Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • BBC move to Manchester
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

100% of Mancs have no sympathy for the BBC staff who don’t fancy it and we look forward to taking their jobs.

As for London being ‘where its at’, if unsustainable living costs and ridicules commuting is ‘it’ then I agree.

Bunnyhop

I know Nick Robinson – chief political editor (I know his brother) is From South Manchester, so will probably be delighted to ‘come home’. Although in his case he’s better off in London with the politicians and government in general.

grum
    Free Member

Must be something in the water that makes people so miserable and ugly – anyone ever been to Wolverhampton?

Erm…. Wolverhampton isn’t in the north, shows how much you know. 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

uwe-r – Member
    100% of Mancs have no sympathy for the BBC staff who don’t fancy it and we look forward to taking their jobs.

Surely being literate and able to speak in a manner understood by all is a pre-requisite for these jobs?

😉

LHS
    Free Member

Erm…. Wolverhampton isn’t in the north, shows how much you know.

I know, it gets worse as you move further north!

Harry_the_Spider

All of you stop being silly.

Well if you are going to make jokes on what is clearly a very serious thread, then it’s hardly surprising if it goes straight over my head.

I got told off earlier for it.

Just out of interest… When the BBC move north are they going to be leaving a huge patch of prime land to be sold off for development?

grum
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s terrible up here – stay away.

(This is what I was doing when you were all at work on tuesday 😀 )

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/grum_wynne/5571374227/]Hellvelyn Mountain Biking (4 of 5)[/url] by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

“All of you stop being silly.”

Well if you are going to make jokes on what is clearly a very serious thread, then it’s hardly surprising if it goes straight over my head.

“I got told off earlier for it”.

So where’s the “telling off” then ?

Explaining to you that your subtle ironic humour went straight over my head, hardly constitutes a “telling off”.

I was simply pointing out that I’m not wise to this subtle forum banter. I don’t do sarcasm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

be fair grum whist you were doing that descent they could go two junctions on the M25 or catch a tube to the next zone

Harry_the_Spider

FFS Ernie. Is it my turn today?

I’ll leave you to it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes its your turn today. Take it like a man.

Stainypants

People live a pipedream of living in London and being at the hub of the country but then spend all their time working to fund a massive mortgage and either send their kids to private school or live with guilt of living in a £700K house yet have to send their kids to a school where English isn’t there first language. They hardly ever go into town and may as well live in small town anyhow as living in the suburbs of London that’s what you effectively you are doing but paying through the nose to do it. Well you welcome to it.

Plus from what I see on here all the mountain biking seems to be about arguing about access to muddy woods on someone else’s land.

Bunnyhop

Tags – no its not raining today in Manchester, infact it’s been a warmish dry day, if a tad windy 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

They have to right to not move and have their established lives disrupted. As always it will come down to how important their ob is to them and how important they are to the BBC

I wouldn’t move from London to Manchester,

ericemel
    Free Member

LOL@Stainypants – interesting sweeping perspective if complete t*ss

MartynS

its not 80% who have chosen not to come, its 54%.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I’m hoping to get a job at the new BBC place if they ever stop teasing with “we’re still recruiting – just wait!” emails and actually decide they want to interview.. Manchester seems a good location for riding with the peaks and north wales being so close. Rather that than London.

CaptJon
    Free Member

its not 80% who have chosen not to come, its 54%.

Is that not the figure for all the departments set to move?

hora
    Free Member

Thing is of those 54% a lot will just be sounding off until it comes to the crunch. I doubt the BBC will struggle to find any of the vacated jobs. No one is indispensible

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wun…..
    ….UNDRED!

Make way, make way!

Sorry I’m late everyone; bin out all day running around the Great Metropolis, such is the frantic pace of life down here!

Actually I spent some time today in the British Museum, looking at Chinese and Japanese artefacts and stuff. Utterly fascinating and tremendously uplifting. Chatted for a while with some Chinese tourists, who were loving the collection of jade artefacts. They were just loving their trip to London, and it made me, as a Londoner, feel immensely proud.

I’ve had a skim through all this, and it’s just the same old regional jealousy and resentment, with the odd bit of intelligent insight and opinion. Some sheer idiocy too, but I kind of expected that really.

As I’ve said; spreading stuff around the UK will allow the various regions to develop further, and will be good for the whole country. London suffers from having too much pressure placed upon it, cos everything gets squashed into one place. Spread it all out, and I reckon we’ll all benefit a lot more.

London’s success as a city is largely based on it’s geographical location, and historical importance as a port city. IOt has been well placed to adapt and change with the times, and had loads of money spent here to enable it to compete on a global scale. Probbly a disproportionate amount of money has bin invested in it historically, but that’s just how things are. Bristol was once a very rich city, yet Cornwall suffered. It’s how it is. Not a lot we can do about history, is there?

But we can shape the future. I feel that spreading stuff out will be good for Britain as a whole. Maybe one day Middlesborough can be the centre for I dunno, sculpture or dance or something. But it’s up to each region to make the effort to make it work, to develop exciting new stuff, instead of FLIPPIN MOANING ABOUT HOW UNFAIR EVERYTHING IS!!

Seriously, just shut up and get on with it. If you want your region to stand out, then do something about it. Be creative, develop yer own stuff. Give us something a bit more exciting than a Hot Pot and some brass baynds.

Me and Flashy will round up all the Fixie ****ts and send them all Oop North for you lot to sort out. TBh, most of ’em aren’t even from London anyway.

And you can have Croydon. You can bung it next to a nuclear power station or something.

There. All sorted now?

Good.

X

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ever been north of watford elf?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes. I’ve bin further north than the most northern point of the British Isles.

Next question….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Elfin. There are plenty of fixie ****ts in Manchester. Too many, they are from the south mainly, strangely enough.

I mean, Manchester was the hub of the Industrial Revolution, Sunderland was once the biggest ship builder in the country, and Middlesborough, well, make chemicals. But a lot of them, probably used in the capital.

London…a port city? I thought you supported Liverpool? Glasgow, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Manchester (via the canal), Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull – all port cities.

London = full of cockneys. Without the ‘ney’ bit. Sad, but true.

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have you ever bin to London? Full of ‘Cockneys’? You wanna stop watching Mary Poppins, sunshine…

If you want your home town to be great, then get up off yer lardy fat arse, and do something about it. Stop blaming everyone else for your own festering stagnation.

Seriously, stop moaning. Slagging off London won’t make your town any better, will it? Instead of being jealous all the time, make the effort to make your home town somewhere to be proud of.

We can help you with a few ideas, if you get stuck. 😉

winterfold
    Free Member

I am a former beeboid of some seniority but also a mancophile. Even if the Surrey Hills is better than heaven.

Overall this is a good thing to do.

The idea they won’t get the guests cos they are based Iin Manc is a joke. Interviewees and contribs will go to a London studio and communicate with the planet Manchester by the various miracles of modern broadcast technology.

Don’t feel sorry for former beeboids – peeps don’t leave there and find they are selling the big issue generally it does them good to have to work and do some selling.

edhornby

if all the londoners are so brilliant and clever, they’ll be thinking, right there will be opportunity to start up new companies (BBC will slosh some exit money around) lets go for it – or they think, great I take the existing skills and get a promotion cos I have the experience to bring when I move

and if the northerners are so brilliant and clever they’ll be thinking good, more jobs and and opportunities for support services

so who’s moaning? thick people

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

ivixxiv
    Free Member

[quoteI know Nick Robinson – chief political editor (I know his brother) is From South Manchester, so will probably be delighted to ‘come home’. Although in his case he’s better off in London with the politicians and government in general[/quote]

so you don’t know Nick at all do you, nor do you know the huge amount of charity work he, or his wife does in London

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Charidee?

We don’t like to talk about it actually mate.

brooess
    Free Member

If you’re a young media type then moving your workplace from West London to the Quays will be something of a culture shock. Now central Manchester maybe, but SQ just doesn’t compare…

nonk
    Free Member

my first time in london was working on the tour of britain about six years back. i had just driven from cardiff to london in a sprinter.
    whilst parking my van on whitehall for the crit a cockney chap taps on my window, i wind it down to see what he needs, he says…what’s the matter can’t you park you c**t? 😕 and skips of over the hill singing my old mans a dustman.

parked fine aswell and everything.

Grimy
    Free Member

Chatted for a while with some Chinese tourists

Liar. Everyone knows that if you say good morning to a stranger in london, perticually on the tube, youll be looked at like a frickin nut job. Chatting with a tourist, Ha, Perish the thought. 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

whilst parking my van on whitehall for the crit a cockney chap taps on my window, i wind it down to see what he needs, he says…what’s the matter can’t you park you c**t? and skips of over the hill singing my old mans a dustman.

😆

Knees up Muvva Brahyn…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I spent some time today in the British Museum, looking at Chinese and Japanese artefacts and stuff. Utterly fascinating and tremendously uplifting. Chatted for a while with some Chinese tourists, who were loving the collection of jade artefacts.

😕 Chinese tourists who were loving the collection of jade artefacts ?

Why ?……..hadn’t they seen any before – did they have to trot halfway across the world to see some ?

Sounds like a made-up story to me………..we couldn’t have stolen all of their precious artefacts Shirley.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe we bought or borried them, you cynical git? 🙄

I was most impressed with the collection of fine tourist women; examples from all over the Globe, and some beautiful specimens.

I think I may have frightened some Portuguese visitors though. 😳

I’m going to the V+A next week. Want to join me, Ern?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What day ?

Although isn’t the V&A full of poncey arty bollox ? …….I prefer my museums to have proper stuff like steam engines and things with buttons that you can push and that 😐

Although I suppose an arty one might have more crumpet 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thursday?

You can visit the Science Museum if you want to I spose. 🙄

V+A is more about art in design, really, than out and out art. Stuff like furniture and ornaments and stuff, not loads of paintings and fings.

Not that you’d know cos you’ve never bin probbly. 🙄

Propper nice totty in there though. Oh yes.

I seen a nice Japanese lass in the British, listening to one of them audio guide thingies, but she din’t speak no English.

Which was probbly a blessing in disguise for her really.

And some actress bird off the telly give me the eye in Russell Square. 😉 No, it’s true.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was at the Science Museum recently with my little nieces ……. we had a brilliant time doing all the kiddies stuff 8)

No I’ve never been to the V&A, and I guess going might give me a topic to talk about should I ever find myself in polite company. I don’t want to waste my time looking at stuff made of wood though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Look who’s moving 😀

BigJohn

The head or the body? That’s not a real pic you know.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘BBC move to Manchester’ is closed to new replies.