BBC's songs of praise, a bit of a rant.

Home Forum Chat Forum BBC's songs of praise, a bit of a rant.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • BBC's songs of praise, a bit of a rant.
  • mt

Rabbi Lionel Blue was often very amusing and definatey confirmed it was “thought for the day”. Can’t see what people’s objection is as its as relevant as any of the guff that get spouted on the today programme. They don’t do news any more the do speculation and presenter ego massage. Just do the news and then get some decent stuff on the radio. Yesterday’s afternoon play was great, get more stuff like that on between 7 and 9 am.

Aristotle

mt – Member

Rabbi Lionel Blue was often very amusing and definatey confirmed it was “thought for the day”.

Indeed. Always a relief when it turned out to be his turn.

Can’t see what people’s objection is as its as relevant as any of the guff that get spouted on the today programme.

Er, really?

An hour or so of Today programme in the morning sets me up for the day. Remember folks, take any news or current affairs with a critical eye/ear.

AdamW

I used to hate it, now I simply turn it off when they start/can’t be bothered with it. If anything they should either allow humanists to have a thought for the day or simply rename it ‘Religious Thought for the Day’. And if you’re going to keep it religious allow all religions a chance. It would be interesting to get the Jedi (not ukbikeskills, though I don’t know..) point of view, or scientology or devil worshippers etc.

Perhaps put klaxons before and after it too.

chewkw

Was watching it last evening because I saw one gorgeous blonde babe singing solo but generally was just being curious of watching the “ceremony” and the facial expression of those people singing …

As far as the programme goes it’s rather relaxing knowing that the weekend is over.

julianwilson

Given the subject matter/content and the time it is on, Songs of Praise seems an ideal displacement activity for teenagers across the nation procrastinating about doing their maths homework due in the next morning.

Also, it is just what I would expect from a public service broadcaster in a constitutional monarchy whose head of state is also the head of the armed forces and “defender of the faith” of the Church of England. When my tax contributions stop funding all that, I will write in and complain about my TV licence funding songs of praise. *runs for cover*

konabunny

I’m not a Christian, I’m a Pantheistic Humanist,

Just choose one and stick with it ffs

Junkyard

Can’t see what people’s objection is as its as relevant as any of the guff that get spouted on the today programme.

This is just an opinion as someone of deep faith tries [ often with no subtly ] to shoe horn the latest events into an explanation of their deities mystical master plan – bit like you subtly shoe horned that argument in though I suspect they mean what they say more than you do 😉
    I dont really object to it per se just when it is on and that their is no non religious option. its like the compulsory act of worship in schools it just hard to avoid as it is always delivered irrespective of your view – why not broadcast it on Long Wave or give it a nice tune like the Shipping Forecast 😉
    FWIW the presenters are not allowed to comment on that section either just simply introduce it.
    It reminds me to switch the radio off and get up though so its not all bad.
    Of course christians/ther religioys deserve their own programmes just like every other niche type be it celebrity “the Voice” or whoever it is that watches perido dramas

Aristotle

julianwilson – Member

Songs of Praise…..
    …Also, it is just what I would expect from a public service broadcaster in a constitutional monarchy whose head of state is also the head of the armed forces and “defender of the faith” of the Church of England.
    Yes, it is a shame that, in some senses, the UK is still lagging behind much of the rest of Europe, somewhere in the Middle Ages. I can never quite fathom the fawning forelock tugging and homage to a publicly-funded pseduo-Disneyland-dwelling family (gaw bless’em) protecting our faith -from whom?

When my tax contributions stop funding all that, I will write in and complain about my TV licence funding songs of praise. *runs for cover*

Well, we can only hope that it happens soon.

surfer

I dont really object to it per se

I do object to the condescending and sanctimonious Anne Atkins and as far as I am concerned there is no place in hell hot enough!

Lionel Bloom sounds like an OK bloke

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

surfer – Member
    Atheist in lack of tolerance for fairy stories being rammed down their throats and having to pay for the privelage shocker
    FIFY

Don’t you just love tolerance!

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Surfer obviously has a problem with people who have a different world view than he…

Chill out Surfer!

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

bill turnbull

is a

c u next tuesday

surfer

Don’t you just love tolerance!

When it suits us eh?

Surfer obviously has a problem with people who have a different world view than he…

Not really if you want to believe in fairy stories then be my guest, just give back all the cash.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Chill out Surfer!

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Me personally or the world in general…?

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

mt – Member

Rabbi Lionel Blue was often very amusing and definatey confirmed it was “thought for the day”.

Hello mt, hello surfer, hello Junky etc, etc.

Lionel’s a bit of a star, and when we think about it, in a very real way, aren’t we all occaisionally?

I remember my aunt Jemima saying to me, many years ago………………. etc, etc.

Man’s a genius. 😀

surfer

Dont know, is there something you want to share?

ernie_lynch

Not really if you want to believe in fairy stories then be my guest, just give back all the cash.

Why’s that – do only atheists pay their license fee ?

surfer

I was thinking more broadly Ernie, you know, tax free status, exemptions, government handouts etc.

mefty

the UK is still lagging behind much of the rest of Europe, somewhere in the Middle Ages

I have lived in both the Netherlands and Germany and I would say that religion is much more firmly embedded in public life in both.

Mr Woppit

What’s “Songs of Praise”?

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Mr Woppit – Member
    POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

My weekly connection with Jehovah.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

surfer – Member
    Dont know, is there something you want to share?
    POSTED 43 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Depends… Will you absolve me of my sins…?

Mr Woppit – Member

The reason remotes were invented and why most of us can operate them

Junkyard

its what we all sing when you appear on a religious thread 😉

surfer

Depends… Will you absolve me of my sins…?

I’ll give it a go. You seem like a nice chap

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber
    thx1138

How on earth can anyone have a rant about songs of praise? 😆

Some people need to get out a bit more, stop shouting at the tv.

grahamh

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpNIwx32F30[/video]

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘BBC's songs of praise, a bit of a rant.’ is closed to new replies.