Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bearing removal and install for several bikes
  • breninbeener

We have 6 FS bikes in the family.

Offhand i dont know bearing sizes but all the bikes are different makes. I want to be able to swap frame bearings without recourse to lots of faff with sockets and threaded bar and washers (i have dine this before).
    Whats the most cost effective way to buy bearing press. The RRP device looks good, but it seems like i need to buy a million guides for each individual bearing size.
    I know its been done before but with lots of bikes to service, id like to do it quickly and easily.
    Thanks
    Ian

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Buy the full kinetic bearings set which offers a discount over buying them separately.

breninbeener

Ok…will have a look at that thanks.

Poopscoop

I guarantee that even when you are fully tooled up you will still end up having to bodge some of the bearings! Lol

I was in a similar position when changing all 11 bearings in the Jeffsy.😆

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Just changed 12 bearings on a Vitus sommet vr
    Could not of been any simpler using the kinetic bearings tools
    I used a blind puller on the chainstays which required a dozen turns of a spanner and one tap of a mallet ……..the closest it came to a bodge was having to settle for plain digestives over chocolate …….

hainman
    Free Member

@Big-Bud what bearing puller do you use??is it the bolt style one

Big-Bud
    Free Member

@hainman for the bearings in the chainstay that are blind = yes works a treat unlike the collet type I’ve tried previously

binno
    Free Member

I use one of these sets (about £45 with drifts when I got mine) and so far have managed to cover everything on frames, including wheels and a bit of creative thinking (ussing a quick release for instance) along the way: https://wheelsmfg.com/economy-bearing-press.html

Blind bearings in something like an FSR are the worst for removal. Santa Cruz can also b e a bit tricky. Heat can help, along with the size specific pullers you can source on eBay for under a tenner. Socket sets, bolts and nuts also effective in some cases.

breninbeener

Thanks guys..going to see what will now suit my list of bearings and locations!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bearing removal and install for several bikes’ is closed to new replies.