• This topic has 32 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • BBC in crap driving advice shocker…
  • Smee
    Free Member

… apparently when overtaking a snowplough you should remember that the other lane might not be gritted.

10 points for the first person to tell me what the correct advice should be.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Do not overtake a gritter/snowplough & stay well back from said gritter/plough

taka
    Free Member

oooo dont over take snowploughs

Smee
    Free Member

Well done. 😀

psling
    Free Member

Check if there's another snowplough approaching in the opposite direction before overtaking.

But… wait til its passed 🙄

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

you should under take as that lane will be gritted?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Flash your lights and tailgate them till they pull over.

taka
    Free Member

i hate snowploughs and gritters the spoil all the fun its better when im the only one in the village bezzing about on my quad and not getting stopped and booked by the police and points on my lisence before ive even got the damn thing!

GrahamS

Better advice would be "when overtaking anything at all (except snowploughs) remember that the other lane may not be gritted and might have random piles of snow on it"

Smee
    Free Member

Best advice would to stay at home.

GrahamS

Yeah, but some of us have jobs to go to 😀

Smee
    Free Member

MTB with knobblies is the only way to fly.

.duncan
    Free Member

i like the idea of trying to overtake a snow plough and just hitting a huge wall of snow 😉

porterclough
    Free Member

Perhaps they meant dual carriageways / motorways?

zokes
    Free Member

Almost, Smee, Almost….

You almost managed a thread without being a sanctimonious muppet. Then you suggested we should all stay at home.

Aside from that, your OP was actually quite amusing! How's your icy hill coming along?

anagallis_arvensis

Bloody gritter used to overtake me on my bike regularly when I lived in the frozen north, best advice shut your eyes and mouth.

MartynS

what bbc programme said that???

Smee
    Free Member

Zokes, I may have almost managed it but you failed completely. Icy hill now has 6" more snow on it than it did this morning.

MS – BBC news.

MartynS

local news, if so which one..??

Gary_C

Anyone had one of those huge gritters passing them on the motorway?

Its like the side of your car being machine-gunned! FFS.

andrewh
    Free Member

I overtook one on my bike. A snowplough is only good as the car it is stuck behind.

Smee
    Free Member

Think it was the national news tbh, if not it would be border, or scottish national news.

zokes
    Free Member

but you failed completely

I'm usually only sanctimonious to you though, and given most of your posts, you deserve it!

6" snow this morning when I went, 10" when I came back, -5 tonight, and no grit at all in blackburn. Guess I'm working from home by my fire tomorrow then…

Bunnyhop

It was the national news Martyn.

Made me laugh that people were phoning up the BBC to ask ' exactly what does it mean by, don't travel unless you really have to'.

zaskar
    Free Member

Find a service station and buy some food and reading or do some laptop work then drive.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Wait for the next exit (if on a motorway).
    Undertake said gritter in the extra 1 or 2 lanes made available to you as you'd not want to scratch the Lada surely.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This is the advice given by Semperit, the Austrian based tyre manufacturers, about overtaking snow ploughs :

"If you overtake, remember that where the snow plough pushes the snow to one side, a small bank of snow will form. Drive over this at an oblique angle to avoid having all your wheels stuck in the deep snow at the same time. Do not overtake snow ploughs working in tandem."

So apparently it's only snow ploughs working in tandem, which you should not overtake.

Mind you, I don't know whether they know any more about this sort of thing than the BBC.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/semperit/automobil/allgemein/sicherheit/sicherheit_nebelschlussleuchte_en.html

And btw, local authorities advise appears to be very simular to that of the BBC. A typical example is this one from Poole borough council :

"Give snow ploughs and gritters plenty of room – overtake them with extreme caution and only if your overtaking lane has been gritted or cleared of snow."

http://tinyurl.com/yb3hpyw

Jamie
    Free Member

What if you are driving another snowplough?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

or get out there and boot it.

Another question though when people see a gritter coming towards them why do the slow down? They end up getting gritted for longer

scaredypants

yeh, drop a couple of gears & really put your foot in – you don't want to be in the wrong lane for any longer than necessary in this* weather

* ZERO snow here 🙁

Drac

I'm not sure me getting stuck behind a snow plough is the best idea. Takes long enough to get to jobs anyway in this weather.

scaredypants

drac, spend more time in the opposing lane mate – let your work come to you !

Drac

lol

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘BBC in crap driving advice shocker…’ is closed to new replies.