Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • BBC move to Manchester
  • bruk

Seems up to 80% of the staff on BBC Breakfast will refuse to move up north.

Persoanlly I think moving some of the programs away from London will help with giving a more balanced view of what is happening across the country and not just what is happening in media central London.

Probably be able to recruit staff for a lot less than in London too.

But it’s ok Susanna is sticking with Breakfast.

samuri
    Free Member

Seems up to 80% of the staff on BBC Breakfast will refuse to move up north.

We’ll see. I suspect they’ll change their minds when they find out if they can sell their two bedroomed apartment in London they’ll be able to buy an 8 bathroomed mansion in Warrington.

Grimy
    Free Member

meh, we dont want the likes of them here anyway 😆

Persoanlly I think moving some of the programs away from London will help with giving a more balanced view of what is happening across the country and not just what is happening in media central London.

Couldnt agree more. There’s more to england than London.

Joe

It’s **** ridiculous. Such politically correct bollocks.

How can the BBC move most of it’s news and politics programs to Manchester, when Westminster is in London…all the countrys politicians are in London, celebrities or experts are most likely to be based in London (or find that London is the easiest place to get to.)

London is the capital for a reason. It’s because its the central hub for the country’s transport and communication networks.

Silly silly move.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I suspect they’ll change their minds when they find out if they can sell their two bedroomed apartment in London they’ll be able to buy an 8 bathroomed mansion in Warrington.

I **** doubt it. Warrington’s a dump. Ask Binners…

BBC is based all over anyway. All the nature programmes and that are produced in Bristol, f’rinstance.

TBH the Beeb would do well to ditch the mindless low-brow stuff like Dancing on Ice and all that crap. Save a whole bundle of cash.

Silly silly move.

No, quite the opposite, I’d say. Too much stuff is based down here; government, finance, media. Clogs London up with loads of moaning miserable commuters, too much traffic and pushes prices up. About time stuff was spread out throughout the nation; no need for things to be based in particular locations any more.

Also, it would give those in run down deprived areas such as Birmingham, Manchester and Scotland something to have more pride in, if their cities were known for certain things. Then London could just get on with being the Greatest City on Earth, without all the crap we have to put up with. Like Northerners coming down here for meetings, and moaning about how much better everything is Oop North, yet they’d probbly still be wearing fur pants and living in caves if it weren’t for London. 😐

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    I suspect they’ll change their minds when they find out if they can sell their two bedroomed apartment in London they’ll be able to buy an 8 bathroomed mansion in Warrington.
    I **** doubt it. Warrington’s a dump. Ask Binners…

Waaaah…

I find myself agreeing with Fred.. 😐

He’s right tho…
    Warrington is a dump, sadly it’s a dump where I work 🙁

bruk

I still like the idea of making them move, make the politicos etc move out of their little bubble in London occaisonally.

As for celebs, they are only ever on to self promote themselves anyway so they will still turn up.

samuri
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was right, merely that they would be able to buy a much bigger house.

I work there too.

Bregante

Erm, technically the beeb is relocating to the fine city of Salford, not the neighbouring city of Manchester (I don’t think this will change the minds of the 80 percent though)

5thElefant
    Free Member

A company I knew relocated from Oxford to Manchester. Well, I say relocated, it folded when every member of staff refused to move (close to 100 of them). 😆

Bregante

TBH the Beeb would do well to ditch the mindless low-brow stuff like Dancing on Ice and all that crap. Save a whole bundle of cash.

You think that’s bad. I was down at the new media city t’other week and the beeb were making a pilot for a new game show called “scare the hare”. I lost interest at that point.

Grimy
    Free Member

pleanty of very nice places to live around manchester. Certainly better than the **** holes I pass through to get into london centre.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See? Look, there’s one of ’em there! ^ 😆

You don’t have to come here you know. You can always stay out.

All New Total Wipeout, on the other hand, is top quality Public Service Broadcasting. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

There’s more to england than London

Ah your parochial view is just a bit bigger than your southern cousins. I think you will find therre is more to Britain than England 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London is more to Britain than Scotland, however. 2million+ more people, for starters. 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Good luck to those 80% in finding another job, can’t blame them really. Like people have suggested, the hub will still be in London, but back room staff up north will probably be employed at lower rates, I expect that’s the reason. BBC are probably happy about the 80%, they can start the re-employ of back room expendables at lower pay rates asap. Sad but true, if you’re a PA, secretary or some other supporting staff.

Grimy
    Free Member

You don’t have to come here you know. You can always stay out

You think that if I had a choice I’d still go? 😆 Not bloody likely. A sentiment shared by most of us northeners who dont live in the southern bouble and know how much more there is to Britain or England for ever having gone there. 😛

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You do have a choice. Get another job. Let someone who actually appreciates this great city have it instead. Then you don’t have to ever leave that wonderful part of Britain you love so much.

Alternatively, just stop moaning. It’s quite simple really. 🙂

geordiemick00
    Free Member

The staff of the BBC staff refusing to move is the EXACT reason the Beeb are moving. Up North people get on with their jobs, they don’t moan about being asked to do their jobs they do it. People turn up for work on time, they set out earlier if the traffic’s crap, they don’t get allowances because they live inside a ring road and unlike the Beeb staff they don’t consider themselves indispensable.

I’ve done a lot of work at Media City and the whole area is top notch, it will be an eye opener for people to move away from the big smog, still have city living but not feel that everything’s 100mph 24 hour society..

And if they have a mountain bike they’re spoilt for choice 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Up North people get on with their jobs, they don’t moan about being asked to do their jobs they do it.

😆

Have you ever actually read this forum??!

Northerners always moan. They have to; it’s genetic.

And if they have a mountain bike they’re spoilt for choice

Yeah; ‘shall I ride in rain, or sleet, or snow?’ 😀

Grimy
    Free Member

Who said my trips are for work? I’m not moaning either, simply trying to point out that there really is more to britain than London and that whilst you hold your home town in great esteem which is admirable, its not the only place in our great country worthy of note. The tone in which is spoken about anywhere outside your pressious london is insulting and ignorent at best.

timc
    Free Member

Spread the eggs about, only fair! good long term move!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jeeze lighten up mate! 😆

Sure there are great places in the UK. But there are also many towns needing redevelopment, as traditional industries have all but died out. London has constantly evolved and adapted according to shifts in industry and technology. Other places haven;’t bin so well located, or thought of. Somewhere like Bradford has bin neglected, and suffered from a lack of financial and social investment. Moving stuff to such places can really help revitalise them, and give those who live there a greater sense of belonging. This in turn can hopefully encourage more investment in time and effort by individuals who live there.

Hence, I really do welcome the Beeb moving stuff out to other towns and cities. And I would really like to see large chunks of the financial sector leave London. mWould mean London would become less congested and housing in much less demand. HSBC etc can just as easily be based in Leeds, Liverpool or somewhere else beginning with L, as in London. Llandudno?

London is still the Greatest City on Earth though.

And Warrington is still a dump.

RustySpanner

Well at least that god-bothering smug heap of self-love Simon Mayo won’t be coming up here, one thing to be grateful for.

I’d rather chew my own face off than have to listen to him and Kermode congratulate each other on how funny, erudite and wonderful they both are.

God, he makes me almost as angry as Richard Bacon, a man so painfully proud to be stupid he makes Christian O’Connell sound intelligent, and O’Connell himself is thicker than a whale omelette.

And as for Nicky Campbell, my god, what species is he?

Apart from Fighting Talk, Radio 5 is a station for idiots, by idiots.

I feel better now. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Calm Rusty; calm.

And breathe….

FFS no-one mention Moyles. 😯

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

geordie mick, I think you are mistaken. Anywhere in the country, whatever the business, if people are required to go through a relocation or find another job, the majority will find another job. We are probably talking about the BBC back room minions, not the stars/presenters.
    I went through a similar forced relocation with an Oil Distribution company in North Yorkshire, the majority of our Head Office staff including me found other jobs locally, rather than relocate.
    This is probably no different, to relocate is a massive ask on anyone.

RustySpanner

When I am elevated to my rightful position as Dear Leader, all radios will only be able to receive BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4 or BBC Radio 7.

Oh, and Radio 1 will only broadcast Test Match Special.
    If there is no cricket being played, then there will be repeats of old Test Match Specials, Gardeners Question Time and vintage John Peel shows.

Listening will be compulsory.
    Well, apart from You and Yours, obviously. I may be a ruthless, heartless, autocratic tyrant, but there are limits.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Up North people get on with their jobs, they don’t moan about being asked to do their jobs they do it. People turn up for work on time, they set out earlier if the traffic’s crap, they don’t get allowances because they live inside a ring road and unlike the Beeb staff they don’t consider themselves indispensable.

BBC staff are scum aren’t they.

It makes you wonder how the BBC manage to employ only work-shy greedy low-lives ? I guess it must have something to do with their selection process.

Luckily there is an easy solution – the BBC only needs to relocate to the North and the problem is solved. Up North there aren’t any work-shy greedy low-lives for them to employ – even if they want to, and they probably do.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

When I am elevated to my rightful position as Dear Leader, all radios will only be able to receive BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4 or BBC Radio 7.

Racist.

BBC staff are scum aren’t they.

Oh of course. I’m just watching Orla Guerin reporting from Libya, from a vehicle in the middle of a battle. Lazy good for nothing workshy cah, reporting from a warzone to bring us accounts of what’s happening there, so that we may be aware of the reality of the terrible events in that country. She should be ashamed.

RustySpanner

“We all know, that people are the same wherever you go…..”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Never trust cats…

Grimy
    Free Member

Elfin, I share a lot of your sentiment, but I have to question weather london conscientiously evolved and adapted or weather it stumbled along with the title of Britains capital proping it up?

We have Britains desision makers looking after there own district when making important choices about things such as the olympics, which could have injected huge revitalisation into some of the more needy citys. Places with far more space to locate it, and I dare say where it would have been cheeper to build. London is looked after in a big way, what we do have in manchester or anywhere else is through bloody hard work with a lot of odds stacked against us.

I know what you wrote above is meant in the very best way, but it does sound from here like giving us the bbc is like the master throwing the dog a bone that we should be greatfull for. I fear that may be my own malignent interpretation, but damn right we should see some of britains public owned buisness spread out. We all pay for it!

Why in this day and age with the comunications technology we have, every buisness feels it needs to be centered in one, over priced, over congested place is beyond me.

And if Orla Guerin can report from Libya, the BBC can report from salfod bloody keys! lol.

On a lighter note…If the BBC news is to the houses of parliment, then match of the day should be to old trafford! right across the keys from media city. 😛

Harry_the_Spider

Has anyone asked if The People of The North actually want them up here eh… with their la-di-da ways, their skin care products and their raw Japanese food?

Leave ’em darn sarf and let all BBC current affairs shows be presented by Tony Livsey, Fred Dibnah’s re-animated corpse and The Tetley Tea Folk.

Brycey
    Free Member

The Marie Celeste, I mean Media City, this morning. I heard Sport are refusing to move until after the Olympics, although I have to little to base it on.

I also work in Warrington, and take offense at it being called a dump. It’s a feckless, souless, sh1thole! 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m surprised it’s only 80% who don’t want to move.

not because i think location A is better/worse than location B, but because these are people with family, friends, homes, etc.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I happen to research the TV industry so once I’ve dragged my broken body out of bed I’ll write something on the suggested reasons behind the move, and theories of what might happen as a result of the move.

hora
    Free Member

I’d be amazed that the 80% think they can get jobs within media still in London. They’ll be alot of competition for the jobs there at the sametime wont there?

I think the move up north is a great idea. Pull/focus attention to the area and finally push Manchester to the front. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The sport comment is rather valid – Why move away from where all the sport’s going to happen?

Seems absurd to me.

Equally, why move political news broadcasting away from where all the politics happens? Why move financial news broadcasting away from where all the finance happens?

Accept it, London is the capital city, it’s where most stuff happens. News is primarily repotring on that stuff, so why not be where the stuff is.

Besides, there’s already a large amount of local news to cover such vital stories as a new bus shelter in Nantwhich or whatever.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ita about time.

Teh BBC is far too londoncentric, London sucks money out of the rest of the country partly by having institutions based there and we get less value for our money from london.

The sooner Londoners realise that to the rest of the UK its an expensive smelly white elephant the better.

Elf – have you ever been north of watford?

hora
    Free Member

Capn, this is England not from NY to LA you know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘BBC move to Manchester’ is closed to new replies.