Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Be honest, who sticks to the service intervals on their Forks/Shock?
  • kimbers

Im supposed to service my RS forks every 50 hours, and Fox shock after every 30 hours of riding

So I should be servicing the shock every couple of months

Id say Im fairly good and do it annually but I should be doing it 4 times a year, does anyone do this?

cakeandcheese

I like servicing forks and probably keep to the schedule.

I’ll service a monarch shock at home too (gf has one), but I’m really bad with sending stuff to a service centre. My Ohlins probably deserves a refresh, but I can’t be arsed to send it!

tabletop2

I do lower leg service often as it’s quick and easy and do a damper service never

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Nope. I’ve never touched my Fox 34s and they work fine. Bought in 2017 when Mojo closed. If it ain’t broke…*

I did used to do services, rear shocks too. The set of Vanilla forks I had have the most worn stanchions of any fork I’ve owned and I used to do them regularly!

*Oh, I lied. They’ve got new SKF wiper seals, so I did them once. Can’t remember when though.

hooli

No, never have done according to the schedule. I generally do it when I feel it needs it.

I did my fork for the first time in 2.5 years a few weeks back and it was spotless inside. Oil still looked new so it confirmed my thoughts that the seals were still keeping dirt out and all was well.

thegeneralist

Been mountain biking for 35 years, of which I think around 25 years have been on bikes with suspension.

I did once get my x Fusions serviced, but apart from that no, nothing.

molgrips

I do it when I feel they need it. I can tell when they start to dry up a bit.

The problem isn’t necessarily with dirt getting in, it’s oil getting out. When you only have 5ml per leg, a tiny bit gets wiped onto the stanchions each time on some forks – you can see this get pushed up to the top of the legs – and over time this is enough to reduce the amount left inside.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m shocked (geddit?) at the laxness displayed here.

Follow a few suspension service places on Insta and the horror stories they share might change some of your minds.

Also, it really does work much better if you service it.

To answer the original question, not totally to the letter, but close enough. The ProBikeGarage app is very useful.

onewheelgood

Just had the Rebas on my 2014 XTC serviced for the first time. The difference is just about noticeable, but might just be down to having them set up specifically for my weight/riding style.

davros
    Free Member

No chance.

DrP

I frequently do my fork lowers.
    It’s easy, fun, and really does make a difference.
    Can put some sram butter in the wiper seals too, adn resoak the foam rings.

If i’m paying a grand for forks, i’ll keep the running nice!

DrP

vmgscot

Lower leg service every 6 months and a ‘biggy’ every 2 years or so.
    Air can yearly and ‘biggy’ 2 yearly

nickc

Yes.

By which I obviously mean no. I do my lowers a couple of times a year. Once you’;ve got over the initial OhmygodOhmygod of going at a grands worth of kit with your spanners, it’s actually pretty easy and it does make a difference.

I will say the predominance of mud guards that attach via the fork crown and extend past the wiper seals has made a tremendous difference to the internals of my forks. I can happily leave them for 9 months of so knowing that they’ll be mostly Ok inside. Also, washing them carefully and helpings of Juice Lubes Fork Spray helps keep the worst at bay

DrP

juicey lubes fork spray, and the blue frame spray…
    do it in a POORLY ventilated area for full “life ain’t too bad” vibes….

Smells sooo nice!!!

DrP

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Have sent Rockshox forks of many moons ago to TF tuning and on both occasions they came back great lasted 4 months never bother since spread my use over a few bikes.

oikeith

At the minute yes, I use an app which was recommended from here and uses my strava data to log hours used and reminds me when the fork needs a lower leg service. I didnt do them bang on 50 hours but close enough, nearing the 200 hour fork and shock servcie, might send them off for that.

App is ProBike Garage

IHN

For those that do a ‘lower leg service’ , what does that entail?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I do.

Nice excuse to go to the garage, have a beer, put on some music / podcasts etc. Especially if the OH is watching “Below Deck” again.

chakaping
    Free Member

Remove lowers, pick out foam rings, clean and soak in oil, re-assemble with fresh oil.

There will probably be a video for your fork on YT.

oikeith

Remove lowers, pick out foam rings, clean and soak in oil, re-assemble with fresh oil.

This, but maybe need more of this:

have a beer, put on some music / podcasts

nickc

Drop the lowers legs off the fork. This is mostly a couple of bolts with washers that you’ll most likely need to replace. Inspecting everything for wear and tear. Then it’s a matter of cleaning everything a best you can, replacing the parts in the kit – normally wiper seals and foam rings, grease the things that need it, replace legs and fill with oil. Do up bolts.

It’s not particularly ninja level spannering, Just take it steady and don’t go at it like a idiot and it’ll be fine.

Edit: get everything you think you might need before starting this, a length of dowel for instance is great for wrapping a cloth around to get into the inside of the legs to get rid of oil/brake cleaner that you’ve used. Any special tools, like a wiper ring setting tool. and of course the service kit and fluids. have it all, ready know what the stages are, take it easy.

jhinwxm
    Free Member

Nope. I’ve never touched my Fox 34s and they work fine. Bought in 2017 when Mojo closed. If it ain’t broke…*

I did used to do services, rear shocks too. The set of Vanilla forks I had have the most worn stanchions of any fork I’ve owned and I used to do them regularly!

*Oh, I lied. They’ve got new SKF wiper seals, so I did them once. Can’t remember when though.

They will be broke, or performance will be severely worse, you’ll have just forgotten what a fully functioning fork feels like and think that they’re fine because they still go up and down. Either that or you never ride.

DrP

@IHN
    as above.
    What fork do you have – have a look at shop youtube channels (worldwide cyclery etc) for a lowers service video.
    Get some IPA (isopropyl alcohol! not beer) to liberally spray over all the slidey parts to clean them.

It’s a really satisfying job to do, and makes a world of difference.
    My tip:
    take the fork off the bike and stick the steerer tube in a bike stand.
    It’s an extra 10 minutes, do do the job properly.
    Also, get some syringes and plastic piping to be able to ‘inject’ the fork oil into the lowers via the bottom bolt holes (once you’ve slid the lowers on a bit). Do this with teh bottom of the fork pointing UPwards, and the oil will stay in!)

DrP

singlespeedstu

Yes/No.
    Forks get looked after. Lowers servicing is so easy to do I don’t see why people don’t do it.
    Shocks. If they’re air they get regular aircan services.
    The damper side gets done around every 18 months.
    Two of my coil shocks get sent away for service as they’re pretty expensive units.
    The third coil doesn’t as it’s a relatively cheap unit and servicing seems to be to much of a % of the cost of a new shock so I’ll let that run.

LAT

i get my rear shock serviced annually. they do feel better afterwards, especially if it’s an air shock. when i have an air shock i lube the can at 6 month intervals.

i do my fork lowers twice a year and change the damper oil once a year.

i used to live in a town where one of the shops had a very competent suspension technician. it was great value and no postage costs. it was very convenient.

madhouse

Got them done properly when my frame got swapped under warranty, so that must be 2 years ago at least. Probably overdue a tinker, I’ll stick it on the to-do list.

smallspinsized
    Free Member

Fork lowers are easy and do prolong their life. So I’ll do that often.

Rear shocks – I send it off every 2 years but then I don’t ride the full sus all year round.

oikeith

@nickc what do you use as a dowel? I had a look to get one before I started doing lower leg services but an internet search was more confusing then helpful so never ordered anything!

Mackem

I get a full-service done once a year, It’s getting done now actually. This time, it felt like it was needed.
    I’m pretty good at keeping the moving bits clean and I use suspension spray which makes me feel like I’m doing something.

chakaping
    Free Member

After 15 years of riding suspension, I’m finally learning to tell when my suspension needs a service.

And it’s usually because I suddenly start riding like crap, can’t keep up with people – and eventually realise my fork needs a fettle.

nickc

@nickc what do you use as a dowel?

B&Q. Where they will sell you any length of wood that’s approximately dowel shaped – mine is in fact a bit of fancy moulding for the edge of floors, still does the trick

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I remember now, when I changed my seals, I followed this video.
    He’s very good

Oh and to bop the new seals in, please don’t be a mug and buy £40 plastic things just cos they have a Fox logo on them. £12, Amazon (or probably, ebay)

thepurist

Another Pro Bike Garage user here – it’s just started nagging me to do shock and fork again so I’ll get that done in the next week or two. The app is also useful to remind you to check stuff like chain wear, and I’ve got seat post lubes set in there too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, mostly because the whole ‘hours’ thing is a bit much, I worked it all out once and I’ve be servicing both ends Jan, Mar, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Nov and Jan/Feb again.

I do an air-can or lower service 2 or 3 times a year, I’ve got plenty of fluids and the special greases at home. I give the fork a full service at the start and end of summer and the shock I have to send off, because ‘there be dragons’ in shocks once you get past the air-can, in my book anyway.

Northwind

I don’t even know how you’re supposed to. Track the hours? Meaningfully I mean?

I look after mine, they get a lowers/can service pretty much whenever it’s convenient and damper/upper service every couple of years and that does it well enough. I reckon the rule is more or less “if you can service the fork and it doesn’t feel much better, it wasn’t overdue a service”? I sent in my 36s to Jtech for tuning right at the longest end of my servicing scale and they ruled them well looked after and in perfect condition, so that put my mind at ease

fossy

Yet to do mine – had the bike 5 years. I do, however, maks sure they are clean and the seal’s coated with silicone after rides.

I serviced the dropper post shortly after buying it with an new seal kit as it was leaking (X-Fusion) but not touched it since – 4 years).

Yak

Lower leg and air can service – probably 6months or so. Damper – v occasionally. Probably did one 18months ago, maybe longer. Air springs – probably a bit more frequently but usually when I think that I need more travel and need to change the air spring shaft or similar unnecessary mucking about.

Dropper – when it stops working properly.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t even know how you’re supposed to. Track the hours?

As above, ProBikeGarage app pulls in your ride times from Strava.

Easy peasy.

Northwind

Yeah but my ride times on strava are about 50% faffing and eating jelly babies.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Strava trims out the ‘jelly baby’ hours and it’s just ride time.

I’m surprised how many people just dont bother! My pike ultimates started to feel rubbish, giving me hand ache and nowhere near as plush so I used a strava filter website to work out how many hours riding I’d done and they’d just hit the 200 hours at just over a year so I thought well I’ll get em booked in then. Took them to a local guy who does the suspension for all the local shops and he was shocked with how bad they were, the fluid inside had emulsified and he asked if I’d been washing with a power washer as it was so bad. Dont tend to do the 20 hour bit but definitely will be keeping a track of the 200 hours, it’s easy to think they’re fine but actually they’ve just got gradually rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.