Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bearings loose AGAIN any tips ?
  • stennah
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve just changed my lower link bearings on my Santa Cruz Blur LT 1.0 and after 50 miles there’s play in the bearings already did I do something wrong ??

Anyone have any tips to stop this happening?  I got the precise bearing kit Santa Cruz told me to and swapped like for like

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Mark

Stevelol
    Free Member

How are you diagnosing loose bearings? Do you mean loose axles?

stennah
    Free Member

When I lift the bike there’s play in the lower link area could it be the pivot axle maybe ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yak

Or shock bushings?

carlos
    Free Member

Check the SC site as one type of bearings are fit and forget, the other are re tourque and check preload after  so many hours

Or as above, could be shock bush

HTH

Carlos

twonks

If it isn’t an installation issue as above, I’d check the frame for oval bearing recesses or splits. 50 miles is nothing and the bearings in my SC lasted over 3000 miles (Granted not the same model, but would expect similar)

How easy did the bearings go in? If it was very easy to slot them in, maybe the frame has distorted due to previous bearings being removed or installed incorrectly and at an angle.

munkyboy
    Free Member

my nomad 1 had play caused by bearing wear, then axle wear, then the link needed to be replaced. All at various times depending on use. Could be axle/ link wear?

stennah
    Free Member

The bearings were a pain to get out and just as tough to get in so I think the frame is good it’s definitely not the shock bushings had that on a few frames and I know it’s not that ,hope it’s not munkyboy that’s gonna cost and I only got the frame for £200

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not sure about the old 1.0 models. They have bearings in the frame instead of the link?

Anyway, on newer ones you adjust for play by adding more grease and increasing torque on the axle. Where the link has bearings and there’s an axle and cone washer with bolt, the axle is just done up snug but have to experiment to reduce play.

Worn axle you should see visible signs of on the axle and probably can feel it’s worn. Had one wrecked due to collapsed bearing, but it was cutting a groove into the axle and would have snapped eventually. Couldn’t get the axle on its own unfortunately, only the whole kit.

Though maybe ask Jungle. Their support is good and they sometimes can help out with odd bits lying around. I’ve had some stuff free off them, though cheap parts anyway.

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks deadkenny I’ll give jungle a ring I’ve emailed Santa Cruz and they seem to think it might be the lower pivot axle and I’ll need to buy a full kit that’s £60 not too bad IF it solves the problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bearings loose AGAIN any tips ?’ is closed to new replies.