Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Be honest… (Shimano brakes question)
  • BillOddie

I have the ’13 Deores.

For the money (I paid about £60, yes that’s right £60, no really, they were £60) they are totes amazeballs.

I had a load of old XT/Saint pads (like 6 sets) kicking about so it’s quite handy that I can use them in the “old style” calipers.

If I build up a new bike next year, I’ll either go deore or SLX. But as you can fit Icetech pads to Deore next year, why would you even go to SLX?

To be honest Deore is that good these days (Clutch mechs next year too) I struggle with justifying SLX let alone XT or XTR.

BadlyWiredDog

The only thing I don’t like about the Deore’s is they have a split pin that you have to bend with some pliers when you want to change pads, rather than the retaining screw that the SLX’s and above have. But for a tiny bit of faff once every few months, its hardly an issue.

I tapped the holes on mine and fitted threaded screws, no more split-pin hassle. I also stuck some of the latest Deore levers with some last generation XT calipers and they are brilliant – those mini-evers are lovely – though I’m not sure I could tell any difference between those and stock Deores etc.

richmtb

The only thing I don’t like about the Deore’s is they have a split pin that you have to bend with some pliers when you want to change pads, rather than the retaining screw that the SLX’s and above have. But for a tiny bit of faff once every few months, its hardly an issue

Yeah this is true, the threaded retaining pins are great, totally hassle free. Still the Shimano split pin is still about 1000 times better than the stupid pin and magical disappearing clip arrangement hope use

ddmonkey

I had a set of the M810 Saints on my old DH bike, they were incredibly powerful, almost too powerful, wonderful brakes.

earl_brutus

Bog std deores on my blur, xtr rotors and some clarks sintered pads and cant fault em. Xtr cranks however are a proper cut above

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve the new(ish) XT’s.

Power is good, but very imediate if you really squeeze they’re still no more powerfull than anything else (not suprising they’re still limited by the same laws of physics). Their advantage is they don’t require much force to generate 90% it, thus less fatigue on long decents with hard braking over bumps.

Ice tech might work, I’ve not done back to back runs with the standard 2 part rotors, but I’ve not overheated them despite being a 15stone powerhouse[i] lard arse[/i].

There is a difference between SLX and XT, but I’d have to go back and look for it, might have been a forged Vs stamped lever blade? Makes no difference in use anyway.

The adjusters are for show only, I wound the bite point right to the limit and as close to the bars as possible 9not the limit, it’ll pointlessly wind in furter). As I said they give a lot of power in not much movement, so good for running them that close. all my brake levers (avid, hope, shimano) bottom out on the grip while braking hard. I’d actualy rather they weren’t there (save weight, les to hit in a crash).

earl_brutus

Only problem i had with deores was a leaky nipple when i bled them and contaminated the pads, they turned into a squeeky non brake fest until i learnt a natty little trick of toasting the pads on an naked flame to burn off the brake fluid now brake power is better than ever!

iainc

I have recently gone from 2011 to 2013 XT’s, with the finned pads. great brakes and noticeably more powerful thatn the 2011 versions, with same size rotors. Front pads click and rattle annoyingly but a minor niggle

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Be honest… (Shimano brakes question)’ is closed to new replies.