1976. He also released an album with his mate Glen Frey, under the name Longbranch Pennywhistle in 1970. He also dated and wrote songs for Linda Ronstadt as well. Git!

Waderider
    Free Member

If you hear any value in the Eagles check out Gram Parsons.

redmex
    Free Member

There’s a train leaves here this morning and i don’t know what i might be on, early Eagles i do like and then Joe Walsh over the years really like

PrinceJohn

No one has mentioned the can of Tab Clear? Is that Tab Clear?!

Nico
    Free Member

So, if we discount compilation albums that makes Jackson still number one. So what would become number two, eh? Hotel California apparently. Bizarrely somebody called Hootie and the Blowfish sold more of their album than Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours.

CountZero

Bizarrely somebody called Hootie and the Blowfish sold more of their album than Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours.

I’ve still trying to figure out a world where that could possibly happen! I’ve heard some Hootie, and it’s… okay, I guess.

CountZero

check out Gram Parsons.

Great singer and songwriter, more country than the Eagles and the Byrds, got together with Emmylou Harris, musically and personally, nurtured her early career. Emmylou is really worth checking out, especially her later albums, From Elite Hotel onwards, particularly Cowgirls Prayer and Wrecking Ball, which she recorded with Daniel Lanois.

Can’t say I’m that fond of much of the Eagles stuff, there’s lots of music out there by artists connected to them in one way or another that’s worth checking out, but you might have to do a bit of digging to find it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Beating King of Pop, The Eagles have No.1 album of all-time’ is closed to new replies.