Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bean to cup machines
  • techsmechs
    Free Member

Thinking of buying one of these, am I being sucked into the hype? Is this 27+ for the coffee machine market.

Your experiences and recommendations, if any?

Bregante

I’ve just got a delonghi magnifica esam4200 (catchy name) after a psa on here a few weeks back.

Amazon were doing them for 239 I think but they went up to 280. I got one new from an eBay seller for 210. So far I’m really pleased with it. Quite a faff getting it set up the first time with all sorts of warning lights and buzzers going off but now I’ve got it set up it makes a really consistent brew.

Previously I had a nespresso machine and personally I liked the coffee it made. It is often commented how expensive they work out so it will be interesting to see how they compare long term but my initial comparison (hasbean for my first batch of beans) is that the difference will be negligible – having got through a fivers worth of beans in five days…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sandwich

@Bregante try the Riposo or Sumatran from Wogan in Bristol, the beans are quite a bit cheaper for a very similar quality.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve got the 4000 version of the one mentioned above, I’m very please with it. Be prepared to waste a bag of coffee beans getting it set up though. My only real gripe is that the water reservoir isn’t very big if you are making mugs of coffee.

Bregante

Cheers Sandwich, I’ll have a look.

BillMC

I bought one of those machines after the previous thread. It replaces an espresso maker (same brand) and so far I’ve been really impressed. I bought some organic beans in Spain so I’m not sure yet whether it’s the beans or the machine that has made improvements but I suspect the latter.
    It does self-clean so you do need to fill it up more frequently but that’s not too much of a faff.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Thanks All, seems to be lots of information available, whether it make any difference to me I’m still not sure. I guess I want to be able to press a button and a nice fresh espresso appear.

BillMC – Which one have you bought?

BillMC

I bought the black plastic Magnifica, about £250 off Amazon. Just had a really good machiato (sp?) from it with ff milk. Ace!

mattbee

Had a Perfecta 5600 for 4 or 5 years now. It’s consistently great. I just wish it could be plumbed in rather than using the water tank.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve got one at work and one at home – they are very convenient, with little maintenance or cleaning required – put in beans and water, get coffee, clean it once a week.

The one at work has saved me cash, never-mind being very conveniently sat at the end of my desk – coffee at work is only €0.80 a cup, but I broke even before I’d made 2000 cups of coffee – the machine is now on around 3000 cups and still going strong – that was with a Gaggia Titanium, for which I paid £450.

spooky_b329

Good results with the Magnifica here, parents pod machine just doesn’t compare and once I’d worked out how to get a good coffee, the big chains taste a bit rubbish in comparison.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve had a few delonghi’s….

My gaggia anima I’m currently on makes coffee that’s loads nicer, but then it is quite a bit more expensive

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t really rate my Magnifica (4200 I think), no matter what beans I’ve tried the espresso is always average at best (and I’m no connoisseur). I’m thinking maybe I just don’t like coffee as much as I think I should although still tempted to try HB’s Sage Oracle just to see if good tasting faff-free coffee really is available – haven’t managed to justify the cost to myself yet though…

rickmeister

They are bad news for the work from home teams…
    Press a button, get a coffee, repeat way to many times each day !

ScottChegg
    Free Member

HB’s Sage Oracle just to see if good tasting faff-free coffee

One thing the Sage is not is faff-free. It’s easier to start the Flying Scotsman than get all the knobs and knockers at the optimum setting.

russianbob
    Free Member

@ScottChegg – are they any good though, once you have them set up? I’m tempted by one myself, but only the £500 jobby.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bean to cup machines’ is closed to new replies.