Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Be careful what you wish for…. (emigration content)
  • twicewithchips
    Free Member

Proper green eyed monster here. Get it done, don’t look back, but leave the escape hatch open for the rest of us will ya?
    Also, I have several transferable skills – mention me to your new gaffer?
    Oh, I should say: do it.

matt_outandabout

Canada, eh?

mikey74
    Free Member

The very same. The land of Rush and moose.

Also, I have several transferable skills – mention me to your new gaffer?

Let me get my feet under the table first….. 😀

tthew

**** me, are you still here? You wouldn’t see me for smoke. Bugger off and stop being such a cock! (in the nicest, most supportive way).

deserter
    Free Member

Exciting times, we emmigrated to Canada 8 years ago, done really well for ourselves but I do miss family terribly, wouldnt worry about the degree as they dont seem to care about non canadian qualifications too much

markgraylish
    Free Member

Have you negotiated a starting salary?

If so, make sure it’s in line with the market so you don’t get shafted.
    It’s easy to get mixed up in the excitement of moving to a new country but some employers will try to pay new immigrants below market rates…

Have you figured out the commute from Pitt Meadows to downtown? If you work office hours, you could use the West Coast Express train but be aware the service is VERY limited…

mikey74
    Free Member

So, this has taken a frustrating turn: I had my interview 2 weeks ago, during which they asked for references, which I duly provided. However, since then, I’ve heard nothing, other than the odd replies to my emails saying “they are very very interested” (their exact words), but workload has got in the way of them progressing things further (which i can believe, judging by what they were saying in the interview).

Meanwhile, Uni started again this week, which I don’t know whether I can pick up again, and on Monday I am due to spend a day at another firm as a precursor to another job, which I don’t know whether to go ahead with.

The problem with the job on Monday is: If I don’t meet their requirements, they won’t offer me anything. If I do meet their requirements and offer me a job, I can’t accept it due to the potential of the Canada job. Either way, I feel it’s a waste of their time. Hence, I’m tempted to email them and cancel. I would be very honest and mention the Canada thing. However, if the Canada thing falls through, it’s an opportunity I would like to take up.

On both accounts, and generally speaking, I just feel in limbo at the moment, and it’s horrible,

Brainflex

Do the day, either you get the Canada job or you won’t but at least this keeps your options open. If you get an offer from the day trip then you have something to nudge the canadians along with, i.e. I have this job offer but want yours, whats happening? They will apologise and send you some maple syrup. 8)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Northwind

Did you speak to the uni about a suspension of studies? It might help you to find out exactly what the options are. (if you’re a half-decent student, unis don’t want you dropping out, it costs them money and screws their stats- they’d much rather pause you, it costs them nothing and maybe you come back, maybe not, either way they win)

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

My sisters family are emigrating to Toronto in six months. Jezuz there’s not many left in my family that haven’t packed up and gone with the remaining few looking to do the same.

This countries a spent force with expensive tiny housing, shit job opportunities, relativity low wages, declining working conditions, not to mention being a grey shithole full of small minded **** 😆

Do it.

walleater

expensive tiny housing, shit job opportunities, relativity low wages

Sounds like Vancouver! I never hear of anyone moving TO Vancouver. Everyone seems to be leaving. It’s all about property investment, empty condos and homeless people. Funnily enough coming back to the UK on holiday a couple of weeks back, I found Brits to be way friendlier / less douchy which was a first.

mikey74
    Free Member

NW: I haven’t spoken to them yet as I don’t feel I can do anything until I know something more concrete, which is part of the problem. However, I do know others who have deferred for a year or two, so I know it’s possible.

@ walleater: my experience has been different, although I would only be working in Vancouver. I would look to live outside of the city.

@brainflex: I don’t think it’s that simple as saying I’ve got an alternative option in the UK shows a lack of dedication to moving to Canada. Plus, I really don’t want to feel as if I’m wasting both my time and their time by doing this trial day.

In all honesty, I could do without the stress of it at the moment as well.

walleater

Eight years of living in East Vancouver formed my opinion although it was partly tongue in cheek. Only partly though…. I think someone already mentioned it, but if you are looking to commute the traffic is a bit of a farce. Personally I’d rather live in the city or on a Skytrain line than be sat on Highway 1 for half my life.

mikey74
    Free Member

A bit of an update: The company have engaged a large immigration law firm to manage my immigration application and I received the log-in details today, so I can access my own case. They are going for permanent residency straight away 😯

Once this plays out, they will provide me with an offer of employment.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Be careful what you wish for…. (emigration content)’ is closed to new replies.