Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • BBC Sounds, worth the move from iPlayer Radio yet?
  • IHN

I love the iPLayer Radio app, but it’s days are clearly numbered. BBC Sounds got a bit of a slating in the early days, how’s it coming on, is it worth the move across?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Still doesn’t work with Android Auto so no.

richardk
    Free Member

Nope, horrible interface that can’t do anything useful

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    StuE
    Free Member

Doesn’t work with Chromecast audio, so another no

IHN

Well, that’s pretty clear then!

dove1

Works absolutely fine on iPhone.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

does iplayer radio still work? i’ve not used it in ages, if it works with android auto then that’s a bonus (although mostly still just use DAB for r4/6music, or spotify instead)…

Rubber_Buccaneer

iplayer radio still work?

Yes

it works with android auto

Yes

At least for me, for now.

BigJohn

I’ve got an Android phone and Windows laptop.

When out and about I like adding a track I’m listening to my BBC music library. I don’t seem to be able to manage this on Sounds. When at home I like to cast either live broadcasts or catch up to my Chromecast Audio. I’m not sure I can do that from my laptop either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Works for me but I’m basically just using it as a radio when I’m out, everything else is done via google home etc.

The casting bits and Auto were on the to do list, I assume that is why the old one is still there, nothing to actually stop people just downloading the new one and having a go, it doesn’t remove the old app.

Kahurangi

It’s a massive battery drain.

IHN

nothing to actually stop people just downloading the new one and having a go, it doesn’t remove the old app.

True, but what does the new one do that the old one didn’t?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t like the App personally, I did prefer the iPlayer format but then it took me yonks to get used to that.

The App is a little easier to navigate through, and catch-up stuff is easy to find.

Just not keen on it TBH.

iPhone/Mac/iPad…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

True, but what does the new one do that the old one didn’t?

Well it’s going to replace it 😉

It’s a new build so I expect it to get the stuff added as they go but I don’t really think they are going to keep developing the old one in any way.

StuE
    Free Member
    kcr
    Free Member

I tried Sounds after listening to all the BBC hype and was underwhelmed. It just seemed like cosmetic changes, with some backwards steps in functionality. I couldn’t see any reason to use it as long as the original app was available.
    It’s like the endless BBC ads that promoted wonderful DAB radio, when UK DAB quality is not actually very great, and worse than FM in some cases. They seem to be making up for a sub standard product by just advertising it relentlessly.

Gunz
    Free Member

My main problem with it is that it doesn’t give you sub-categories for drama, comedy etc, just a long list of everything they have. Also, it might have for more podcasts, but the ones I’ve listened to just seem to have all the bits that weren’t good enough for the main show.
    I can understand BBC radio wanting to appeal to a younger audience that is rapidly deserting them but I struggle to see how Sounds is an improvement at any level.

Del

When at home I like to cast either live broadcasts or catch up to my Chromecast Audio. I’m not sure I can do that from my laptop either

You can use the Cast button in the Chrome browser.

stevious

I use it on iPhone to listen to 6Music when I’m out and about and it works fine for that.

It’s not as easy to find on demand stuff as the iPlayer app. You just get uncategorised, unfilterable lists of everything to plough through.

The recommendation algorithms aren’t up to much either – 80% of my recommendations are food related programs for no reason I can fathom.

BigJohn

On Saturday and Sunday afternoons I like to listen to the RadMac show on catch up. But I’m reluctant to click on the Sounds 6 Music tab in case I’m assaulted by the voice of Liz Kershaw or London’s night czar, Amy Lamé.

Del

Liz Kershaw. The horror.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can’t download in as high a quality as in the old iplayer radio app.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Hiya!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘BBC Sounds, worth the move from iPlayer Radio yet?’ is closed to new replies.