Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • BBC – Dracula 👍 👍 👍
  • IdleJon

He’d been feeding a lot on Lucy, who had no fear of death?

Unfortunately I didn’t get that from Lucy’s character at all. She was just another vacuous young person who only lived for the moment. That’s not unusual in young people. I’ll bet many of us didn’t think about death when we were young.

1st episode was great. 2nd was rather tedious. 3rd disappeared up itself in a cloud of Dr Who/Sherlock inspired waffle.

colournoise

There was an explicit conversation about why he found her so fascinating? Conclusion was that she had no fear of dying. Admittedly, this could have been because she was vacuous and oblivious.

Unless I just made up scenes in my own head to make Moffat’s writing make some vague sense?

funkmasterp

So 500 years kicking about and she’s the first one he meets who hasn’t really worried about death. That’s poor writing right there. Started so well and suddenly turned in to Hollyoaks Vanpire edition meets Torchwood and Sherlock.

IdleJon

Unless I just made up scenes in my own head to make Moffat’s writing make some vague sense?

I think I may have done that as well. Wasn’t there a vampire killed to death by sunlight in the first episode? If so, that makes the conclusion nonsensical. But, as you say, I may have invented that. 😁

swanny853

Here’s a thought- Dracula thinks he’s afraid of the cross because he absorbs something of the essence of the people he feeds on and he thinks they’re afraid of the cross.

Surely it’s more likely then, that ‘Dracula feeds on people who think Dracula is afraid of the cross, so Dracula becomes afraid of the cross’. The same could apply to sunlight, the invitation thing and so on. You do get a bit of a chicken and egg situation to explain how it started, but most people 500 years ago would have thought the cross had power over evil, so that’s an easy one and I’m sure there some plausible explanation for the others could be invented. Once you’ve got 400 years of a self reinforcing cycle, it would all bed in.

RustySpanner

You do get a bit of a chicken and egg situation

I thought it was garlic?

slowoldman

Just caught up on the Mark Gatiss on Dracula programme. Worth a look.

johnnystorm

So 500 years kicking about and she’s the first one he meets who hasn’t really worried about death. That’s poor writing right there.

Transylvania from 1860 and then back 500 years probably had a high percentage of people who were petrified their sins would lead to eternal damnation?

kelvin

ep 3 was good until the last 5 minutes

That was how we felt about it as well.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Dracula thinks he’s afraid of the cross because he absorbs something of the essence of the people he feeds on and he thinks they’re afraid of the cross.

Sister Aggie banged on about that at length in ep2. Before dismissing the theory.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

The biggest problem of episode 3 was removing the best thing from episodes 1 & 2 until the very end – Sister Agatha.

swanny853

Sister Aggie banged on about that at length in ep2. Before dismissing the theory

Aye, but Dracula thought it and it’s more compelling than the eventual explanation if you ask me. It just didn’t explain the invitations, sunlight etc very well. Dracula absorbing the beliefs of people who have beliefs about vampires fits with it very nicely however. Thinking about it, Pratchett may have got there first actually.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Urgh. Ep3 was like being handed a cremated tesco value cheesecake and a plastic spoon, after dining on a main course of filet mignon.

Cilit Bang was really good as Camp Drac.

Dolly Wells was superb throughout.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I liked it.

Bless him, poor old Drac, he just wanted to be understood ….. Don’t we all !?!

IdleJon

Transylvania from 1860 and then back 500 years probably had a high percentage of people who were petrified their sins would lead to eternal damnation?

Possibly, but there would also be plenty of people unafraid of death in the warrior societies he lived through, as well as lots of vacuous young people in the nobility of those times.

The isolation theory* doesn’t really fit well with him identifying a film camera as soon as he saw it because he’d lived through 500 years of technological change, to paraphrase him.

*Isolation theory – he wasn’t exposed to sophisticated society because of where/when he lived.

chewkw
    Free Member

Possibly, but there would also be plenty of people unafraid of death in the warrior societies he lived through, as well as lots of vacuous young people in the nobility of those times.

Count Dracula was a warrior that was afraid of death as explained of by Sister Agatha.

oikeith

found the supporting BBC podcast on the sounds app with the creators quite interesting. Surprised to hear that the people in the boxes or wolf were contortionists not props or CGI.

funkmasterp

Count Dracula was a warrior that was afraid of death as explained of by Sister Agatha.

More the fact that it took him 500 years to dine on somebody who wasn’t scared of death. Highly unlikely if from a warlord / warrior culture. Episode three was just bobbins really. Could’ve been a truly superb retelling and just fell flat.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

500 years to find someone not afraid of death… who also happened to be vainy mcvainface – the diametric opposite of everyone he already said he found interesting…

wonnyj
    Free Member

Episode 3 was absolutely great until the lawyer bust him out of the Johnny Blue Eyes research facility. Bloody lawyers.

IdleJon

Episode 3 was absolutely great until the lawyer bust him out of the Johnny Blue Eyes research facility

I was troubled by this! 😀

Would van Helsing really have allowed him access to the wider population so easily? I didn’t believe for a minute that she would unleash a plague of vampirism. And all she needed to do was to open the roof and expose him to sunlight and the problem would vanish in a puff of smoke. In theory,,,,

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The average colander has fewer holes than that ep3 plot.

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘BBC – Dracula 👍 👍 👍’ is closed to new replies.