Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • BBC News – WTF!
  • the-muffin-man

Is a story about a car recall that affect a tiny, tiny, teeny weeny proportion of people in the UK really worthy of the headline slot? Is there really nothing else happening in the world worthy of reporting on in-depth?

IMO The whole story has been completely overdone during the last week.

nonk
    Free Member

yip.with you on that.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yeah, massive corporations covering up life threatening defects in their products, coupled with the recorded voices of a whole family dying whilst using one of said products is always buried in the small items in the news…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djglover
    Free Member

Biggest car manufacturer in the world in safety recall affecting hundreds of thousands of cars worldwide

Not newsworthy you say?

"Perhaps old woman stuck up a pole for a week in Mansford Thirtysixborough" would suit you better?

Kahurangi

Yes it's overblown, but a car maker admitting faults and issuing a recall is rare enough that it []is[/i] news

I had the same fault (one of the original faults from a week ago) with my Yaris as the previous owner had not trimmed the floor mat down to the right size indicated. The mat would work it's way over the accelerator pedal eventually and you had to pull the mat back.

I had the same fault in the car I learned (and passed) in but Hyundai haven't issued a recall of '05 Getz…

project
    Free Member

More worrying is the amount of paper and envelopes theyre going to send out,will the post office be able to cope, and will Staples sell out of envelopes,should i stock pile DL size envelopes just incase.

rOcKeTdOg

it's not snowing anywhere in London

Geronimo
    Free Member

It is irritating me how the BBC keep saying things along the lines of: "Toyota, have spent decades gaining a reputation for reliability. What will consumers think?!!?!?!??"
    Probably nothing, until the BBC start spreading the (sacks of) seeds of doubt….

FWIW, I'm now no more or less likely to buy a Toyota.

It reminds me of THE CREDIT CRUNCH when the BBC appeared to be attempting to talk us all into financial oblivion.

it's not snowing anywhere in London

…or anywhere conveniently located on the nearby motorway nertwork, like Basingstoke, which headlined the news for a day or two when it had about 3" of snow and some cars had to queue in traffic, before everybody else got more 😉

Mof
    Free Member

I have been suprised at the way the media, especially the BBC have been milking this story. They seem to be dirt-digging in the same way they would if some celebrity/footballer had slipped up with an indescretion. Ok, it is quite significant, but it's not exactly the first notable vehicle recall and I'm sure it won't be the last….but I'll wager they won't all make the headlines. (A Toyota owner…with vehicle unaffected)

Crell
    Free Member

Overblown, but relevant from the point of view that Toyota has a manufacturing / assembly presence in England, and the job cuts are likely to continue as a result of this new-found £1bn cost. I'd be happy to deal with a company that was addressing a quality issue through a recall.

DaveGr
    Free Member

At the weekend the main news story on ITV was the England football coach not wanting to talk about sacking his captain. Turned over to the BBC and the main sports story was about a draw for a football competition in a few years time rather than sport that had taken place that day.

IMO first was a non event and the second might get a mention at the end of the sport for a few minutes.

jedi

i am waiting for the bbc news to in depth the life expectancy of ducks

Philby

More important and relevant for many people than the sexual indiscetions of some over-paid footballer and whether the alleged allegations merit him losing the captaincy of the England team. Also more important than another vacuous statement by David Cameron which the media seem to fixate on – more froth than substance in most cases.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

At least it gets that stupid footballing bloke off the lead news. Berry, or whatever it's name is.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Honda are at it now.!

bol

Cars are recalled all the time. This will be my third. I agree that the BBC have been gleefully milking it. I guess they think Toyota have got too big for their boots and a bit too smug about their hybrids.

Toyota certainly messed up on the PR front by waitig to be pushed into the second recall rather than pre-empt the media outcry. To me, that's their biggest failing.

I've got the prius with the brake recall. Frankly I'd have swapped these "faulty" brakes for the brakes on most other cars I've owned. If it had been a less high profile car, it would have just got a software patch at service time.

As for the person who called the emergency services rather than put their car in neutral or turn it off, I think they've got to be contenders for this year's Darwin Award.

spooky_b329

I've thought the same, yes its expected from the red tops, but the BBC seems no better. Lots of their news just seems to be scaremongering and doesn't help. I'm sure Renault didn't get this much attention over their Clio's dodgy bonnet catch that Watchdog latched onto, and Renault wouldn't even recognise the fault.

Reluctant
    Free Member

The BBC have their own agenda. "Credit Crunch" is the best example. Panic the nation, spread unrest and disatisfaction with the Labour government, vote in the Tories. Same is still going on now, so many news items are so biased.
    Listen out in the news for the BBCs key words – "banned" "sacked" "blame" "resign" – score 5 points for each word and see how many you get by the end of news at 10 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, massive corporations covering up life threatening defects in their products

When were Toyota covering it up? They listened to reports, tried to figure out what was wrong and given the amazingly low incidence of the problem finally worked it out. I don't think they've behaved badly at all.

News has to pander to what people want to hear to a large extent. Because the recording of the dying family was such a big deal the story had to be followed up. If you don't like it don't watch. Simples.

As for the person who called the emergency services rather than put their car in neutral or turn it off, I think they've got to be contenders for this year's Darwin Award.

Did you not read the massive thread about this? That they may not have been able to turn the car off or put it in neutral? Everythign was said there, I suggest you search. And stop making judgements about people when you know a total of f*ck all about the situation…

br
    Free Member

Every car company recalls models, all the time – and if they were really dangerous they'd be collecting them from the owners on the back of a transporter.

And one of the recalls is due to 'mats slipping under the pedals', hmm. User error here me-thinks, as probably every car I've ever driving without secured mats does this.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

all the tv news broadcasts (now including the bbc) have become an extension of the tabloid press, on the odd occasion i see tv news rarely is there anything that i would consider news worthy.

i've started watching a programme on bbc4 called news wipe, that puts all the news into proper perspective, much better viewing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

range rovers were notorious for th emat slipping problem, used to creep over the accelerator and the angle of the brake pedal meant when you tried to stop it cought the rug and push the accelerator down.

As someone up there said, nothing wrong with prius brakes, theyr just over cautious with the ABS. Apparently owners noticed they couldnt stop on the recent ice…………. but being prius owners they are beyond reproach so it must be the car's fault.

coffeeking
    Free Member

We all know it's a non-story.

I wonder if Honda are just coming out in sympathy 😀

jahwomble
    Free Member

"old woman stuck up a pole for a week in Mansford Thirtysixborough"

Do you have a link to that?

molgrips
    Free Member

Try the Today programme on Radio 4. If you can cope with the needlessly over-agressive questioning of some people, the rest is quite interesting.

DezB
    Free Member

Biggest car manufacturer in the world in safety recall affecting hundreds of thousands of cars worldwide

Very interesting figures by that chap from Porsche on Breakfast this morning.
    Out of over 150,000,000 Toyota cars…
    Less than 20 have been affected.

Oh, what a huge newsworthy story. I just bet my brother is soo pissed off at the moment.. He manages a Toyota garage, poor bastard!

BigJohn

Quite often the BBC produce a Moany Show special (usually Panorama or Donal McIntyre) and if there's not much happening on the day its due to be broadcast the news headlines will be "Britain's mosques are becoming over-run with muslims" or some such and at the end of the article they say "tune in to Panorama for a full report". Basically making the news an advert for one of their shows.

bol

No, I haven't read the thread molgrips, but I drive a prius with no ignition key and an auto gearbox, and I know that there is a button on the middle of the dash which will take it straight out of drive. I apologise if I was offensive. I didn't mean to be.

molgrips
    Free Member

We didn't know if the Lexus was a hybrid or not, and we thought that an auto under full load may not be able to be pulled out of drive.. Also we came to the conclusion that not having the mental agility to select neutral (something you never have to think about when you've driven autos all your life) should not mean death is deserving and fitting….

bol

I certainly never meant to suggest that death was deserving or fitting. I can't honestly think of a situation where it would be. Fair enough. Just alarming that we have reached the stage where people are so disconnected from the way their cars function, that they wouldn't be able to take it out of gear. Makes you think though – I honestly wonder if my wife, who hardly ever drives my car, would know how to do it – Toyota hybrid controls are certainly quite different from most regular cars. Now I've got the challenge of reminding her how to do it without appearing patronising. Thanks for that.

hamishthecat

Anything from about 8 years up to 20 I believe – but obviously less in the wild.

Ducks

boobs

Proper information, thanks

quack quack 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

The BBC have their own agenda. "Credit Crunch" is the best example. Panic the nation, spread unrest and disatisfaction with the Labour government, vote in the Tories.

Funniest, most misguided statement I've heard for ages.

More annoyed that they had a GP on tonight to talk about the 'non' swine flu epidemic. Guarantees loads of calls from muppets with a sniffle tonight and tomorrow. Made me wonder if the government have overstocked on Tamiflu and have to dispose of a few packets sharpish 😐

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘BBC News – WTF!’ is closed to new replies.