Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • BC Sunshine Coast
  • pobaker
    Free Member

Hi,

Anyone been to the sunshine coast in BC, Canada?
    Thinking of spending a few days there on a trip to Canada with the family next summer. Any recommendations for good bases? Looking for;
    – somewhere near the coast,
    – easy access to some trails (kids are younger, so its not solely a biking holiday but will have my bike and would like to be nip out for a couple of hours here and there)
    – a bit of life, not busy but somewhere which generally attracts visitors with an emphasis on outdoors activities
    On the map Roberts Creek area would look ideal… any other suggestions?

shortcut

Have a look at some of the venues used for BC Bike race there are some great towns and trails around that area.

wrecker
    Free Member

Never been there but it looks like paradise. Very jealous.
    Been to the other side of Van island (pacific rim), Tofino. It was lovely.

antennae
    Free Member

Roberts Creek is a good choice – especially if you want to get a few doorstep rides in. There’s a great trail network on the other side of the main road:

http://www.trailforks.com/region/roberts-creek-287/?lat=49.430549003958376&lon=-123.62497331108595&z=13&m=terrain

The riding is much more flowy and fun that its North Shore neighbour, I thought…

There’s a coffee shop and a couple of places to eat there (including some damn good fish and chips at Sharkey’s), and you can roll into Gibsons or Sechelt if you want more choice.

Recommend heading up to Porpoise Bay for a kayak or a picnic, too.

antennae
    Free Member

Been to the other side of Van island (pacific rim)

Sunshine Coast isn’t actually on Vancouver Island, as I only discovered just before boarding the ferry there 😳

DPM

Yep, stayed a few years ago for a few days on the way from Whistler to the Island. Stayed in a campground at Sechelt. Great base to stay – nice small town with good outdoorsy vibe.

A great day out for a walk or family bike ride was Skookumchuck Park where the tidal rapids, wildlife, and standing wave were a great natural spectacle.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve not been to the Sunshine coast as it’s a bit of a trek to get to but your requirements could easily be met in Squamish (or if I’m honest almost any other town in BC near the coast).

DeMoose
    Free Member

I’ve done BCBR a couple of times. It’s all amazing but my favourite places were Powell River where you can ride from the beach and also the area around Sechelt and Earls Cove. It’s all good!

allthepies
    Free Member

Went years ago, good memories of paddling in a canoe into one of the inlets (not a euphemism 🙂 )

Went to the Skookumchuck Narrows too.

rs
    Free Member

You have coast gravity park now too.

pobaker
    Free Member

thanks for the input everyone – just need to find somewhere to stay now!

BearBack
    Free Member

We love weekend getaways on the sunshine coast. It’s super easy to get to and we unwind so quickly.
    There are so many places to stay. Cottages being our first choice through VRBO. Beach front places are plentiful but they book very early.
    Roberts creek is the main trail zone and but there is also great trail riding to the west of sechelt.
    I have friends with a boat and we keep talking about loading bikes in squamish and buzzing over for a ride.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Stayed in Powell River for a few days with friends. We got a loan of bikes and rode round Inland Lake, we did have 7 year olds with us and they a managed it no problem. Watch out you don’t run over any snakes. As said above the BC Bike Race does go through here then heads south, check out Vancouver Island, ask in the Local Bike Shops.

wrecker
    Free Member

We love weekend getaways on the sunshine coast. It’s super easy to get to and we unwind so quickly.
    There are so many places to stay. Cottages being our first choice through VRBO. Beach front places are plentiful but they book very early.
    Roberts creek is the main trail zone and but there is also great trail riding to the west of sechelt.
    I have friends with a boat and we keep talking about loading bikes in squamish and buzzing over for a ride.

Wanna swap lives?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘BC Sunshine Coast’ is closed to new replies.