Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • BBQ question – Cooking a leg of lamb on a weber
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have a half leg of lamb that I want to bbq tomorrow with some friends. 1/6kg. I’m gonna do it in indirect heat, but does anyone have any ideas how long for?

Was planning to do something similar to this video, but their leg looks much bigger, so I guess I don’t need the 3 hours?:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQ1xGrXmDw[/video]

bigblackshed

Just had a look in my Webber cook book. It’s saying 10 minutes searing over coals then 30 minutes indirect. That’s for a 1.5kg boneless leg, medium rare.

The other BBQ book says 1.5 hours per kilo, with bone in AND 70deg C with a probe thermometer in full depth on the thickest part of the joint, but not touching the bone.

If you have a thermometer on the lid then the temperature in the BBQ should be around 170-180degC.

The Webber guidelines are probably nothing more than wiping the lambs arse, TBH. I’d err on the side of caution.

petefromearth

I’ve bbq’d a leg of lamb a couple of times by boning it out then butterflying it. Makes it a reasonable thickness to cook it through nicely. Also more surface area if you are marinading it 🙂

Think I just grilled it directly over the coals, medium heat. 20 minutes a side (guess…)

Good bit of colour and charred bits but still juicy

Hungry now!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chewkw
    Free Member

Damn I bet that taste good! I want! 😐

TheDTs
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve done it. great results. the key is to stop yourself checking it too often. If the lid is open it ain’t cookin.
    Instant read digital thermometer is what you need.

Also did a leg over an open fire hanging off a long wire. You twist the wire so it works as a rotisserie. Works a treat.

grum
    Free Member

I did one deboned, butterflied and marinated in oil, garlic and herbs.

Blasted it with direct heat for about 10 mins each side IIRC then it took another 25 minutes or so on indirect medium heat to get to a lovely medium rare. Was bloody awesome.

Instant read thermometer +1. Decent leg of lamb isn’t cheap so you want to get it right.

anagallis_arvensis

I always take the bone out. Marinate overnight with lots of mint and lemon juice. Cooks in about 30-40 mins.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Butterfly it & do what Grum suggests, did it a fee days ago & worked well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What everybody else has said… no bone and 40 mins (max…. check it). Why bother indirect?.

andywill

Grum, is right, taste delicious.

andywill

Double post.

antigee

having moved to Australia first of all I’d like to say it rains a lot in the winter in Melbourne 😥 – secondly bbq is an art and in between beers men having being trying to teach me the basics

follow the weber recipe sear then indirect heat – the indirect thing was news to me but it really works – odd because basically you’re using the bbq like an oven

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I’m going to use indirect heat for about 2 and a half hours.

I’ll report back when its done and hopefully eaten!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I’m going to use indirect heat for about 2 and a half hours.

? Didn’t everyone say to do it for about 40-45 mins?

anagallis_arvensis

depends if you take the bone out and unroll it or not. I prefer lemon and mint to garlic and rosemary when BBQing..more summery flavour

joolsburger
    Free Member

Whoa 2 hours is way too long. 1 1/2 hours bone in 1 hour tops deboned jesus your BBQ ing it not cremating it.

johnj2000
    Free Member

We’ll? How was it? I just bought one myself so interested to know how you got on

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Go for it, you will not regret it. Very easy and pretty hard to mess it up. I would say about 90 minutes in the indirect method, if the leg weighs about +2kg.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

It was delicious. I cooked it for around 1.5 hours in the end. Meant to photo it, but forgot – it looked too damn good.

I think I will put less charcoal on in future and try to cook it for longer (I used a chimney full of coals last night, spread across both sides – I would probably use half a chimney next time).

Clobber
    Free Member

Nice Job… Sounds like sharkbait needs to brush up on his man bbq skills

johnj2000
    Free Member

So you just popped the thing on the grill closed the lid and left it? Or did you do some turning? Mine is arriving tomorrow and I am determined to do something other than sausages same burgers.

DrP

John…
    Put the coals inn one side, with pan of water the other.
    Then, on the cooking grate, out the joint above the pan of water. Then…leave the lid on!

It’s like roasting, but on there BBQ.

What I’m going to do next time is to have about half a chimney of unlit coals on the side, then tip the lit coals onto it. This should allow the cold coAls to light up as the lit ones burn out – keeping the heat constant for longer..

DrP

joolsburger
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75woX0rn1mA[/video]

riddoch

Are you using the Weber briquete or standard charcoal?
    The briquets do give a nice long burn but are bit expensive for normal cooking.
    I did a lamb shoulder end of the BBQ season last year with a metal tray under it with a bit of water. It was lovely but scary the amount of fat that came of. That was also a nice surprise the next time I opened the BBQ 🙁

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I used the weber briquettes last night – they lasted very well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ll stick with bone out, butterfly and 40 mins. Glad you enjoyed it though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per posts above I’ve done it with bone out / butteryfly / wrapped in double layer of tin foil. From memory we sealed/seared it first. Definitely let the coals cool a fair bit first, then lid on and don’t mess with it. Recipe/technique was from an Ainsle Harriet BBQ book.

myti
    Free Member

Can one do a whole chicken in the bbq? I fancy doing a roast dinner this weekend but doing the meat in the bbq. It’s only for 2 people so don’t want to shell out for a leg of lamb. Or any other roast meat suggestions?

joolsburger
    Free Member

You can cook anything, a whole duck is amazing on the bbq for example.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, with indirect heat.

We slapped some steaks on there the other day, it was amazing.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Shoulder of lamb bone in is excellent. A lot cheaper than a leg and it is also more moist.

I am going to try a piece of shoulder pork next.

Indirect heat with a tray of water underneath to stop the fat flaring up is the way to go.

iolo
    Free Member

I love indirect heat cooked meat. I have and aga. The cooked meat just melts in your mouth.

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Doing a chicken on the Weber is great, especially if you do it the stick a half can of beer up its bottom method. Just Google beer can chicken.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Spatchcock the chicken?

rkk01
    Free Member

Wonderful.

Had a large leg of lamb today, 2+ hrs in the BBQ… 😛

Basted with olive oil + lemon, lime & orange rind, garlic and mint. Cooked slow on indirect heat, with dried cherry wood to give a nice smoke to the outside….

sharkbait
    Free Member

I did a boned leg of lamb last week. Butterflied and gave it 15-20 mins plus the same again to rest….. was indeed very fab.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘BBQ question – Cooking a leg of lamb on a weber’ is closed to new replies.