• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by daern.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bearing puller/press
  • marksnook
    Free Member

Apologies as I have seen this asked before but search seems to bring up money no object options!
    So after a puller/press for general duties, hub bearings, frame bearings etc
    Seen those rrp ones. It’s my understanding you buy the tool then buy the die(right word?!) to fit your bearings?
    Not after mega budget stuff just not 3 figure numbers either!
    What do we recommend?

tjagain

I use threaded bar with washers, sockets, bits of wood etc to get a decent fit on the bearings

dirkpitt74

These are pretty good:
    Kinetic Bearings Tools

Yak

RRP one is good for most stuff once you have the right kits for your bearings. You might also need some blind bearing pullers too depending on your set up, but get those separately to suit.

Tracey

this is what we have used for quite some time and has never let us down

628 Bearing Puller/Press ?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

First off I would find out/take note of all the bearing sizes on you bike/need.

Hub wise, Really depends on you hubs really.
    most hubs you can knock the bearings out with a long punch and hammer (hope etc) as you can get on the back of them.
    Then to fit new ones you can get bearing support bush type tools.
    My advice would be to see if the brand of hub do hub tools, as would save hassle in the long run.

As for frame bearings I would look at https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/tools and get the sizes you need, again be careful around bb/main pivot bearings as you might need blind pullers depending on type of bike. Again if you know sizes you should be able to find the ones you need.

Park tools and Wheels wheelsmfg do bearing press kits etc. coast more but you have more options on sizes for other bikes.

davros

Thumbs up for kinetic. Made the fiddly ones on my camber much easier

Big-Bud
    Free Member

kinetic bearings
    best value bearing instal/removal tool ive used .

hainman
    Free Member

What’s best for pulling blind bearings at BB area

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I got the full kit for my bike from;
    https://www.bearingprotools.com/

Nearly every bearing on the bike is blind!
    Used the, recently and did the job well.

I’d recommend 🙂

hainman
    Free Member

I’ve seen those pullers
    How do the bearings get removed

Jordan

@hainman if you are refering to the blind bearing pullers, the expanding part slides into the bearing from the accessible side and then is expanded by the nut until it grips the inner race. You then tap it out with a drift from the other side by tapping on the smooth end of the bolt. Can have mixed results depending on the state of the bearing and whether or not it is seized in the hole.

hainman
    Free Member

@Jordan
    Ye mate that’s what I wanted to know
    Suppose it’s a better option that just whacking the sh1t put the bearings till the drop

doom_mountain

I also got a set of the Kinetic ones, great quality. Last year was the first time I’ve ever changed the bearings on a frame, it was so simple.

Concering the blind bearing, I hit it with a hammer and screwdriver, worked a treat.

daern
    Free Member

I got the full kit for my bike from;
    https://www.bearingprotools.com/

Nearly every bearing on the bike is blind!
    Used the, recently and did the job well.

Seconded. Been using his bearing pullers for years and they are excellent. Great support too – he sent me a replacement for one that I had worn out when I was buying some new sizes.

Honestly, you probably don’t need every size ever made on day one, so I just buy new presses every time I come across a bearing that I don’t have the right part for. I’ve now got a decent collection of bits and it’s surprising how few I actually need.

I’ve also got the Giant Anthem kit, which bought years ago when I seemed to be repairing a lot of them. It still does 95% of frame bearings that I come across, with some swapping of bits around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bearing puller/press’ is closed to new replies.